IGNORED

Help to get atarimuseum.nl software collection available to the community

Fred_M

Hi Mr. Bacardi,

Yes I know, Roland is keeping me in the loop. So it was not "really" a coincidence ;)

There will be more on AtariWiki ;-) I already created some pages for the Dutch releases and uploaded some missing stuff like the manual for the HDI interface, 1050 Turbo etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if people are (still) interested, but I uploaded all original Dutch Atari Benelux releases to Atariwiki.

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Articles#section-Articles-DutchAtariSoftware

And I started uploading some of the Atari UK titles. A.o. the Star Raiders tape from 1987 and the 1985 release of The Lone Raider (both missing on Atarimania)

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Articles#section-Articles-GreatBritainAtariSoftware

More titles will follow ;)

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 5

Hi guys,

I received a request from AtariAge user Solaris104 to upload the original image for the Polish game Deimos and we need your help again ;) Because the disk is copy protected. I found no bad sectors on the disk. It loads like normal, but after the decrunching disk drive activity keeps on going and the game won't start.

Maybe one of you guys can help to fix this one ;) I looked at various sources and could not find an original image.

Thanks again!

Fred

Deimos_NOT_WORKING.zip

• Like 2

There was also a topic at atarionline.pl about Deimos, since most (all?) copies/hacks/cracks could not be finished. (You could not take the last item and therefore the congratulations screen never appeared.) I wanted to test this bug with my original + copy-protected version of Deimos, only to find out, that my original version was kaputt... luckily the original disk could still be formatted, so I copied a cracked Homesoft version onto the disk.

http://atarionline.pl/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=939&page=1#Item_0

Strange, a link with google translate does not work there... but after the half of the topic, we change to english language anyways (since I do not talk nor understand polish language)...

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Interesting topic Andreas :thumbsup: I know of some Dutch games which recognises the lack of the copy protection. The games Whoops and Thinx had such a protection. When people did not hack Whoops and Thinx properly, the player got less seconds to complete the levels. For example each level in Whoops was only 14 seconds when hacked wrong. Fun fact is that Mirage forgot about that protection when they released Whoops in Poland. So every Mirage copy of the game is faulty. Many of those "wrong" versions can be found on the internet :) Fandal cracked Thinx the right way a few years ago. But also in his hack you still have to deactivate the happy or speedy, When Thinx starts with a title screen the game has loaded correctly. If the title screen does not appear (with happy/speedy) you get less seconds to complete the levels.

I see that Solaris104 was also part in the discussion about Deimos at Atarionline. So I don't know what his intentions were when he asked me (his PM was only one small sentence).

Edited by Fred_M

Well, I guess he wanted to know if that bug (last item cannot be taken) is only in the hacked/cracked versions or if it was already there in the original version of Deimos...

The cracked version by Homesoft was fixed, so now the last item can be taken and one can reach the congratulation screen (tested this successfully)...

Edited by CharlieChaplin

I wanted to test this bug with my original + copy-protected version of Deimos, only to find out, that my original version was kaputt... luckily the original disk could still be formatted, so I copied a cracked Homesoft version onto the disk.

You reformatted the original disk and wrote a crack over it??? Not sure that is a very good idea. You erased a (I understand) rather rare original disk. Just because it doesn't work that doesn't mean it can't be dumped and the whole content and protection recovered.

Did you make a dump before reformatting the disk? If not I would recommend next time at the very least to do that before reformatting an original disk. Personally, I wouldn't write over an original disk at all, but that's me with my disks.

• Like 2

You know, I am evil ;-)

I have approx. 100 original disks and killed the copy-protection on all of them by writing a hacked/cracked copy on the diskettes instead. Why ? I do have several 1050 drives all with Speedy 1050 upgrade and I do not want to slow the upgrade down anymore (I found it awkward to slow down / switch off Speedy with various copy-protected games). Furthermore I do not like and do not preserve copy-protection, instead I always search for hacks/cracks that come without copy protection but also do not show any hacker/cracker intro... just my personal decision.

DjayBee already contacted me and asked me if I could "give" (mail, etc.) him some of my orginal disks so he could preserve them for your preservation project. And I answered him, that this is redundant, since none of my original disks are orginal anymore, instead all of them have been erased / written over with a pirate-copy (without any copy-protection and without hacker/cracker-intro)... ;-)

Yes, I am so evil ;-)

LOL an evil Charlie Chaplin :cool:

Ijor don't worry ;) I have around 1000 original commercial Atari 8-bit titles in my collection (not incl, disk magazines etc.) and the collection is still expanding. I am in contact with Farb to preserve my collection for the community and I have not reformatted the media :grin:

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1

I have approx. 100 original disks and killed the copy-protection on all of them by writing a hacked/cracked copy on the diskettes instead.

They are obviously your disks to do with as you please, but this just makes me sad to hear :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have approx. 100 original disks and killed the copy-protection on all of them by writing a hacked/cracked copy on the diskettes instead ...

You know, in the field of classic collectibles, like stamps, coins and paintings, there is a very nice saying:

When you pay for a rare item you don't really become the owner. You are paying for the privilege of taking care of the valuable for the posterity, until eventually passing the item to another person or institution that would take care of it as well as you did.

Yeah, it isn't exactly the same in this case, but the analogy is still valid to some extent.

• Like 1

Great to hear Solaris104!

It is time for "new" stuff again ;) I have mastered the skills to make cas files :grin: . I have uploaded several stuff to Atariwiki, but now I am going to start here with cassette games which are not avaliable online yet. All files are made from the original sources I have in my collection.

I am going to start with a number of educational titles by Milleken publishing. The titles are mentioned on Atarimania but there are no download copies available.

The Jar Game / Chaos

Published by Milleken in 1982

Boot the cas file with basic.

Covers: https://atarimuseum.nl/wp-content/uploads/photo-gallery/The_Jar_Game_cass_front.jpg & https://atarimuseum.nl/wp-content/uploads/photo-gallery/The_Jar_Game_cass_back.jpg

Frenzy / Flipflop

Published by Milleken in 1982

Boot the cas file with basic

Covers: https://atarimuseum.nl/wp-content/uploads/photo-gallery/Frenzy_cass_front.jpg & https://atarimuseum.nl/wp-content/uploads/photo-gallery/Frenzy_cass_back.jpg

As with all files in this thread, I don't mind if people upload these files to other sites. But I would appreciate it if the source (atarimuseum.nl) is mentioned ;)

Enjoy!

Frenzy-Flipflop(1982)(Milliken)(US).zip

Jargame-Chaos (1982)(Milliken)(US).zip

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 5

And another goodie ;) This title is on the Atarimania's Master List Of Missing / Undumped Software ;)

From the Belfast Atari Users Group (or BAUG): First Steps: The Graphics Tutorial. Published in 1984.

Load the cas-file in basic with RUN "C:"

Enjoy!

First_Steps_cass.jpg

First_Steps_Graphics_Tutorial(1984)(Baug Software)(UK).zip

• Like 5

The next title is a Dutch one. I could not find it anywhere on the internet and this one is also on the Master Want List of Atarimania.

Topografie Europa

©1986 Radarsoft

Boot with option

One quick question. I don't get a lot of feedback of the AtariAge users when I publish these files. So I would like to ask if you (the reader/downloader) are appreciating these posts? I am trying to get these undumped software out there, but if there is no interest in them, I am going to spend my time on other things ;)

The cover is of the C64 version. I know one other Dutch collector who owns this title and his copy also came with the C64 cover. So maybe it does not exist?

Topografie_Europa_cass.jpg

Topografie_Europa (1986)(Radarsoft)(NL).zip

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 5

One quick question. I don't get a lot of feedback of the AtariAge users when I publish these files.

I've been doing the preservation thing for quite some time now (and quite a lot of effort), so I'll say this... don't do it for the feedback :P

People do appreciate this stuff - you just aren't going to hear about it much in my experience :)

• Like 3

I've been doing the preservation thing for quite some time now (and quite a lot of effort), so I'll say this... don't do it for the feedback :P

People do appreciate this stuff - you just aren't going to hear about it much in my experience :)

Thanks for the advice ;)

Edited by Fred_M

One quick question. I don't get a lot of feedback of the AtariAge users when I publish these files. So I would like to ask if you (the reader/downloader) are appreciating these posts?

As you already know, Fred_M, I appreciate your contributions and the hard work required to make them. But I'll reiterate publicly... thank you!
  • Like 1