yell0w_lantern

Raiders of the Lost Ark Thoughts

Yeah the thing is.. it shows up twice, once at that point, and again near the end. I'm not sure if that's a pre-requisite for the "maximum" points.

I just thought I'd give this thread a bump to salute "Raiders of the Lost Ark" on its 38th birthday! The movie premiered in the US on June 12, 1981.

I'm sure there's a thread here somewhere about which 2600 game was the earliest (officially licensed) mainstream movie tie-in, but this game is the first one that stands out to me. It's a fun game in its own right, but as I've said before, it was made even "deeper" by the sounds and images from the movie that I "superimposed" onto it in my imagination when I played it as a kid. Likewise, I found myself imagining what the elements that were unique to the game (the Spider Room, the Black Market, the Valley of Poison, etc.) would have been like had they appeared in the movie. Thus, the movie and the game complemented and extended each other for me, which was a novel experience at the time, and one that I can still remember and enjoy when I play the game today.

Something else that I still enjoy: the creativity of the graphics, especially the Indy walk cycle! The Indy sprite is something like six pixels wide by ten pixels tall, smaller than most mouse pointers today, yet it actually looks and moves like Indy! I always liked the yellow-on-red object icons inside the strip, too; very intriguing-looking, especially if you didn't know what they were or what they did (which I admittedly did not until years later). I also didn't notice until later that the icons are represented on the box art as carvings in stone, which was a nice touch.

• Like 5

I just thought I'd give this thread a bump to salute "Raiders of the Lost Ark" on its 38th birthday! The movie premiered in the US on June 12, 1981.

My father dragged me to the first screening on opening day. He had read something about it in the newspaper, but I took one look at the poster and thought it was a boring cowboy film. Boy, was I wrong.

As for the game, I had it for years before finally figuring out how to beat it one day with a friend.

• Like 1

Awesome movie, dodgy game. The movie had non-stop action, the game had that snake flute on repeat.

NAH NAH NAAAAAH NAH NAH....

That crap drove me nuts as a kid lol

I like the game, but being fair, it's more of a curiosity than a fun game. Once I figured the 'puzzle box' out, I haven't cared much to play it

I have tried that numerous times with the 2nd grenade. It has never worked; not once.

It does. If you use the escape hatch (whether or not you set off a grenade to make a hole), bit0 of address $B5 is set and slowly begins the count upward to $0F (the extent of the collapsed wall). When $B5 holds a value, the junction back to the cave entrance from shining light is also closed (this is the purpose of the spider room, to provide an alternate route back).

Place the second grenade the same way you do with the first one. When a grenade goes off, it resets the collapse to the beginning (address $B5 stripped of the low nybble to begin counting upward again).

As mentioned, you get docked points off your final score for using a grenade...so just ignore them.

Ram addresses and values given:

Finishing/losing game = $9E ;start value 88
number of lives left  = $9F ;+0 to +3
grenade used          = $A5 ;-2
escape hatch used     = $A6 ;-13
shovel used           = $A7 ;+10
parachute used        = $A8 ;+3
ankh used             = $A9 ;+9
yar found             = $AA ;+5
ark found             = $AB ;+14
thief shot            = $AC ;-4
mesa entered          = $AD ;+3
unknown action        = $AE ;+0

Positive actions are subtracted from $9E (increasing the pedestal height), negative actions are added (lowering the pedestal height). No evidence exists as to what the unknown action might have been intended to be, or what it's value would have been - possibly related to Jerome's signature which ultimately was never programmed into the game.

Edited by Nukey Shay
  • Like 1