IGNORED

TI Basic game nearly finished: Viper squadron

tibasic

*** Decided to develop the game a bit more ... the following features have been added.

1. Original music at the beginning that is a little inspired by music found in C64 games

2. A fancy instructions screen

3. Increasing difficulty with level (The Cylon firing becomes more rapid)

4. The positioning of the sectors on the map is now random.

The newest file is VS2211.zip. Hope all the files don't confuse anyone too much. tibasic 27.11.2017 ***

*** Finished game is attached as VIPER.zip to this post and further down as well *** tibasic 24.8.2017

I have started another basic game. It is based loosely on Defender but here you pilot a Colonial Viper trying to save humans from the Cylons.

The humans are trying to escape using underground turbo trains. There is a map at the top of the screen consisting of a number of boxes that indicates the different sectors of interest along the track. The sectors with trains are represented by a filled in box while an empty box indicates a sector with no train. A Cylon head on the map indicates a group of Cylons are chasing and monitoring the train. Your location is represented on the map by a flashing cursor. The map and ship controls (ESDX) are working but not much else at the moment.

Eventually the game will allow you to shoot the Cylons and collect the people in the train. After you have collected the people they will need to be delivered to safety to score points. If you encounter any Cylons and they shoot you down then the people and any potential points would be lost. If you do not save the people on the trains then the Cylons will eventually get them and then move onto another sector with a train.

post-34194-0-15466600-1493927391.png

VS0405.zip

VIPER.zip

VS2211.zip

Edited by tibasic
  • Like 11

This is great! :thumbsup:

Thanks Retrospect.

He he, that's almost crazy. :thumbsup:

Great! :)

Wow. That was a lot of work. Great job.

Thanks. I'm actually using a lot of ideas from my previous games and even copy pasting routines from them so it may not be as much work as it seems.

Some progress. The Cylons are all shooting now. They change colour before they shoot so you have time to escape (although they can't destroy the Viper yet). You can't see the missile fired by the Cylon because it is going so fast ... you can just see it when it explodes nearby.

Also when you get to the end of the map which is at the top of the screen the Viper automatically turns around. That is to avoid the program crashing when the Viper goes off the map.

VS0605.zip

Add the lines below to version 0605 of Viper Squadron (two posts up) to enable the Viper to fire super fast laser bolts! :)

1475 IF K=32 THEN 1476 ELSE 1480
1476 CALL HCHAR(Y*2+5,10+X*9,74,3)
1477 CALL HCHAR(Y*2+5,10+X*9,32,3)
1478 CALL HCHAR(Y*2+5,1+X*28,74,3)
1479 CALL HCHAR(Y*2+5,1+X*28,32,3)

• Like 1

Here is the latest version. The Viper can destroy a Cylon now. It has to destroy about 4 or 5 of them before it can rescue people from the train. The people rescued are represented by a score at the top of the screen. The Cylons can also shoot back. There are five Vipers to play with.

There are a few more pieces of the game to add but it should be quite straight forward to do. It runs a little slower than I would like now but runs quite nicely in RXB.

VS1705.zip

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the latest version. I think the next version will be the finished version.

There is now a time limit to engage and destroy the Cylons before they destroy the human's underground turbo train. You can also collect people from the trains that are not being chased by the Cylons. To do this press fire when in a sector with a train. In the next version I will add a small time penalty for collecting the passengers. At the moment there is a time limit of 50 game loops (frames?) to save the passengers being chased by the Cylons.

Once the underground track is empty of trains then the Viper progresses onto another level. The difficulty remains the same as in the first level at the moment but I will increase the difficulty in the next version of the game. The difficulty will be increased by decreasing the time it takes for a Cylon to shoot a missile at your Viper and increasing the time penalty for collecting passengers in sectors not occupied by Cylons.

VS2905.zip

• 1 month later...

Pretty much finished now although I will probably revisit it later to see how it plays and make any necessary improvements then.

Main updates from previous version are:

1. Revised title music and screen.

2. Points can be scored by shooting the Cylons as well as saving passengers.

I decided not to increase the difficulty with each level as it seems difficult enough as it is.

VS0907.zip

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I was playing the game this afternoon and found a bug that ruined my high score attempt. :/

Here is an explanation of the bug and how to fix the problem. The viper is represented on the map at the top of the screen as a cursor. This cursor can come off the map and become stuck which then prevents the player accessing the different zones on the map. This is because the code to keep it on the map fails under a certain condition, i.e. if the key for turning the viper around is pressed just as the viper comes off the map. This can happen if you are fumbling with the keys trying to blast the Cylons. I have rewritten the code so that it fixes this problem and included the code below. You can just add the code to the 'finished' version (in the VIPER.zip file attached to the first post or post #18). Line 3270 overwrites the existing line of code which it is supposed to do.

3261 IF XP>=21 THEN 3262 ELSE 3270
3262 X=0
3263 GOTO 3280
3270 X=1

I will test the game a bit more tomorrow and replace the VIPER.zip file then.

• Like 2

Hi tibasic,

What are the formats of your files and with which programs can I open them? I ask you this question, because I am using V9T9 as TI 99 emulator.

Regards

Edited by MueThor

Hi MueThor,

The file in VIPER.zip is for the Classic99 emulator. The extracted file can be put in the DSK1 folder of Classic99 and then loaded from the emulator with OLD DSK1.VIPER.

Hope that is helpful ... I am not familiar with the actual format details. If V9T9 has a paste facility I could attach a text file of the program.

Edited by tibasic

Having an issue - I downloaded from the first post.

Using classic99

post-47352-0-01716900-1503776434.gif

EDIT:

Tried again using file from this post (last attachment comment in this topic) - http://atariage.com/forums/topic/265246-ti-basic-game-finished-viper-squadron/?do=findComment&comment=3833658

Same result.

EDIT2: Oh wait, this is a BASIC game, not XB - It works fine.

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 2