IGNORED

The Legend of Tilda

PeteE

I don't know, just look at any MSX1 Konami game for examples of making great looking games on the 9918A back in the day. It is too bad some of that development did not make it over to the 99/4A.

The TI was already off the market once MSX games started to hit in the 1984-ish timeframe. It would have been more likely for it to get more ColecoVision ports, but obviously the processor differences were a barrier even though the audio-visual abilities were similar. It's also important to remember that TI actively discouraged third party support until near the end of its mainstream commercial lifetime. That certainly didn't help with pushing the system to its limits.

• Like 1

yeah action adventure sounds good, but is to long :) And there is action everywhere :)

As I already have tagged all (mostly text-)adventures with "ADV", what about "G-ADV" for graphic adventures ?

Would also be cool for filtering for "ADV", to get text AND graphic adventures....

I would say the genre is mixed evenly between action and RPG. Combat is real-time, and is not based on chance. You are able to upgrade your weapons, shield and armor as you progress through the game. Your stamina (max hp) increases each time you find a heart container. The overworld and dungeon maps never change, so your experience points increase as you play (plus you can exp-boost by looking at gamefaqs.)

Edited by PeteE
  • Like 1

Sigh... just imagine if the TI had games like this back in the day. It would have been no. 1 no doubt. Commodore 64? Pah!

I suppose it's the tools that really make this kind of thing possible today. Back in the day we'd have rudimentary tools running on the machine itself and a pencil and some squared paper and a notebook!

When I were a lad...!

EE by Gum, you were lucky too 'ave rudimentary tools.

For us t'were abacus or nowt. ;)

• Like 1

FWIW, the usual classification of Zelda-type games is Action RPG due to the mixing of the two genres.

Hoping we end up with a map editor in the end so that this can be not just a LoZ recreation (which will be awesome and I'm definitely glad to be one of the first to try it), but also something a little more unique for the TI.

A map editor is not in the plans. It may be possible for someone to modify Magellan to add an export format for metatile strips, which is how the levels are compressed in Tilda. See my post on the previous page for an explanation of how it works. The level designer would need to take care to reuse as many strips as possible, to keep the total number of unique strips at or below 256.

How did I do it? I took an existing map image, wrote a C program to convert the PNG image to metatile bytes, then further reduced those to metatile strips, which could be imported into assembly as binary data.

• Like 2

Oh my! I just had a chance to test this on Classic99 and wow does it look cool! I can't tell you how excited I would be to play this on real iron if the rest of the game is done as well as what you've done so far. I haven't bought any homebrew or modern non-flash carts for any of my vintage systems (except for the awesome Extended Basic cart!) but I would buy this in cart/box form in a heartbeat. As someone who spent a lot of time with the original Zelda and who's first computer was a TI 99/4a this is the bomb!

I don't know what happened to my post asking for a YouTube video, but if anyone can upload one really quick I'd love to see it. It's going to be a while before I can try it on my TI but I can't wait to see and hear it!

I am incredibly impressed with the work you've done. :-D I need to get my Gauntlet clone going...

You have managed to capture the EXACT feel of the original game down to movement of both the player and the monster A.I. The Tenktites aren't jumping yet but I'm sure you're working on that. :) Did you do this by extracting data from the original game, or did you achieve it by experimentation?

Are you rotating sprites to reduce flicker? I looked and there were only a few times sprites got wiped out by the hardware limit.

I definitely want a copy of this on cartridge when it's complete!

• Like 4

It's even more amazing than I imagined! Those Octorocks even look like the same algorithm is controlling their movement. Just how far do you intend to take this?

As far as I can manage. I've already got the dungeon tileset ready to go, as soon as I finish the overworld.

You have managed to capture the EXACT feel of the original game down to movement of both the player and the monster A.I. The Tenktites aren't jumping yet but I'm sure you're working on that. :) Did you do this by extracting data from the original game, or did you achieve it by experimentation?

Yeah, I'm taking my time to mimic the feel of the original as closely as possible. I play the original in the FCEUX emulator with frame advance (backslash key) to count the animation frames... tedious but worth it.

Are you rotating sprites to reduce flicker? I looked and there were only a few times sprites got wiped out by the hardware limit.

Not yet, but I intend to.

I definitely want a copy of this on cartridge when it's complete!

Me too! Though if you have a FlashROM it will play on that, and Omega tells me it works on the FinalGROM too.

By the way, here is an RPK for MAME. I assume the cartridge is intended to be a 378 type.

Right, it's a non-inverted banked cartridge. Thanks, I'll try to use your RPK for new releases.
  • Like 3