IGNORED

Summer Games

Unfortunately we do not know yet (is this actually true?) what the original scores where when the disk was sent out by the software company.

These are the original world records at the older disk version:

post-6585-0-63049400-1494378070.jpg

Don't know for sure if the newer version had the same or different world records.

• Like 5

No cracked version back in the day? muah ha ha ha.... I bet you paid for long distance calls too he he he he.... ah well.... Thanks for the chuckles.....

OMG.... No.... I was a huge phreak. That is a whole other story for another time. LMAO.... The memories.

Ok. Fixed it. Well not really.

Some games do not allow the score to be reset. Unfortunately we do not know yet (is this actually true?) what the original scores where when the disk was sent out by the software company.

(Does the cart give this insight information?)

I did reset all the scores now to an almost impossible low (points) or high (time) with a general name John Doe.

I guess it is possible and fun to get your own score now. Well it must be in reach to master all the games now and get a better result than the score in the current high score list :D

I'll write a little tool to reset any score you want (so you will not have to reset all scores at the same time), but that will take some time. It's not hard, but I lack any free time ;)

Nice work! I hadn't even tested any of it out myself. So I'd been waiting to find out if the fix I'd done was as easy as it initially seemed.

This may have been an additional part of the copy protection scheme, as being able to track your personal scores is one desirable feature of the game.

Apparently, people were happy enough back in the day just to be able to play the game.

This may have been an additional part of the copy protection scheme, as being able to track your personal scores is one desirable feature of the game.

Apparently, people were happy enough back in the day just to be able to play the game.

First I thought this myself too but I was brave enough to test this on my original 1984 epyx protected summer games disk. Setting just all the data involved at the 100M dash to hex code 00

But that gave the same trouble while just typing in a very unlikely 'high time score' made the high score routine immediately work.

I consider it as a small shortcoming in the game, since the other parts which do not have a time result, actually do accept the hex 00 solution.

Anyway I will update the Atr with the original scores and names. I think that is the coolest. Those scores are not that hard to beat either.

Unfortunately my original disk was 2nd hand and heavily used by previous owner (s) when I bought it so those high scores were not original anymore.

Edited by ProWizard
  • Like 1

When I quickly tested new ATR I had a doubt because some records were not saved but I thought that they were too low.

Video61 still sells new Summer Games disks.

Can't imagine that your scores were too low, since the scores I edited in the highscore list are impossible stupid lol. Everybody is able to master these scores hehe.

So if you run into something that does not save. Let me know. I did a quick test yesterday (I did all the games one time) and all my records were saved.

I am very interested in test results, so please confirm if there is indeed a problem. Thanks!

Marius

Can't imagine that your scores were too low, since the scores I edited in the highscore list are impossible stupid lol. Everybody is able to master these scores hehe.

So if you run into something that does not save. Let me know. I did a quick test yesterday (I did all the games one time) and all my records were saved.

I am very interested in test results, so please confirm if there is indeed a problem. Thanks!

Marius

Hi Marius.

I was referring to Paul's disks, not yours.

I quickly tested them and I noticed that some records were not saved, as you pointed out later.

Ok this time the ATX crack with the scores like they were on the (older) original disk.

I guess this is pretty cool.

I used exactly the same typographic format as the posted screenshot from ijor (thanks for that!!)

If there are other scores on the original Epyx 1984 disk, let me know.

Tested, and it seems to work. Saving, replacing new hi-scores.

Let me know if there are any issues!

Greetz

Marius

Summer Games cracked ATX-original-scores.zip

• Like 5

attachicon.gifSummerRecords.jpg

Don't know for sure if the newer version had the same or different world records.

Ok this time the ATX crack with the scores like they were on the (older) original disk.

I guess this is pretty cool.

I used exactly the same typographic format as the posted screenshot from ijor (thanks for that!!)

Of course those are the names of people who worked on the game itself... rather than just some random names.

post-6369-0-29789000-1494453183_thumb.png

• Like 4

Yeah. I found the justification of the scores rather odd. It was pretty hard for me to follow the format in the screenshot. If it was up to me I would redesign the list... but okay I wanted to stay to the original as close as possible.

Yes, the format is a bit odd. It looks the name length mostly determines how far over the beginning of each score is. Right or left tabbed justification would have looked much better. But I agree, best to stick with the original format for authenticity. I'm guessing it maintains the weird formatting as new scores are added...

Edited by MrFish

Yes, the format is a bit odd. It looks the name length mostly determines how far over the beginning of each score is. Right or left tabbed justification would have looked much better. But I agree, best to stick with the original format for authenticity. I'm guessing it maintains the weird formatting as new scores are added...

Yeah I thought that too. Tried it but not true. It's simply ugly lol.

The names are on sector 719 and the scores on sector 718 and they independently from each other on the screen. Even if you leave the name field empty.

Well, can't say how happy I am with the result. I love the save score feature and I hated the fact that I could not copy my original disk (I am always very careful with original disks).

Now I have the 1984 Epyx Summer Games without copy protection and original scores and operation hi score saver.

It's AWESOME! So thanks for everybody providing the right disks.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Finally we found a "clean", unmodified, dump of the newer version with the world records as they come from factory. They are almost the same as the ones in the older version, but not exactly.

post-6585-0-07350100-1499432487.jpg

• Like 4