IGNORED

TIPI - TI-99/4A to Raspberry PI interface development

What does one do to confirm the TIPI enable line?  I am running both .BAT files that were in the distribution file Matt provided.  Is there something else I need to do?  If so, how?

Beery

It's right there in the tipi enable check box line

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

5ef0deaf2d82fb4bf229700af532bdbd.jpg

2 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

Also I'm assuming your running all this in the same pc..

Telnet to localhost port 9901

I am not able to connect via telnet to 9900 or 9901, however I do get a response from 9922 with "SSH-2.0-OPENSSH_7.p1 Raspbian-10+deb10u2".  Any keypress after that I get the protocol mismatch.

The ports, and purpose are as follows:

9900 is the TIPI webui, you HTTP to it. 

9901 ( I just heard PeteE say ) is the websocket... 

9922 is forwarded the the SSHD inside the emulated Pi, you ssh to it. 

If you telnet to 9900, it should just stare at you blankly until you submit an HTTP request - this is different than getting a connection failure... 

I would expect the 9901 port to also accept your telnet connection, but then just stare at you until you send something meaningful to it. It also does not speak the telnet protocol.

9922 sounds like it is working perfectly by your description. 

---- (This isn't setup or configuration, just a confidence/verification dance)

Login to the emulated TIPI, there should be a login prompt on the QEMU window..

Then tail -F /var/log/tipi/tipi.log

Refresh the browser page for js99er.net - Wait a bit.. give it a minute... 

Observe the log, it may show a new round of TIPI READY, if the TI Title screen is showing up.

Press the js99er RESET button. Wait a few seconds, and observe the log? It should show a new TIPI READY message, and the TI Title screen should come up.

When you have TIPI enabled in js99er, the 4A emulation is blocked until it establishes a connection with the PI emulation on the websocket ( port 9901 ) - this can be intermittent when QEMU and the OS running inside is busy getting warmed up.. It'll act like js99er is locked up... just wait... 

Then, you should be able to go to BASIC, and run CALL TIPI. 

It should load the usual status and configuration details. 

6 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

The ports, and purpose are as follows:

9900 is the TIPI webui, you HTTP to it. 

9901 ( I just heard PeteE say ) is the websocket... 

9922 is forwarded the the SSHD inside the emulated Pi, you ssh to it. 

If you telnet to 9900, it should just stare at you blankly until you submit an HTTP request - this is different than getting a connection failure... 

I would expect the 9901 port to also accept your telnet connection, but then just stare at you until you send something meaningful to it. It also does not speak the telnet protocol.

9922 sounds like it is working perfectly by your description. 

---- (This isn't setup or configuration, just a confidence/verification dance)

Login to the emulated TIPI, there should be a login prompt on the QEMU window..

Then tail -F /var/log/tipi/tipi.log

Refresh the browser page for js99er.net - Wait a bit.. give it a minute... 

Observe the log, it may show a new round of TIPI READY, if the TI Title screen is showing up.

Press the js99er RESET button. Wait a few seconds, and observe the log? It should show a new TIPI READY message, and the TI Title screen should come up.

When you have TIPI enabled in js99er, the 4A emulation is blocked until it establishes a connection with the PI emulation on the websocket ( port 9901 ) - this can be intermittent when QEMU and the OS running inside is busy getting warmed up.. It'll act like js99er is locked up... just wait... 

Then, you should be able to go to BASIC, and run CALL TIPI. 

It should load the usual status and configuration details. 

I will give it another go this evening.  When QEMU loads, it does some kind of "silent" login.  I can do commands like CD, DIR, etc in the QEMU window.  Is there a login after that?

I do know when I use the Windows Telnet client, when I did a telnet to 9900 and 9901, it just sorta sat there, and then when I hit the enter key, it returned back to the prompt.  Sounds like that is working.

I also tried the Reset button as well to no avail.  When I look at the debugger window, it appears as though nothing is running.

Please also note in the event it was overlooked, my post from last night that said "I copied files over from one of my tipi's to the tipi_disk folder in the tipiqemu folder  I run nfs_tipi_disk.bat in one dos window.  I get a message at the end of "vpb_sic_write: Bad register offset 0x2c".  Not sure how critical this is."

Will try some things again this evening.

Beery

I will give it another go this evening.  When QEMU loads, it does some kind of "silent" login.  I can do commands like CD, DIR, etc in the QEMU window.  Is there a login after that?

I do know when I use the Windows Telnet client, when I did a telnet to 9900 and 9901, it just sorta sat there, and then when I hit the enter key, it returned back to the prompt.  Sounds like that is working.

I also tried the Reset button as well to no avail.  When I look at the debugger window, it appears as though nothing is running.

Please also note in the event it was overlooked, my post from last night that said "I copied files over from one of my tipi's to the tipi_disk folder in the tipiqemu folder  I run nfs_tipi_disk.bat in one dos window.  I get a message at the end of "vpb_sic_write: Bad register offset 0x2c".  Not sure how critical this is."

Will try some things again this evening.

Beery

That sounds like the older version of the package

37 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

I get the bad register message too, does seem to be a problem

Are you able to run the emulation though? 

I've got two other Window's 10 systems, 64-bit, I can test at home.  Note, all three Window's PC's are 64-bit in the event there is something different going on between a 32 bit and 64 bit environment.

Beery

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BeeryMiller said:

Are you able to run the emulation though? 

I've got two other Window's 10 systems, 64-bit, I can test at home.  Note, all three Window's PC's are 64-bit in the event there is something different going on between a 32 bit and 64 bit environment.

Beery

Sorry, that is what I meant by my typo... :) should have read 'does NOT seem to be a problem'

I'm on windows 10 - 64 bit... 

Running the browser on the same system... I've only tried google-chrome.. 

• Like 1

For giggles, I installed and tried Google-Chrome.  I was able to run js99er with TIPI enabled.  Apparently, something with Microsoft Edge is not liked within the TIPI configuration of js99er.

Within my program, I poll the TIPI/PI for time, and after that, AfterHours increments the time based on an interrupt routine in the code.  JS99er doesn't like that as it advances the minute display as though it were the seconds advancing.  This is likely something specific to JS99er.

Anyways, I will be chasing things down tomorrow.

At least I have somewhere to start from.

Thanks for everything.

Beery

• Like 1

I tried MS Edge browser just now with JS99er and TIPI/QEMU, and seems to work okay.  Make sure that you only have one TIPI-enabled JS99er at a time, otherwise they will probably fight over the websocket connection and nothing will work.

• Like 1

Well, I got QEMU with TIPI support to work with JS99er.net, but only with Google Chrome.  It doesn't want to play nice with Microsoft Edge.  I did take Greg's advice when he commented earlier it sounded like I was using an older version of the image.  Filenames were all the same in the download from Matt within image, but after loading that image up under QEMU, I had to login instead of the automatic login.

I haven't been able yet to chase down my issue with the debugging of AfterHours, but I did confirm my code was doing what I thought it should have been doing thus far.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Beery

Edited by BeeryMiller
  • Like 2

On 7/13/2020 at 12:53 AM, BeeryMiller said:

Well, I got QEMU with TIPI support to work with JS99er.net, but only with Google Chrome.  It doesn't want to play nice with Microsoft Edge.  I did take Greg's advice when he commented earlier it sounded like I was using an older version of the image.  Filenames were all the same in the download from Matt within image, but after loading that image up under QEMU, I had to login instead of the automatic login.

I haven't been able yet to chase down my issue with the debugging of AfterHours, but I did confirm my code was doing what I thought it should have been doing thus far.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Beery

I haven't checked in detail, but I suppose that the same mechanism that is used in QEMU could also be used on the real TIPI? 

What would it take to connect JS99er.net to my real TIPI?  Do I have to add a websocket server on the TIPI?

30 minutes ago, retroclouds said:

I haven't checked in detail, but I suppose that the same mechanism that is used in QEMU could also be used on the real TIPI? 

What would it take to connect JS99er.net to my real TIPI?  Do I have to add a websocket server on the TIPI?

You just have to do step 1 on this page:  https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/blob/master/emulation/README.md

but then it won't talk to your hardware again until you delete the file. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, GDMike said:

I have made my own tipi clock code if anyone wants it. I'm not sure if the code was released or not, when I did a search for "tipi clock" I didn't see any source code.

I'll post  basic and an assembly version here later .

I use the assembly version all the time!  My bucket list has an item to make the TI a practical daily driver for more than simply games.  Maybe 'someday' your code will be integrated into Force Command to display the time and date on the extra lines of the 80 column display.  Right now though I use it mostly as a screensaver and to set my watch.  In it's current state of evolution I like the easy exit feature of using the SPACE BAR to exit back into Force Command when I'm finished.

TIPICLOCK

• Like 2