IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 10 Round 7 Rescue On Fractalus

zylon

Our game for round 7 is our first go at Rescue On Fractalus. Start from level 1 and do not skip levels. Emulation is fine, as are custom controls. Pics preferred, but not required except for HSC wins and records.

Round ends Sunday, May 14th 2017 @9pm EST

Final scores:

413,715 Northcoastgamer +11

249,747 sdamon +10

220,382 eegt97 +9

133,473 jblenkle +8

17,801 atariron82 +7

1,850 RangerG +6

195 oyamafamily +5

Rescue on Fractulus.bin

Edited by zylon

317,348. From levels 1 - 16, it's easy to distinguish the human pilots from the aliens by the color of their helmet. The aliens will be wearing green helmets, the humans, a white one. From level 8 and on you can also find the "Ace", who dons a purple helmet and by rescuing him a good amount of energy is replenished plus 2,000 points. So it's a good strategy to try and land with the downed ship in view so you can watch the pilot running towards you to see the color of the helmet. If the pilot has a green helmet, fry his alien ass using the thrusters. After level 16, this strategy goes out the window though because some of the aliens will be wearing a white helmet as well. You will also have to deal with the night and day phases on the planet from level 16 and up. I believe it's 9 minutes of daylight and 9 minutes of darkness. During the higher levels, there can be 40 or more Jaggi Gun Emplacements atop the mountains, so I try to take out as many of them as possible (if not all) at the start of each level before attempting any pilot rescues.

post-34612-0-04875600-1493995668_thumb.jpg

post-2092-0-78910700-1494529222.png

Finally was able to clear a night and play this game. Sadly, I wasn't really defeated by the Jaggies... more like a combination of fatigue and my bored cat, Izzy. She was getting annoyed with me for playing this thing for hour after hour and insisted on getting some attention. I failed to properly pause the game, just leaving the ship on the ground after a rescue. When done entertaining the cat, I came back to the game to find my energy depleted, and the game over. Just as well... it was nearly midnight and I wouldn't have been able to keep playing long enough to beat the master anyway.

This is a cool game that was way ahead of it's time, but should it ever come up again can we PLEASE start the game at level 16? Once you learn how to properly play the game, the only real challenge going up to that point is finding the time and the will to slog through each level.

• Like 1

413,715. This session took about 6+ hours today, so I would agree with sdamon that the next time it's played it should be started at a higher level. From level 25 and up, the Gun Emcampents are numerous and lock on to the ship with deadly accuracy. I was able to clear level 30 practicing at higher levels but couldn't get thru level 31. I also noticed that some of the downed pilots with white helmets were aliens on level 11. But there's not too many until level 15+.

post-34612-0-26262100-1494551739_thumb.jpg

413,715. This session took about 6+ hours today, so I would agree with sdamon that the next time it's played it should be started at a higher level. From level 25 and up, the Gun Emcampents are numerous and lock on to the ship with deadly accuracy. I was able to clear level 30 practicing at higher levels but couldn't get thru level 31. I also noticed that some of the downed pilots with white helmets were aliens on level 11. But there's not too many until level 15+.

Another amazing score! I don't know how you found it within yourself to run through this game again... I know I need a long rest from it after my Wednesday night run. But congrats on the killer score!

220382. I tried again, but it's just hard to keep focus for that long, let myself get killed in a really dumb way after getting more than my quota. Definitely agree with you guys, start at level 16 next time. More challenging and fun that way.

I will say this, I had forgotten about the aliens wearing white helmets in the upper levels the previous time I played. I about jumped out of my chair the first time that happened!

post-8282-0-32114800-1494767652.jpg

I made it through the first level to at least try the game. I just don't have the time for this one. It seems really fun though and this would have been a great title when it came out. Both this and Elite for the C-64 are on my some day list.

Our first go at this title goes to Northcoastgamer for a possibly obsessive performance. :thumbsup: :-D Great job by all and our next round is up now. Fear not, it's a much shorter game. I promise. ;) Standings updated shortly...

Final scores:
413,715 Northcoastgamer +11
249,747 sdamon +10
220,382 eegt97 +9
133,473 jblenkle +8
17,801 atariron82 +7
1,850 RangerG +6
195 oyamafamily +5