IGNORED

TIPI - TI-99/4A to Raspberry PI interface development

The question makes sense, but I have no idea what the answer is.

There is buffering on the server send side. The output buffer is handed to OS TCP stack and I don't know if it is necessarily sent if the server initiates disconnect. I imagine it is, given how common that case is with http servers.

Then there is buffering in the receiving computers TCP stack.

Often higher level programming languages end up adding another layer of buffering.

-M@

k.

The update is available now. v1.40 - just changes this contract as now described on the TCP extension page of the wiki... read now returns a 0 length array if the socket is not connected. -- tested Irata.Online, Telnet, FTP...

Chatti, snek, and chess do not use the TCP extension, so shouldn't be impacted.

-M@

Hello jedimatt42,
Today I have the update on version 1.40 activated and my TI99 worked about 15 minutes on the update. I thought there is something wrong.
The TIPI card LED flashes and nothing happens.
After 15 minutes I reset my TI and as I assumed, the PI / TIPI was faulty.
The TI could not start anymore. After selecting XB in the FG99 the screen stays blue and the TIPI card is constantly lit.
Now I have restarted the PI and then turned on the TI99.
After selecting XB or TI BASIC everything seems to be OK.
But a CALL TIPI leads to blockage and the TIPI LED lights up permanently.
I think I have to create a new SD card.
Can I download the version 1.39 or 1.40 somewhere?
On your website I found only the version b29.
Greetings from Germany
Wolfgang

I will work on an updated base-image for the SD card tonight.

The software change was tiny, but the update process deletes and rebuilds python environments in case an update included any new dependencies. This puts demands on the SD card.

I may spend some cycles making updates more context aware.

-M@

• Like 1

Hello jedimatt42,
Today I have the update on version 1.40 activated and my TI99 worked about 15 minutes on the update. I thought there is something wrong.
The TIPI card LED flashes and nothing happens.
After 15 minutes I reset my TI and as I assumed, the PI / TIPI was faulty.
The TI could not start anymore. After selecting XB in the FG99 the screen stays blue and the TIPI card is constantly lit.
Now I have restarted the PI and then turned on the TI99.
After selecting XB or TI BASIC everything seems to be OK.
But a CALL TIPI leads to blockage and the TIPI LED lights up permanently.
I think I have to create a new SD card.
Can I download the version 1.39 or 1.40 somewhere?
On your website I found only the version b29.
Greetings from Germany
Wolfgang

just curious, did you try the manual update process in the faq?

https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/FAQ#q-if-tipicfg-upgrade-fails-what-should-i-do

• Like 1

just curious, did you try the manual update process in the faq?

https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/FAQ#q-if-tipicfg-upgrade-fails-what-should-i-do

No, I only accepted the autoupdate displayed on the TIPICFG screen.
Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I used DM2K before the update. Sometimes, when I use the DM2K tool, I get access to the DSK1, DSK2 and DSK3 shown.
Yesterday I had DSKx drives mapped to TIPICFG, but only DSK1 displays the TIPI directory. DSK2 and DSK3 both showed the directory of physical drives in the PEB.
Then I made a new SD card with vB0.29 and update to vB0.36. Now everything works again with Beta0.36. But I will do the auto update today at 1.40.
Now I have created some images of the different TIPI versions with my configurations. So I can try the update with and without DM2K.

No, I only accepted the autoupdate displayed on the TIPICFG screen.

Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I used DM2K before the update. Sometimes, when I use the DM2K tool, I get access to the DSK1, DSK2 and DSK3 shown.

Yesterday I had DSKx drives mapped to TIPICFG, but only DSK1 displays the TIPI directory. DSK2 and DSK3 both showed the directory of physical drives in the PEB.

Then I made a new SD card with vB0.29 and update to vB0.36. Now everything works again with Beta0.36. But I will do the auto update today at 1.40.

Now I have created some images of the different TIPI versions with my configurations. So I can try the update with and without DM2K.

Shouldn't make any difference.. If an update fails do that procedure.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Force Command doesn't have a Disk copy feature. Just files. I'm sure that is what you meant. DM2K doesn't disk copy either. (I just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea.)

And I expect many people use DM2K as a browse and launch tool. It excels at that.

-M@

Have you tried Force Command's disk copy function yet?

Yes, copy function works very well between TIPI folders and physical disc drive.

But DELETE works only from the path you are currently.

[1000.TIPI.MM.]

$ COPY MM-X 1100.DSK2.MM-X <-- This works very well!

[1000.TIPI.MM.]

$ DELETE 1100.DSK2.MM-X <-- This isn't working

file not found TIPI.MM.1100.DSK2.MM-X

[1000.TIPI.MM.]

$ CD 1100.DSK2.

[1100.DSK2.]

$ DELETE MM-X <-- This is working!

Wolfgang

Force Command doesn't have a Disk copy feature. Just files. I'm sure that is what you meant. DM2K doesn't disk copy either. (I just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea.)

And I expect many people use DM2K as a browse and launch tool. It excels at that.

-M@

Yes, I use DM2K to list files in my TIPI folder, and then select multiple files to copy to a physical disk.
DM2K works mostly between TIPI folders and physical drives, but sometimes I get a drive or file error,
then DM2K shows me only the physical DSK2 and DSK3 and not the mapped folder in the TIPICFG.
I think that was my problem yesterday when I tried to update tipi to 1.40 and it went awry.
Today I used some programs like REMIND ME and DM2K and everything works fine. Then I made the update to 1.40 and it works as expected. Everything is OK.

I can't reiterate enough that your use of dm2k has absolutely nothing to do with the update

You are right, it was not the DM2K. Maybe it was the disk error I got before. Maybe sometimes I have a problem in my PEB.

Today I tried the same thing and I had no problems.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/10/2019 at 4:13 PM, arcadeshopper said:

you change the hostname this is stored in /etc/hostname on the pi change that file then reboot the pi is the simplest.. I changed my tipipeb to be tipipeb as i have a sidecar tipi thats just tipi.. note, when dealing with the tipi in shell TIPI will always equal localhost.. the way its programmed in the tipi sw..

It's been awhile since I asked about changing the host name on a second TIPI, but I am doing it now.  I have an open telnet connection to the TIPI.

I am at the prompt:   tipi@tipi:/$

I can do a command:  cd tipi

However, I do not see a file I should edit, etc.  Can someone provide some more detailed instructions?  Preferably being able to do it from the TIPI telnet client.

Thanks.

Beery

Edited by BeeryMiller

It's been awhile since I asked about changing the host name on a second TIPI, but I am doing it now.  I have an open telnet connection to the TIPI.

I am at the prompt:   tipi@tipi:/$

I can do a command:  cd tipi

However, I do not see a file I should edit, etc.  Can someone provide some more detailed instructions?  Preferably being able to do it from the TIPI telnet client.

Thanks.

Beery

File is etc/hostname and etc/hosts

Or run raspi-config and change it there

The hostname command requires a pointer to a file.  It looks like I found another command that is supposed to change it, "hostnamectl"

I use:

hostnamectl set-hostname tipi2 <enter>

When I do that, it then tells me it needs to authenticate as: root

I have tried passwords of tipi, raspberry, "no password, i.e. <enter>" without success.  I assume there is another password???

Beery

The hostname command requires a pointer to a file.  It looks like I found another command that is supposed to change it, "hostnamectl"

I use:

hostnamectl set-hostname tipi2

When I do that, it then tells me it needs to authenticate as: root

I have tried passwords of tipi, raspberry, "no password, i.e. " without success.  I assume there is another password???

Beery

Try sudo first

sudo hostnamectl

Pwd should be your current user pwd

On 11/10/2019 at 3:29 PM, arcadeshopper said:

Try sudo first

sudo hostnamectl

Pwd should be your current user pwd

Thanks for the feedback as that worked and posting what I did if other RPI users will need to do what I did.

I did a:

sudo hostnamectl set-hostname tipi2

This then gave the second tipi the name of tipi2.

So, with Computer Manager on a Windows 10 system, I could then specify a device path of:

\\tipi

and on another window, specify:

\\tipi2

I could then drag and drop files from both PI's.  Now, just need to get my PEBox TIPI, so I can then use Myarc Basic on my TI system RPI's drive so I can boot the 128KOS file from it.

Beery

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

I have tested 128KOS from TIPI, Supercart, and a Foundation 128k card... seems to work fine.  

---

I mentioned elsewhere, I'm working on print to PDF via source for a project I found called RetroPrinter  https://www.retroprinter.com/   The EPSON ESC/P to PDF conversion code was open sourced, and I've managed to wire it up to a TIPI device called PI.PIO 

I've implemented support for the device name options: .LF, .CR, and .NU  ( no one should need .NU ) so line endings can be controlled per record.  It's nice to finally have a good understanding of what those options are all about. 

Anyway, I have a couple bugs to work out, including how to deliver the upgrade... but it seems to be mostly working...  Here is a little something from the TI-Writer formatter. 

print_2020_01_01_T16_20_17.pdf

Now I need help.  I'm looking for a variety of printing tools that would be EPSON printer friendly.  I tried TI-Artist Plus. It prints 4 records to the PI.PIO.CR or DSK1.FILE and then locks up... Anyone have a disk image for a TI-Artist version they know can print?  

I'd like to get up to page-pro and all that wysiwyg stuff I was using in the sunset of my first TI round... But TI-Artist seems like an obvious 2nd step... ( TI-Writer was the first step, TI BASIC was step 0 ) 

-M@

• Like 2

Great work Matt!  Looks like I will be able to finally print from a TI or Geneve system when you release the updates.

Regarding the 128KOS, I assume you are referencing the file for Myarc Basic for the TI-99/4A.  Is the TIPI the only device answering DSK1 in the system?  If not, what CRU are you using?

Beery

38 minutes ago, BeeryMiller said:

Great work Matt!  Looks like I will be able to finally print from a TI or Geneve system when you release the updates.

Regarding the 128KOS, I assume you are referencing the file for Myarc Basic for the TI-99/4A.  Is the TIPI the only device answering DSK1 in the system?  If not, what CRU are you using?

Beery

TIPI is at crubase >1000. I have a rarely used TI floppy controller in there >1100. No others.

Yes, by 128KOS, I assumed you also meant Myarc BASIC v2 for the 4A... as far as I can tell Myarc BASIC on the 4A and 128KOS on the 4A are synonymous.  Please correct me if there is a possible ambiguity.

-M@