IGNORED

Which IIgs accelerator..

Keatah

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better IIgs speed-em-up card?

• A.E. Transwarp GS
    • Zip GSX

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

In purging some more of the Apple III stuff I came across 2 accelerator cards for the IIgs intermixed in the pile, Transwarp and Zip GSX.

If was going to re-setup my GS and trick it out, what would be better choice? Does one have any clear advantages over the other?

Depends on what your system currently has.

The Transwarp will reach higher speeds, have seen stable at 15 Mhz and even one claim at 17.5 Mhz.

Disadvantage is it requires a higher power PSU and gives off a lot of heat, so heat sink and fan required.

Also overall a little more expensive to upgrade due to Transwarp parts, PSU and heatsink.

Zip GSX have seen stable up to 12.5 Mhz. Only could get mine stable at 10 Mhz, but for me good enough.

Less heat, less expense and some will say at equal speeds, the Zip is a little faster.

More than likely will work with current PSU.

It also seems that the success rate for Zip is a little higher for upgrades done by amateurs. Whereas those who know what to look for have about an equal success rate.

On the Transwarp GS, there is a connector at the top of the card, looks like and IDE connector. What is it for? I don't recall seeing anything in the manual about it.

---

Overall I'm not too interested in overclocking an accelerator. Whatever stock speed it comes with out of the box is fine, unless it's an official upgrade and within spec of its parts. No overvolting. Software emulation (II+,IIe) can run at hundreds of MHz if I ever need that.

Edited by Keatah

It's a rather nice connector to be "wasted" on factory testing or anything like that. Factory testing usually has simple test points/pads and aren't populated. Even back then.

I cannot dizisagree.

This is what I had found previously,

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.apple2/M-cLVXpDL18

There is only speculation about the connector, and no known add-on that uses it.

I just noticed the Zip GSX has a socketed 65C816 which means you could chain multiple accelerators. I wonder if anybody ever tried this?

If you're referring to the right-hand 40 pin DIP socket marked as "Original" then this is just a place to "store" your original 65816 whilst the ZipGSX is installed - it is not electrically connected in anyway AFAIK. So no chaining is possible.

If you're referring to the right-hand 40 pin DIP socket marked as "Original" then this is just a place to "store" your original 65816 whilst the ZipGSX is installed - it is not electrically connected in anyway AFAIK. So no chaining is possible.

I was just being snarky on a Friday afternoon.

But now looking at the manual for the ZIP GSX, it says, "You may park your original 65C816 in storage if you have the appropriate product."

Pretty cool.

http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/files/ZipGSX/Manual/ZIPGSX_Manual.pdf