IGNORED

Intellivision games on Samsung Gear VR (Oculus)

Rev

http://www.pr.com/press-release/714130

Hadnt seen anyone mention this.

Looks like first title is Minotaur.

https://youtu.be/K_EILqHk2GM

I had to look up what Gear VR was. Ha. Not into the VR stuff yet.

https://www.oculus.com/gear-vr/

Here is the Minotaur info page.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/gear-vr/1283593541663549/

Developer: http://solomonslair.com

post-19433-0-99058300-1493612525_thumb.pngpost-19433-0-66334600-1493612548_thumb.png

post-19433-0-95264900-1493612652_thumb.png

Edited by Rev
  • Like 1

I just got a Gear VR, but I don't understand this. Will the intellivision games simply run emulated on a large virtual screen, or will be turned into full 3D, fully VR games?

I understand your plight. For a 'press release' it was kind of light on gameplay details as well as the official website.

For 4.00 download, maybe splurge on getting it and give us a nice review!

I learned about this a couple months ago from Keith. I wasn't at liberty to mention it at that time.

He had a demo unit in the office, but I didn't try it, as VR causes instant motion sickness for me in a very bad way (even just a couple seconds). That's an area of gaming I'll ever get to enjoy.

As far as the game, my understanding is it plays like the original. It doesn't pan around as you move like you would think of VR - turning your head is equivalent to tapping left or right on the disc, and the screen changes.

Sent from my Keyboard Component using Jack's Conversational Intelli-talk cassette

I learned about this a couple months ago from Keith. I wasn't at liberty to mention it at that time.

He had a demo unit in the office, but I didn't try it, as VR causes instant motion sickness for me in a very bad way (even just a couple seconds). That's an area of gaming I'll ever get to enjoy.

As far as the game, my understanding is it plays like the original. It doesn't pan around as you move like you would think of VR - turning your head is equivalent to tapping left or right on the disc, and the screen changes.

Sent from my Keyboard Component using Jack's Conversational Intelli-talk cassette

Have you tried Dramanine?

Then I'd be sleepy AND throwing up.

I can't read in the car either.

Its worth it. Its intellivision we are talking about.

• Like 1

Hi Rev,

Thanks for posting this thread! Im the founder and developer of Minotaur and all future Intellivision titles for VR ports. You already have the most relevant links but wanted to add my Youtube channel which is really my Dev Log with some gameplay videos. https://youtu.be/K_EILqHk2GM. I will start posting in-game mixed reality Gameplay soon.

To answer a few questions on this post, this game is completely comfortable in a VR environment as movement is turn-based and methodical like the original. You are actually in the game with 360 degree views. Some changes to original gameplay were required due to the new VR medium but it holds true to the original as much as possible. We will be updating and adding additional content over the original gameplay like global leaderboards for timed quests i.e. (collect x crowns, kill x dragons, etc)

To Nurmix, to bad you couldnt get to play the demo with Keith and Karen. I hope he is doing better...

We want to upload a build to the android playstore for google cardboard play soon but need to convert game to completely gaze-based due to lack of controllers for that platform.

We have many more titles planned with Astrosmash, Shark Shark, B-17 bomber, Night Stalker, Multiplayer Auto Racing and Space Spartans in the pipeline. It is a challenge to determine the best way to port each game into VR space so any feedback you have would be great. Certain trademarked titles and games cannot be used or ported due to additional licensing issues but all original titles are fair game.

Either post here or send direct email to contact@solomonslair.com and please spread the word! Happy gaming...

Brian

• Like 5

Hi Rev,

Thanks for posting this thread! Im the founder and developer of Minotaur and all future Intellivision titles for VR ports. You already have the most relevant links but wanted to add my Youtube channel which is really my Dev Log with some gameplay videos. https://youtu.be/K_EILqHk2GM. I will start posting in-game mixed reality Gameplay soon.

To answer a few questions on this post, this game is completely comfortable in a VR environment as movement is turn-based and methodical like the original. You are actually in the game with 360 degree views. Some changes to original gameplay were required due to the new VR medium but it holds true to the original as much as possible. We will be updating and adding additional content over the original gameplay like global leaderboards for timed quests i.e. (collect x crowns, kill x dragons, etc)

To Nurmix, to bad you couldnt get to play the demo with Keith and Karen. I hope he is doing better...

We want to upload a build to the android playstore for google cardboard play soon but need to convert game to completely gaze-based due to lack of controllers for that platform.

We have many more titles planned with Astrosmash, Shark Shark, B-17 bomber, Night Stalker, Multiplayer Auto Racing and Space Spartans in the pipeline. It is a challenge to determine the best way to port each game into VR space so any feedback you have would be great. Certain trademarked titles and games cannot be used or ported due to additional licensing issues but all original titles are fair game.

Either post here or send direct email to contact@solomonslair.com and please spread the word! Happy gaming...

Brian

Could you go a little more in-depth (if possible) with the process converting or porting the intellivision games/code to Gear VR, are they emulated?

Thanks.

No problem...This is not an emulator. It was built from the ground up in Unity 3D specifically so it took some time to recreate everything. For example each maze consists of 4 random maps out of a possible 16 so each map had to be hand made from scratch in 3D exact to the original, same with models although some are sprites. Also, this is one of the few titles that did not have annotated source code so some things had to be reverse engineered as the original programmer Tom Loughry could not be reached for Input but there are many comments of his game design on the web that were referenced.

I posted another VID with actual gameplay in Gear VR. Sorry for quality as our studio is still WIP.

Nurmix, if this game makes you sick then truly you may have to sit out the VR revolution:) It is very comfortable due to turn based play.

Regards,

Brian

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Brian

I keep imagining Shark Shark, Night Stalker, and Auto Racing done in a first person perspective. What exactly are you envisioning for these games?

Edit: Curious if you contacted Intellivision Productions about this work. ...Sorry sounds like you have.

I think redoing a game like Star Strike might be a good idea. Change the gameplay a little so it is more fun. The problem with the original was flying a damaged ship was not fun. So maybe add ship repair. Shouldnt need to tweek too much to make the game more fun.

Edited by mr_me

Certain games lend themselves to VR ports. Mostly any game with 1st person perspective such as b-17, space spartans, space battle, star strike, trucking, etc. Games which are top down shooters, mazes will be more difficult and may be emulated within a VR scene. More importantly, If we implement Night Stalker as a 1st person game are you really playing Night Stalker as you remember it or is it just an entirely new game?

Its a balance between keeping original gameplay but making it compelling in VR.

For shark shark for instance you could be sitting in front of a large fish tank in a VR living room but play an emulated original game in 2d with the back of the VR fish tank being the screen..

For Space Spartans we plan full VR mode and will take the strategy map and place it in cockpit so you never have to leave that view and we can add hyper space effects for enhanced gameplay not in the original.

So some games may be emulated in a VR space and some will place you in the game depending on gameplay of original.

I will post PC based example scenes of simulated environments which we will emulate and play certain games and hope for some feedback from this community.

• Like 1

I can't make the room.exe file work. "There should be 'room_Data' folder next to the executable"

You can make a 3D first-person Night Stalker play exactly like the original. You would have a small map display that looks exactly like the original game and blocky 3d models of the original robots and maze. I'm thinking Auto Racing to be a first person or behind the car perspective view with those tan colored houses modeled in blocky 3d. Auto Racing would need blocky 3d cars, computer controlled, to race against. Now that you mentioned Imagic games I'm thinking a first person perspective version of Microsurgeon. That was the original programmer's initial idea; of course he quickly abandoned it. I wouldn't expect Microsurgeon to be high on your list but you got me thinking about it. B17 Bomber is obvious but I hope you don't duplicate the sudden change in difficulty that ends the game unfairly in the original. I agree that duplicating the original gameplay is the way to go, but there are some issues in some of the original games that can be fixed..

• 2 years later...