IGNORED

RespeQt r4 released

Joey Z

Haven't looked at Respeqt in quite awhile. Can it now write to as PC folder?

It can if you use SpartaDOS X and PCLINK. The solution is magnitudes better than trying to intuit a file system from raw sector writes but it does mean that DOS 2.5, MYDOS, etc, can't write to imaged folders.

It can if you use SpartaDOS X and PCLINK. The solution is magnitudes better than trying to intuit a file system from raw sector writes but it does mean that DOS 2.5, MYDOS, etc, can't write to imaged folders.

Is there a good explanation of setting up and using PCLINK someplace? I've been seeing stuff mentioned about it, but have been a little too busy lately to really get into it. However I would like to change that, and get educated on what it is all about.

- Michael

9.5.1 PCLINK.SYS - link to a PC file server
Purpose
Install PCL: device allowing the DOS to act as a client of a file server using the
DOS2DOS protocol. The file server may be a PC running SIO2BSD or similar peripheral
emulator, the PCLink software and DOS2DOS protocol allow to access files stored
directly on the file server's (PC's) disk.
Syntax
DEVICE [d:][path]PCLINK
Type
External - on SDXTK disk.
Availability
As of SDX 4.43.
Remarks
The file server must be up and there must exist a physical connection to it at the time
the PCLINK.SYS is loaded. Currently the only existing compatible file server is SIO2BSD
(an APE-like peripheral emulator running on BSD and Linux via the SIO2PC cable).
The driver installs device PCL: which works quite like CAR: except it is writable and
recognizes subdirectories. Files on PCL: (hosted by the file server) may be then freely
managed using ordinary DOS commands such as DIR, COPY, REN, DEL, MKDIR, RMDIR
and so on. The device is also registered in CIO - as DPCL: and accessible from (e. g.)
Atari BASIC as such.
There may be as much as 15 PCL: units, depending on how many are hosted by the file
server. They're numbered the same way as disks, i. e. PCLA:-PCLO:
The driver by default uses the internal SIO drivers and UltraSpeed fast I/O protocol
(which means that the file server may also be attached to the PBI bus, if any time
anyone builds such a device).
The driver works best with SDX 4.43 and later.

Just put pclink.sys in your path and call via autoexec.bat or direct command line.

and use PCL1: or PCLA: 15 slots available. 1-9,J-O or A-O.

pclink.arc

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I haven't dug out my 8-Bit in a while and I want to give this a whirl.. Will it run from a USB Flash drive?

Well, since you have to plug an SIO2PC type device into a USB port anyway, why not just install RespeQt right onto whatever Win/Mac/Linux box you're using?

Well, since you have to plug an SIO2PC type device into a USB port anyway, why not just install RespeQt right onto whatever Win/Mac/Linux box you're using?

Portability. I may bring my 8-bit to a friend's house tonight, and I don't want to install things on his PC.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry but is what your saying pclink is bsd only... so no direct hd access on windows, mac etc.? really not looking forward to fighting with all that sorry need this package/library/dependency crap again.... I'm to impatient, forgetful or mentally old for that anymore....

so back to APE pc mirror and APE remote for me?

but I so wanted respeqt...

Edited by _The Doctor__

ok why is it I have respeqt 2 and went thru all that was needed then and that works as best as it could back then on my XP machine...but when I download respeqt 4 and unzip it.. it doesn't?

I must have lost my brain because it is same com port it is same handshake line dsr it is same speed all the tick marks are the same but no dice....

so rolled back to r3 and it works on dsr and cts.....3x works on both atr's, etc and pclink

r4 still not doing anything with either dsr or cts or with the edge toggle either...

Now I'm confused regarding your SIO2PC cable. Does it use DSR or CTS or does it have a switch?

Can you provide more information about it (perhaps a diagram)?

Today I will take my XP old laptop with a real rs232 and retest the R4 release.

whats to confuse, my cable can be set to all 3 and anybody can move wires to select what control line to use with a soldering iron....

.hardware within the dell line of laptops at this time tests out as follows the fastest switching control line is dsr the next fastest is cts and the next after that in the sio2pc realm is ri

APE has a diagnostic built in to it for testing this also.... and it is surprisingly well done... to get to a user friendly verions of it a person can use the configuration wizard in APE.

and since I don't want to use an oscilloscope or analyzer to watch and count these things again I'll use tuckers built in exerciser diagnostic...

it will bombard each com port on your pc interface and connected hardware switching control lines. you then tell it to display the diagnostic log.... you will get a summary of the results

consistant with my manufacturers line I got the results for com2 dsr 32004 cts 32003 ri 16001...

with that info I select dsr as my go to control line... but you said you were using cts etc. in one of your messages to I switched to cts control to be just like you....if it had worked you would now to look at your dsr involved code but it didn't ...

so this pc prefer dsr, can use cts but wouldn't suggest using ring indicate for anything other than drive control mode selection (pro mode) make real floppies etc...if you've gone so far as to make a selectable cable.... since r4 doesn't work with any of my rs232 sio2pc devices and r3 works with all of them.... and APE works with everything as well.. I deduced the problem still lies with r4...

Edited by _The Doctor__

very good, your posted fix in the other thread is working!

might I add you also have correctly handled ring indicate on the edge as it is suppose to...

ring indicate operates perfectly with the box tick for the edge and does not with the edge box unticked.... that is exactly how it's suppose to work...

so now I can use r4 with everything including ri !

all control line selectable all devices working...

com2 dsr 32004 cts 32003 ri 16001 as it should be!

you did it!

• Like 2

I don't know if we have enough changes for r5, but I create a pull request for the latest fix on the develop branch, so JoeyZ can integrate it to the master branch once it is so far.

It’s up to Joey of course, but changes to correct a regression (plus the new check box work-around for Arduino folks you have also made) are good reasons for a release, even in the absence of big feature additions.

• 2 months later...

I don't have my A8 hardware unpacked and running again yet, so cannot test RespeQT properly.

I just wondered if there was any support for fast-forwarding and rewinding through a *.CAS image? I mean the kind of situation where you want to cue up the second or third game on a 'Atari Greatest Hits' or whatever tape. I think I asked JoeyZ about this way back in the R2 days and I totally appreciate his answer when he said this would be very low priority--so absolutely no worries. I just wondered if it had managed to make its way into the current build yet.

• 6 months later...

Yes, exactly that. I once wrote a small utility in VB and IIRC, it was a trivial thing to do. I forget the details, but it should be fairly simple in any language.

Yeah, but RespeQt is written in C++ using the Qt libraries. I know it's possible to specify platform-specific compile options but I don't know how trivial it is to tell an app to reside in the "hidden icons" rather than the main taskbar. The Qt website probably has info if you want to download the source and try to do it.

• Like 1