IGNORED

Just bought an huge lot of old II stuff

dj_sudo

I am now the proud (semi-proud? scared?) owner of a huge storage closet filled with Apple II stuff. What I've found so far:

Two Apple II+s

One Apple IIc+ WITH the Apple LCD display and original carry bag. The LCD is dim but shockingly still works fine.

Six Apple IIgses

Two Imagewriters and one Olympus dot-matrix printer with an Apple serial port (anyone have some continuous feed paper and a ribbon refurbishing kit?).

A disassembled Mac Plus with two analog boards marked "bad" (guess the previous owner didn't dare replace board components?)

Loads of RGB and tiny adorable monochrome Apple monitors

Mice, keyboards, cables, expansion cards, and lots more I haven't yet been able to sort out.

I imagine there are lots of rotten caps and otherwise inoperable machines in there, but my plan is to fix them all, or as many as possible, and return full systems to operation. I'll be popping in here a lot to chart my progress and ask questions, there's lots of stuff in there I can't identify and it'll take months to sort it all out. Just wanted to introduce myself!

• Like 6

IIgs units are gaining popularity, and the //c+ with LCD is a rare find.

Printers may someday become popular. But not today. When selling printers, it's good to make it as turnkey a subsystem as possible. This means include the printer, interface card, spare ribbon, spare head(if possible), paper, parallel cable, power cord. Don't forget the manuals for printer and interface card.

Individual parts are becoming more popular as people want to fix their childhood system rather than replace it. Or they acquire one that is perfect in every way except for that one part. So don't be hesitant to break down a couple systems. Power supplies and keyboards are in demand.

And lastly, Apple prices are at a premium, don't give away the store. Protect our investments!

I may be interested in some of your cards and maybe even a printer. :)

I have to see what's there. I know there is at least one SCSI card, a terminal card, a modem, serial cards, disk controller cards, but there are also a lot of boxes and at least some of them are empty. There is, however, an Apple IIe card for the LC PDS slot. Which I would've given my eye teeth for back in the day!

Edited by dj_sudo
  • Like 1

I am in need of a IIGS, or at least a IIGS motherboard and probably power supply. Let me know if you are selling any of the six of those. I don't care about cosmetics, I have my own case that I can use. Sell me your worst one as long as it all works.

I will go through everything, verify its working status, and then let people know what I've got. I'll be repairing / recapping at least some of this stuff, assuming it's non functional. So far I've only had time to test the IIc+ which works great but I'm willing to bet that at least some of the IIgses are ready to go.

I got 2 of those //e cards and no (working) system to use them in...lol

Yeah, working systems with LC PDS slots aren't exactly thick on the ground these days!

I am now the proud (semi-proud? scared?) owner of a huge storage closet filled with Apple II stuff. What I've found so far:

Two Apple II+s

One Apple IIc+ WITH the Apple LCD display and original carry bag. The LCD is dim but shockingly still works fine.

Six Apple IIgses

Two Imagewriters and one Olympus dot-matrix printer with an Apple serial port (anyone have some continuous feed paper and a ribbon refurbishing kit?).

A disassembled Mac Plus with two analog boards marked "bad" (guess the previous owner didn't dare replace board components?)

Loads of RGB and tiny adorable monochrome Apple monitors

Mice, keyboards, cables, expansion cards, and lots more I haven't yet been able to sort out.

I imagine there are lots of rotten caps and otherwise inoperable machines in there, but my plan is to fix them all, or as many as possible, and return full systems to operation. I'll be popping in here a lot to chart my progress and ask questions, there's lots of stuff in there I can't identify and it'll take months to sort it all out. Just wanted to introduce myself!

You might be surprised at just how much of it still works fine. Those machines are actually really rugged.

• Like 2

You might be surprised at just how much of it still works fine. Those machines are actually really rugged.

Oh I know. Some of them are pre-marked with labels saying that boards or keys are "bad." I'll be able to hunt down the problems with a multimeter and a microscope I suspect.

I found an entire box of cards, I should be able to post a partial inventory tomorrow.

Also found an SE PDS PC Drive card with, unusually, the matching 5.25" PC Drive! I suspect this is one of those super-rare but completely worthless items.

• Like 1

It was pretty typical back in the day.. When these are upgraded like so, they're like the early macs. And if you had money for a IIgs, you had money to get the upgrades. When I got my IIgs it was also jam packed.

People who couldn't afford genuine Apple hardware typically stepped down to Commodore and the Amiga lineup.

---

That old hard disk in there had gotta generate some heat, along with the ZipGSX board. Either way, the ZipGSX board trades hands on ebay for about $600. And the Transwarp GS for something like $900. So those cards are golden.

The modem and fingerprint card aren't worth much and they'd typically sell for $100 or less.

Edited by Keatah

For real.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Applied-Engineering-TransWarp-GS-Accelerator-GS-RAM-Plus-Cards-for-Apple-IIGS-/252812935507

The ram card maybe adds $100. So this transwarp sold for 800. Almost a bargain considering the rarity. So if you're looking to flip, then always check ebay for max pricing.

Let us all enjoy watching this one. It's currently only at $240 right now, but let's see how high it can go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-IIGS-TransWarp-GS-Accelerator-Card-/232325489037?hash=item3617ada18d:g:9EYAAOSwuMZZDegL

Ebay's kinda funny in a way, once a couple of disproportionately high-priced items cycle through, more people want to cash in. And the price drops. Been watching that with Air Raiders over the years. Maybe the same thing will happen here?

Edited by Keatah

I'm an old Mac guy, my knowledge of II systems is very very limited. If the Mac Plus hadn't been in the lot I might not have even bought it!

This IIgs boots up to the SCSI screen but complains of "Incorrect Configuration Data." I'll post some screen shots later tonight if anyone is brave enough to help me get to a booted system. It looks like partitions and a RAM disk are identified in addition to the ROM itself, but as far as I can tell none of them are bootable. The ProDOS partition looks like it's booting (loading symbol scrolling in and out) but I never get to a desktop or command line. I am reluctant to any more digging, compared to what I'm used to this setup makes it look like I could easily wipe a partition out of dumb-dumb ignorance.

I found a CP/M card with a Z80 on it in a box as well, a couple of sound cards, and more things I can't identify. More pics to come.

Edited by dj_sudo

Z-80 cards aren't worth a lot. The ebayers think they are, but billions of them have been made. So those go around $50. There's some special models like the appli-card or the softcard //e that could get $300, but that's those. The added functionality and speed they provide isn't much more than the standard z-80 no-name board. At least it isn't worth the price increase.

Now soundcards, they're cheap except for Mockingboard w/speech chips or the AE Phasor. The Phasor can get you $600.

Of course all my little price suggestions can change if something were to be dumped on the market..

---

If you're a mac guy, then getting into a IIgs is like a downgrade. You'll discover a lot of things you want to do, but can't. Or you'll come close to it. But not quite.

I've seen them go for around $50, maybe $75 if the planets are aligned. 100 with the speaker, box, dox, and disks, in good shape.

---

I just checked eBay, like any prospective sellers should, and I was spot on. Woot! Keep it high, keep it classy!

Edited by Keatah