IGNORED

TOP 10 IndieBox Games - Unboxing Collector's Editions

Does anybody else here collect IndieBox? For those that don't know, they publish custom made boxed versions that are packed full of little goodies like color manuals, soundtracks, stickers, physical versions of the game, plushies, action figures and more. Every game is also 70% or higher on Metacritic and runs on Windows, OS X & Linux. Pretty impressive stuff! This is my list of their Top 10 releases.

* This was not a paid sponsored video and the opinions are my own, if curious.

It's too bad that you have to buy CE's these days to get goodies packed in with the games. BITD, I used to love opening up Ultima games because I knew it would be filled with interesting things, as were the Infocom games.

Great video as usual.

• Like 1

It's too bad that you have to buy CE's these days to get goodies packed in with the games. BITD, I used to love opening up Ultima games because I knew it would be filled with interesting things, as were the Infocom games.

The Ultima games were some of the best big box games made. Those cloth maps... the trinket... even the Origin Product Manuals were really fun to look through! Thanks for watching.

• 3 weeks later...

I unfortunately learned about Indiebox too late.

I believe they stopped doing the Flash Drives some time ago in favor of just the CDs now?

I'd have greatly preferred the fantastical flash drives...

That being said... I like the physical versions of digital games getting releases. Although I'd be happy with just a metal case over the generic plastic ones.

It's just a shame that we only have a few options for companies doing this, and one of those companies (Limited Run Games) just never seems to have enough copies for everybody.

• Like 1

I had the Steamworld Dig one for awhile but ended up selling it as like most things, the added fluff was just not useful, no good way to use it in any respect either. I ended up selling it fairly cheap to get rid of it and just picked up the GoG download on a 75% off sale around the same time just to keep a hold onto it. That one had a burlap box, the credicard looking usb flash drive, a metal mini sign, audio cd, some art assets, etc stuff like that.

Yeah, Hand of Fate was when they switched to CDs and they've gone downhill ever since, IMO. Conveniently, Hand of Fate is right where my subscription ran out. Every box looks like it comes down to a formula now. There's almost no surprise to it. Before, when you got stuff like magma-worm themed socks for Risk of Rain or the soundtrack for Galak-Z on cassette, it was awesome and would get me giddy to see what they come up with for the next one. Now the magic is lost but I still agree with the ethos that games should be available in a physical DRM-free form.

Now Limited Run Games is a totally different animal. On paper, what they're doing is a great service to the community but there's a point where limited availability is doing more harm than good. I was on board with LRG since release #1 and I got all of them up to like #9 or something. I stopped when I missed a release after going out of town and not having access to the website I used to keep on top of it, so I missed one and was soured from then on. 'Limited ' in almost any industry is a tongue-in-cheek term but that's intentional. It makes people feel special in a dumb way but it's just fan service. Generally you want people to be able to get their hands on it easily enough and not available to those who waited a few days/weeks. LRG on the other hand makes it unavailable to those who missed out by a few minutes!!

I'm glad I got out when I did. I don't know if they changed their practices but it just became too stressful. I remember last year during PAX South, it just happened to line up with one of their releases. I missed the morning preorder and had to wait for the afternoon. I was on my phone and expos are notorious for having bad wifi connectivity because there's just so many people in one space but there I was sweating bullets trying to get in my preorder. I was relieved when I got it in but hopefully those sealed copies I have will be worth all that stress someday.

• Like 1

Limited in gaming means -- buy early or pay triple. It's just a scam to undersell your product because you're too cowardly to put a real run out because you fear having left over inventory, so in the end no one truly suffers but the consumer who gets screwed. I never got in on the LRG stuff because of that very problem. Be hovering over the button or it's gone, much like the Nintendo CE pop ups online which got vaporized in minutes.

• Like 1