IGNORED

Makeboot - Monarch Data Systems

MrFish

Is there a copy of this available anywhere? I haven't been able to find one yet -- although I have found other similar utilities (even one with the same name, designed for use with OS/A+). But I'm interested in this utility by Monarch in particular.

Thanks,

MF

post-6369-0-47177200-1493924123_thumb.png

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

Yeah, one of the interesting parts is that it comes with additional interpreters/runtimes to take advantage of DOS' absence.

This most likely relates to the interpreter package. The original ABC compiler comes with two interpreter files, INTERP.X1F which starts at 0x1F00, and INTERP.X26 which starts at $2600. Anything below 0x1f00 is typically taken by Dos. (Dos 2.0S usually goes to 0x1C7C with a standard configuration for two drives and three file buffers).

If *that* is the only problem then I could offer a relocatable version of the interpreter file and the ABC compiler which can go anywhere you want it to go. It's not really rocket science. This compiler version I have allows to you to specifly the start address of the compiler at page granularity, i.e. you can select it to start at 0x700 - which is available without DOS (or 0xc00 which would be available with Os++ and Fms++).

• Like 3

This most likely relates to the interpreter package. The original ABC compiler comes with two interpreter files, INTERP.X1F which starts at 0x1F00, and INTERP.X26 which starts at $2600. Anything below 0x1f00 is typically taken by Dos. (Dos 2.0S usually goes to 0x1C7C with a standard configuration for two drives and three file buffers).

I'm not completely familiar with ABC myself, but I did see the different versions of the interpreter for loading at different addresses.

If *that* is the only problem then I could offer a relocatable version of the interpreter file and the ABC compiler which can go anywhere you want it to go. It's not really rocket science. This compiler version I have allows to you to specifly the start address of the compiler at page granularity, i.e. you can select it to start at 0x700 - which is available without DOS (or 0xc00 which would be available with Os++ and Fms++).

I wasn't 100% sure that was the only change necessary for the new versions of the interpreters, but it's certainly possible. As you say, not rocket science, but part of the interest here also is seeing the original disk/software preserved. Honestly, I probably wouldn't do much -- if anything -- myself with it. But I'd surely like to see it archived, and it would be on my site next to ABC itself.

I'd still be interested in the version you speak of though.

Edited by MrFish