IGNORED

E.R.I.C. cart (Electronic Retail Information Center)

Savetz

I got an E.R.I.C. (Electronic Retail Information Center) cart. Has this been dumped yet?

Mine just shows black screen and doesn't seem to do anything when I use it (I tried on an 800 and 800XL) — but then again, I don't know how it's supposed to behave, especially without the laserdisc hardware. I'm having trouble getting my usual cart dumper (Jindroush Cartridge Dumper) to boot with it inserted. Cart could be blank for all I know.

post-803-0-78305700-1494115524_thumb.jpg

post-803-0-38802900-1494115545_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I'm dumb and probably inserted it backwards the first time. It should be the chips facing away from me on an 800XL, right?

It boots to Self Test or Memo Pad, but the cart dump utility got data. What do you make of it?

The full dump: ERIC16.bin

I edited the above to make this version: ERIC8.bin

• Like 1

Cool, I was wondering who got that...

Just to check, You did insert with the foil side facing you on an 800 or foil side up on a 130xe, correct?

I actually didn't win the auction, but got a second chance offer from the seller. I guess the buyer backed out (or maybe seller had two, but I kinda doubt that.)

Kevin

• Like 1

Are you using SIO2SD Turbo? if so, it' might be wiping out data in $A000 to $A7FF, same as in ClassWare...

Yes! What do I go to make it work right? Just like go into the SIO2SD settings and slow it down?

Kevin

Yes! What do I go to make it work right? Just like go into the SIO2SD settings and slow it down?

Kevin

I just use the Jindroush Cartridge Dumper ATR as my save disk and nothing else...

Don't know if it matters, but I only use the 2.5 SIO2SD firmware and not any of the menu programs on my 800..

• Like 1

Hi Kevin

the cartridge is an 8K ROM, populated with two 4K EPROMS on a standard 8K Atari ROM PCB,

looking the code of the 8K Dump you made it looks like that the two 2732A eproms had been swapped.. the "ERIC LOW" chip should be on the left and the "ERIC HI" chip should be on the right..

i swapped those and correct the ROM, now the Cartridge RUN/INI address fall to the right memory location.. And the Cartridge BOOT to a strange screen..

the Cartridge RUN/INI address indicate that the Cartridge boots something of a floppy before its internal code run..

i haven't dived deep into the code yet to see what it was planned to accomplish.. here is the screen i get and the Corrected ROM

ERIC_Correct.ROM

post-1423-0-74013700-1494133441.png

• Like 1

So there is a 2k difference between your corrected rom and what I came up with, where you have FF's, mine has mostly 00's excluding the DL code.

In both cases there is missing data from $A000 to $A7FF and missing code in $B000 to $B7FF. I suspect that the 7400 has something to do with that.

Only way to tell for sure what is missing is to either read the EProms with an eprom burner or use another cart that has 2 2732''s and swap them out and re-dump...

You could take both proms out and put them in a standalone reader... and yes it looks like high and low are swapped...in the wrong sockets... hows that happen

It could be that the chips were taken from original ATARI ESD folders of the Master ROMs (Tempest had some of those folders) and put into the PCB for sale, but into the wrong sockets. Tempest, what do you think?

Also..

The person who put the EPROMs into the PCB might have thought they were placing the EPROMs into a C015755 prototyping 8K EPROM PCB.

The C015755 prototyping 8K EPROM PCB has the HI in the left socket (there is an H in the upper left corner of the C015755 PCB) and the LO in the right socket (there is an L in the upper right corner of the C015755 PCB).

You have C015783 REV1 of the 8K EPROM PCB, the HI should be in the right socket and the LO in the left socket.

Edited by Defender II
  • Like 1

I don't have an EPROM reader. Can someone explain like I'm five why an EPROM reader might be able to get the data, but my Atari cannot? It's not just because of the SIO2SD data, is it?

It appears that the 7400 IC is blocking 2k of data in both LOW and High ROMs, that is why an EProm reader would help in this case. Or find a cart that has 2 2732's and put the E.R.I.C. ROMs in that and try dumping again...

Did you Swap the LOW and HIGH ROMs yet?

Your still getting that Display List code in your 16k dumps :(

Try just using the cart dumper ATR and save the 16k directly to that and post the ATR, that way we can see what's happening...

Hi Andras,

Tried a BARCODE Scanner on the screen that the cart produce and got: 651 3312 7277 31

tried to call that number but no one answered...

LOL - I really did try my bar code reader, but it didn't give me anything.