IGNORED

Using Sine and Cosine

I'm fairly new to VisualbB having only picked it up over the last week.

After looking through the forums and help files I'm unable to find any code to generate Sine and Cosine.

I've put together an example file where I've hard coded the Sine into a data Array but as the array length is 255 it's taking up a large chunk of my code.

Is there a way to generate sin in ASM?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEFT/RIGHT - Select Sine/s

UP/DOWN - Adjust Sine/Cosine frequency

FIRE - Change sound

Dueling sines.bas.bin

Dueling sines.bas

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S Thanks to the community, it's given me a great introduction to programming for the 2600

If you only need an approximation and can get away with a small deviation from a "real" sine function (I often can), you can also use parabolas to generate sine tables in assembly.

EDIT: Of course RAM to store the table is a problem here, but you only need half a sine table (or even only a quarter) and can mirror the other half, and also a shorter table (128 or even 64 bytes for the full sine table) might be sufficient.

Edited by Kylearan
  • Like 1

I've never considered splitting into 4 sections before as every other language I've used normally has a function you can access directly.

Now you've mentioned that it seems really obvious, just check the overflow amount and invert accordingly.

Again thanks for the great advice.

there's some stuff with tables here

the last one (that notes that it's not very accurate) could be made accurate without too much trouble

I should have done an accurate one and one not so accurate for comparison, but I was in a hurry

I doubt the difference would be obvious

edit: there's also this thread

I know I've seen 6502 CORDIC code but I can't remember where

Edited by bogax