IGNORED

Fast Food 2600/VCS Remake

WAVE 1 GAMES

You slapped together a game, didn't test it for shit, and rushed it into production. That level of behavior really queers everyone here off buying your game. This is why you have people negatively reacting to your work. Because you are as sloppy as you are epically arrogant. You don't produce the quality of work to be as arrogant and passive aggressive to your customers, as you seem to be.

At this point, your reactions point to my initial assessment of being highly narcissistic and foolish. As I said before, I hate being right, sometimes..

(And before you say anything REALLY EPICALLY STUPID LIKE, "I TESTED IT!" ... Do you realize that most games have incredibly long testing periods, measured in months? With lots of tweaking and fixing, before _ANY_ production media is pressed?)

-Thom

(And yeah, since the coward narcissist edited his post, let's put it here, where he can't delete it:)

But why stop now Thom? You only just started! You forgot to share your past experiences and accomplishments with me! You didn't even mention the Atari Age war stories or compare me to the likes of folks like Mike Kennedy and the Coleco Chameleon exposing me for the true person that I am! WOW you must be off your game tonight! Ever wonder why so many people walk away from the Jaguar scene Thom? Well let me explain that one for you.... IT'S YOU!!!!!!!!!! MADMAN and every other Negative Nancy dropping insults every chance they get just because I don't know are you that bored? I'll make sure to take a selfie and send it to you in a PM when life actually does "bitch slap" me Thom. It will say something like "Golly gosh you were right Thom, I should have apologized to all those people in the Atari Age forum for making a new game and selling it, what was I thinking? silly me"

no way

I made a game. a game for a 25 year old console. I like my game. I am proud of it. You don't have to like it. You don't have to buy it. You don't have to play it. And I assure you you don't HAVE to click on this thread.

But I actually have made a BIG mistake tonight. I wasted my time responding to you, I could have been. Take a word of advice from me Thom, get out more.

• Like 3

I haven't been arrogant and passive aggressive towards my customers Thom. Another FALSE accusation. You are confusing yourself with my customers. You are not one of my customers. I am very nice with them, and ALL of them seem to be nice people who are supportive and dont act like total pricks for no reason. I don't care about your original assessment of me, or your opinion or anything else you have said because its all been 100% hostile nonsense. I didn't edit my post because I'm a coward, I edited because i don't want to entertain your BS any further, but since you just had to post it anyway it seems you want a flame war. Are you sure thats what you want with me? You must be bored because right now you are provoking me. You better be careful man, you are slapping a grizzly bear in the nose with your bare hand right now. I think you need to stop assuming crap and go pester somebody elses thread to get your jollies.

Do you get off on this? Like is this your thing? Trolling? How old are you dude? I mean since we are making assumptions here I figure hell I might as well start assuming crap too.

Like who are you? Did I ask you and what exactly is it that you THINK I owe you? Calm down about MY game and get over yourself Thom. Go out, step away from the computer.

One more thing... I assure you in all of your years, you have NEVER seen one like me. ;)

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones

And if I recall correctly Thom you were one of the FIRST people to say that I wouldn't even make a game and that I was just coming in here spitting dreams and it would never happen. You compared me to some other guy (who knows who who cares) and you knew nothing of my game to begin with. This is WHY i originally told you that you were a troll. Because thats what you are.

I challenge you to quote one USEFUL thing you have said since you arrived in my thread day one. IT HAS ALL BEEN NEGATIVE ASSUMPTIONS AND TRASH TALKING. Trolls are good at that. You have made an art out of it. You have contributed nothing to my project and only promoted hate and assumptions.

The only person who owes anyone an apology is YOU.

Also you need to know there is a difference between a person who is narcissistic and someone who is defending their work that they care about and actually take pride in.

Someone who thinks they are always right and makes assumptions at the drop of a hat could also be considered a person with an ego problem.

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones
  • Like 1

I haven't been arrogant

Fact is Fast Food 64 is better and more fun than probably 12 OFFICIAL COMMERCIAL releases I can think of right now.

I mean, sure we're talking about the Jaguar game library, but come on...

someone who is defending their work that they care about and actually take pride in.

People who care and take pride in their work spend a long time polishing it before releasing, which includes fixing known bugs and listening to feedback from testers.

• Like 6

People who care and take pride in their work spend a long time polishing it before releasing, which includes fixing known bugs and listening to feedback from testers.

This is what puzzles me JB - why did you rush it to release without giving the game enough time to incubate it properly? It's such a shame that something with a promising premise has devolved into the nasty stuff in this thread. People are grumpy and annoyed (for better or worse, some of the personal stuff is unwarranted imho, some of the people getting nasty need to pull their head in) because the game had potential, yet you rushed it out with a seeming lack of consideration for the feedback you received. Why? Why rush it out?

Just because something compiles and works doesn't mean it's ready for public consumption. I really can't understand why there was a need to push it out when even a few weeks more tweaking *plus* building on level structure could've turned it from functional to loads of fun.

I'd love to buy the CD version but it still seems like a beta from what I've seen. I'm sure with a bit more polish this could've been a simple yet addictive game like Downfall (as you mentioned) with the additional bonus of multiple modes.

Most feedback (some of which has turned nasty :-/ ) pretty much comes from a position of wanting you to be your best rather than just having things 'work'. Seeing how this has gone guarantees I'll not post anything Jag dev related until I know it works even though I have numerous things working on Mac / PC that I'm pretty sure I could have running on the Jag in short order (I could throw up some mock ups right now but nope ;) ).

Edited by skip
  • Like 3

As someone who owns the game, I feel it's fair to say that £15 is a decent enough price point for what it is on CD. I didn't notice these problems whilst playing, the only thing I did notice is that the game seems to still run in the background if you press option, but that is about it. I think the music is great, and a decent enough package for what it is. If you don't want it, don't buy it until there is a revised version available. I never noticed anything that ruined the game by any stretch of the imagination, and, although I won't be piling hours into VR Mode, I nonetheless think it's a respectable enough concept that something could be done with it in the future, a la Starwing or, even better, a sweet 'Wipeout' style game (I think that would be AWESOMEEEE! XD)

I don't want to split hairs or anything, and I don't know of any previous dealings between you guys and Wave 1 games is, but everyone please just get along, let's not get this thread locked because some 30/40 year olds can't be the civil people they are :P <3 at the end of the day, it's Jeffrey's game, he can make it how he likes... Perhaps I'm getting the wrong end of the stick here?

P.S I like the 2600 mode a lot :P

Edited by LianneJaguar64
  • Like 1

It's such a shame that something with a promising premise has devolved into the nasty stuff in this thread. People are grumpy and annoyed (for better or worse, some of the personal stuff is unwarranted imho, some of the people getting nasty need to pull their head in) because the game had potential, yet you rushed it out with a seeming lack of consideration for the feedback you received. Why? Why rush it out?

Exactly.

Seeing how this has gone guarantees I'll not post anything Jag dev related until I know it works

You shouldn't be afraid of posting "work-in-progress" stuff, even early versions. It's an useful way to get feedback and suggestions. Heck, by posting something that actually runs, you're already way beyond all of those who make grandiose claims before they even start writing the first line of code.

People didn't get angry with Jeffrey because his work-in-progress game wasn't perfect ; this is pretty normal.

They got angry with him when he denied obvious problems existed, didn't listen to the advice on how to fix them, and hid behind the "this is on purpose" nonsense (getting sound effect signedness wrong is a simple mistake ; claiming it is deliberate is like toasting a slice of bread for 20 minutes instead of 20 seconds, and telling people "I intended to make it look like charcoal and taste awful").

But the worst of all, and the main reason why Jeffrey is getting so much negative attention, is selling a game in that state and falsely claiming the problems have been fixed.

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 7

I do admit I came on extremely strong, it literally was because I've seen this pattern so many times before, and I have serious problems with people who execute things in the way that Jeffrey has done. It ruins things for everyone. I guess I just need to stop replying to these threads that smell funny, because ultimately, you do expose the fish under the rug, and nothing gets done about it.

-Thom

• Like 4

I bet if I had used the Zeroplayer for sounds it would sound perfect wouldn't it? Thing is I didn't want to use the Zeroplayer. I DONT LIKE IT. Just like Zerosquare does not like my game, he doesn't have to use it.

My collisions DO work as I intended and I DID fix the bugs that were game breaking. I just didn't change everything that was suggested to me. I have my reasons and there were more efforts put into this then some of you know. As far as the sound goes, I dont see what the problem is. This is another aspect of the game that has been complimented on by the folks who have purchased it from me. I have a soundtrack of 3 great songs and fitting sound effects for every aspect of the game.

Its ok though. I will continue to make my games.

I bet if I had used the Zeroplayer for sounds it would sound perfect wouldn't it?

Nope, it would not make any significant difference. Because the problem is not the sound system, it's that you're not using it properly.

Just like Zerosquare does not like my game, he doesn't have to use it.

I don't have any issue with your game in itself. I (and several other persons) have an issue with your attitude.
  • Like 2

But the worst of all, and the main reason why Jeffrey is getting so much negative attention, is selling a game in that state and falsely claiming the problems have been fixed.

That's the key issue right there. Keep on making games, Jeffrey, please! But if you're going to sell them, put them through some decent QA first, which you obviously didn't do with FF64. You have a large group of people here willing to test your games, make use of them. If bugs are encountered, fix the ones that you can and ask for help for the ones that baffle you. Granted, some of the other devs could be a little more helpful in that regard, but still...

And with that, let's keep discussion of the game to the game itself instead of constantly piliing on Jeffrey.

• Like 5

For the collisions... I take it you bothered checking for more than one collision at a time e.g. if you have two items that have overlapping hit boxes. If not it would explain some of the oddities seen in the last vid (when you move diagonally into two close items and only the one goes).

People who have experience of these things are telling you what is wrong with the sound, and even how to fix it... The use of a different player would have made no difference. If you look at the bit patterns for 0..255 and compare with -128 to 127 you will see the issue.

No more comments from me anyways, carry on with the "and?" defence.

• Like 3

The support for this project has been overwhelmingly positive and I want to thank everyone who has looked over the small group of people bullying me in my own thread and supported me in making my first game for the Atari Jaguar. There have been others who have made their first game and caught heat from the groups and crowds and those developers disappeared never to return to making games again for the console. (BlackOut) I like making games and despite all the negatives and people trying to make a super villain out of me I am going to continue to make games for the Jaguar. I have a lot of projects on the horizon and I intend to keep bringing new games to the system as long as I can.

I will however be more hands on in playtesting my future games as well as providing work in progress demos for folks to try out and provide feedback on bugs and elements of gameplay. If I get stumped I will continue to ask veteran developers for tips as I always have. Hopefully I won't get brushed off with comments like "go read the manual" or "just try stuff". If I ask for help please know it's because I need help. I don't like to ask for help and it is very discouraging when someone actually needs help and gets blown off so quickly. It is also important to note one thing. When I posted the original topic before it got bombed with all the hate I said that Fast Food 64 would be a simple game that I would do in 2 weeks. I was told that this was a fairytale and I would not be making any game. I spent 4 weeks on it. I added features and modes to the game that were never part of the original idea. I did everything with this game I wanted to do and more, this is why I stand by what I said about being proud of my work. I accomplished my goals and I brought a new game to the system. All of the other extra stuff seen in this thread is irrelevant and pretty sad.

I could repeat some of the behaviors seen in my thread with certain members but I am not a troll and I realize that these individuals live for this kind of stuff and I forgive them. No hard feelings guys. And really guys I just want to make games for the Jaguar. I pledge to be nice from this day going forward and I challenge everyone else to do the same! :)

post-45896-0-32306600-1499190809_thumb.jpg

post-45896-0-20697500-1499190864_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The support for this project has been overwhelmingly positive and I want to thank everyone who has looked over the small group of people bullying me in my own thread and supported me in making my first game for the Atari Jaguar. There have been others who have made their first game and caught heat from the groups and crowds and those developers disappeared never to return to making games again for the console. (BlackOut) I like making games and despite all the negatives and people trying to make a super villain out of me I am going to continue to make games for the Jaguar. I have a lot of projects on the horizon and I intend to keep bringing new games to the system as long as I can.

I will however be more hands on in playtesting my future games as well as providing work in progress demos for folks to try out and provide feedback on bugs and elements of gameplay. If I get stumped I will continue to ask veteran developers for tips as I always have. Hopefully I won't get brushed off with comments like "go read the manual" or "just try stuff". If I ask for help please know it's because I need help. I don't like to ask for help and it is very discouraging when someone actually needs help and gets blown off so quickly. It is also important to note one thing. When I posted the original topic before it got bombed with all the hate I said that Fast Food 64 would be a simple game that I would do in 2 weeks. I was told that this was a fairytale and I would not be making any game. I spent 4 weeks on it. I added features and modes to the game that were never part of the original idea. I did everything with this game I wanted to do and more, this is why I stand by what I said about being proud of my work. I accomplished my goals and I brought a new game to the system. All of the other extra stuff seen in this thread is irrelevant and pretty sad.

I could repeat some of the behaviors seen in my thread with certain members but I am not a troll and I realize that these individuals live for this kind of stuff and I forgive them. No hard feelings guys. And really guys I just want to make games for the Jaguar. I pledge to be nice from this day going forward and I challenge everyone else to do the same! :)

20170704_131558.jpg

20170704_104034.jpg

Yayyyy xD enjoying myself with this game, we may have to have a high score competition soon for owners <3

• Like 1

Hopefully I won't get brushed off with comments like "go read the manual" or "just try stuff". If I ask for help please know it's because I need help. I don't like to ask for help and it is very discouraging when someone actually needs help and gets blown off so quickly.

You didn't get brushed off because you asked for help.

You got brushed off because you didn't want to read manuals and experiment, and were unwilling to admit and fix your mistakes.

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 4

You didn't get brushed off because you asked for help.

You got brushed off because you didn't want to read manuals and experiment, and were unwilling to admit and fix your mistakes.

Yes I was. I got brushed off every single time I asked a question when working on both games. But thats allright. Its okay. Its all in the past. And I know exactly what I have to do now and what is expected of me. Edited by Jeffrey_Bones

I think that when it comes to Demon Attack, Imagic dropped the ball for the next gen Atari's they didn't update the graphics for the 400/800/XL/XE (it looks your playing a 2600 game on the 400/800/XL/XE) and Demon Attack didn't make to the 5200, :? come think of there are no Imagic games for the 5200. :? The Intellivision's Demon Attack that rocks when it come to the having updated graphics! :-o Now the Jag should have the Intellivision's Demon Attack version with updated graphics that would rock!

Atari tried to sue Imagic over Demon Attack for it being so much like Phoenix. Imagic then ported their games to the Intellivision with updated graphics. What better way at getting back at Atari than making games for their competion!

• Like 1

Oh boy, here we go again. I'm sure you're bright enough to figure out that such a message would not go without a response, so let me do the honors before a tidal wave of flames rolls in.

First, don't try to bring up the example of Stormworks, as you don't know the whole story. They did their emoragequit by coming up with a ludicrous story about a rootkit being sent to their development system. It's got to be the most preposterous story I've heard in this community, which is saying a lot as I've heard some real whoppers. Nobody ran them off, despite whatever bullshit they or others might be feeding you about it.

Second, although the criticism directed at you has at times been overly harsh in both content and delivery, the points that they have contained have been valid. All of this should have been settled a while ago. Rushing out a game that is filled with numerous bugs and faulty gameplay mechanics is going to bring criticism. This fact should not surprise you at all.

Lastly, you didn't get brushed off every single time you asked a question. Although the other devs could have been more helpful, they did at time try providing assistance in the way of pointing to you where you needed to check in the documentation or another way to find the answer yourself. No one here is going to write your games for you. Especially when you're trying to package and sell them off as quickly as possible.

You know, there's been multiple times throughout this whole ordeal where I've been defending you and trying to get others to let up in their criticisms, both in public and in private. However, every time it has appeared that I've made some progress in that area, you come up with yet another passive-aggressive "woe is me" remark that I'm sure you know will do nothing but fan the flames again. It seems to me like you revel in attention, whether it be positive or negative. So, I can't say anything else at this point other than that you've brought all of the criticism on yourself.

And with that, I'm locking this thread. Any further threads about this will be locked as well.

• Like 9