IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection problem

tillenterprises

I have a strange problem with the Pac-Man Collection cart on one of my two 7800s. It crashes and doesn't boot up past the initial Atari screen, or if it does get past that screen, it'll either freeze up, and show garbage graphics. I have an older model 7800 (one with the expansion port on the side), and it works fine on that one. I don't think this would have anything to do with it, but I should note that I recently did the RCA composite upgrade on the 7800 that it crashes on, and the other 7800 that it plays fine on still uses the RF connection. All the other games- both 7800 and 2600 work fine on both 7800s, including the games with the pokey audio. Is there anybody else who has had trouble with the Pac-man Collection game crashing, or could this just be a bad cart? If so, I don't understand why it would play fine on one 7800, but not on the other. Thanks

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in, but it isn't that uncommon for certain 7800 carts to have problems with various hardware revisions of the console, there are like 4-5 different versions of the hardware.

I have a strange problem with the Pac-Man Collection cart on one of my two 7800s. It crashes and doesn't boot up past the initial Atari screen, or if it does get past that screen, it'll either freeze up, and show garbage graphics. I have an older model 7800 (one with the expansion port on the side), and it works fine on that one. I don't think this would have anything to do with it, but I should note that I recently did the RCA composite upgrade on the 7800 that it crashes on, and the other 7800 that it plays fine on still uses the RF connection. All the other games- both 7800 and 2600 work fine on both 7800s, including the games with the pokey audio. Is there anybody else who has had trouble with the Pac-man Collection game crashing, or could this just be a bad cart? If so, I don't understand why it would play fine on one 7800, but not on the other. Thanks

See this thread.

Thanks! Wow, I wasn't aware of the compatibility issues between certain 7800 models. Too bad, I was really looking forward to playing PMC on the 7800 with the composite upgrade. I was going to leave the other 7800 with the expansion port original and keep the rf output, since I don't know if the expansion port 7800s are more valuable to collectors.

Edited by tillenterprises

I am going from my memory here and it isn't as good as it used to be but, I seem to remember noticing that the cart port on one of the older 7800 I worked on had gold plated contacts. Perhaps a dirty cart port is the issue on the newer unit?

Edited by SIO2