IGNORED

Is the Donkey Kong PK 7800 cart still being sold?

thetallguy24

Wasn't aware it was ever being sold to the "public". This and several other games and Pokey carts it seems, only fall into the hands of the enlightened every great once in a while. A combination of who you know and, well... who you suck up to I guess. :lol:

And to make matters worse, you'll now need to source your own Pokey chips and send them in if you want something like that. Or wait for the Hokey Pokey chip. A lot of waiting for things going on these days, err... I mean, years. :P

• Like 3

Wasn't aware it was ever being sold to the "public". This and several other Pokey carts it seems, only fall into the hands of the enlightened every great once in a while. A combination of who you know and, well... who you suck up to I guess. :lol:

True Story -

Wasn't aware it was ever being sold to the "public". This and several other games and Pokey carts it seems, only fall into the hands of the enlightened every great once in a while. A combination of who you know and, well... who you suck up to I guess. :lol:

And to make matters worse, you'll now need to source your own Pokey chips and send them in if you want something like that. Or wait for the Hokey Pokey chip. A lot of waiting for things going on these days, err... I mean, years. :P

I can't speak for any other Pokey chip games, but I was able to get a copy of Donkey Kong PK by politely requesting to be added to the waiting list for a copy, waiting a few months until the next production run came around, then sending the funds for it via PayPal when I received a PM saying that they were ready to be built. No special connections or supplying my own Pokey chip required. :)

• Like 4

^... oh, make no mistake. I've seen your name among the list of enlightened ones. You've been anointed. :rolling:

To the OP: in all seriousness, probably more of a case of being at the right place at the right time. The window of opportunity for some of these things are ever so slight. Really gotta forage hourly or daily if you want in.

• Like 3

Is the Donkey Kong PK 7800 cart still being sold? Would love to get my hands on one.

Answered here, pasted below for convenience:

CPUWIZ winked because he just sold me 15 boards and other key parts. ;) I didn't announce it publicly because I already have a list of buyers that exceeds 15 so I contacted them directly. If anybody want's to get in on the next batch of Donkey Kong PK's, just let me know and I'll add you to the list.

• Like 3

Trebor to the rescue! See now, they're speaking in "code" and burying pertinent ordering info in the middle of random threads, whose "orders" have all been mysteriously pre-filled for the ordained. :lol:

Have to seek out secret acronyms and words of nouveau in order to find what you're looking for sometimes.

XM and Versaboard

Maybe there should be a sticky thread with pm/ordering info for these pokey-enabled 7800 homebrew games that are not sold regularly in the site store, and are made in smaller batches as time and materials permit?

It is kind of difficult for someone not well acquainted with the ins and outs of how these games are delivered, who makes them, and how often they become available, if people need to dig around through multiple threads to find the info.

Maybe there should be a sticky thread with pm/ordering info for these pokey-enabled 7800 homebrew games that are not sold regularly in the site store, and are made in smaller batches as time and materials permit?

It is kind of difficult for someone not well acquainted with the ins and outs of how these games are delivered, who makes them, and how often they become available, if people need to dig around through multiple threads to find the info.

The fact is, these sorts of special runs happen rarely (every couple of years, it seems). They're subject to many factors - willingness of the game authors to release them, access to circuit boards and cartridge shells, access to POKEY chips, access to a label design and label stock ... I think I put my name into the hat about two years ago for this possible run.

In short, you gotta be active in the places (i.e., here!) where interest is gauged by the folks who might eventually do them, and visit every few days or at least once a week or so. Participate in the discussion. Be part of the community. Etc.

• Like 3

I don't see that happening. These are limited pop-up types of runs for a reason. Supply and Demand. Demand is high and the supply of parts that it takes to put even a small run of these together is very low. Especially if it is a POKEY enhanced cart.

------

And what DrVenkman stated...

Well, I just thought having an organized means of announcing another batch might be to pin a thread exactly for that purpose, and let the homebrew author/assembler announce when they are ready to take orders. That way everyone gets an equal shot at getting on the list, rather than having to dig through a handful of potential necrobumped 4 year old threads to find valid info.

Oh well.

Edited by DrSidneyZweibel

Well, I just thought having an organized means of announcing another batch might be to pin a thread exactly for that purpose, and let the homebrew author/assembler announce when they are ready to take orders. That way everyone gets an equal shot at getting on the list, rather than having to dig through a handful of potential necrobumped 4 year old threads to find valid info.

Oh well.

When I build a batch on speculation, I'll post a thread annoucing availability in the Marketplace forum. If someone doesn't know they can PM an author, they might post the question as the OP here did, which will usually result in a polite response to contact the author via pm. I've been building up a wait list for some time and built this last batch to cover most of them. It takes a lot of time to put these carts together and I didn't want to spend too much time on this. It took me about 45 minutes of labor per cart for this last batch which includes printing labels/manuals, burning chips, desoldering POKEY's, soldering boards, recylcing cartridge shells, assembling, shipping. I've also learned a percentage of people who ask for the game will change their minds or login so infrequently that they will never see my PM letting them know the games available. One person on the current wait list hasn't logged in for a year. My suggestion for those people who don't log in often, but still want to be on the wait list, is to give me an e-mail to contact you in the future that you are likely to see.

• 3 weeks later...