IGNORED

New version of Microvision emulator

Raph

Hi! I've released a new version of Paul Robson's MVEM emulator that supports fullscreen, is more front-end friendly, and has overlays and snaps for all the games. You can read about it here, and there are download links there as well for both the executable package and the source.

https://www.raphkoster.com/2017/05/07/microvision-emulator-release/

Release notes:

This is an updated build of Paul Robson's Microvision emulator, which came out in 2014. All I have done is add some nicer UX and a lot of artwork sourced from the Internet. The intent was to make playing with the emulator something more appealing that could be integrated with a frontend.

To run the emulator from a frontend, this is the command line:

mvem %rom% widthxheightx1

For example

mvem "Alien Raiders.bin" 1920x1080x1

This will launch the specified game at full screen on a 1920x1080 monitor.

If the last parameter isn't included, the game will launch at 800x600 in a window.

Many thanks to Paul Robson and the others who did all the hard parts!

BUILD 15 CHANGES

May 6th 2017

• Allow passing in of screen res and full screen from the command line. Format is <width>x<height>x<fullscreen> where fullscreen = 1 for full and 0 for windowed.

• The Enter/Return key now toggles fullscreen.

• Emulator now chooses optimal size for playfield plus overlay based on the screen size.

• Default screen to 800x600 windowed.

• Add 1 pixel gap between pixels on LCD display.

• Lighten the LCD pixel color so it is a closer match to actual LCD black.

• Added overlays for all games. These are based on the American editions of the carts except for Super Blockbuster. Replaced the one by Paul Robson for Pinball.

• Load snaps of carts and display on the side at full screen height.

• Overlay key mappings on top of the snaps.

• Created new snaps for the two homebrew games by Paul Robson.

• Added linear filtering to textures for smoother images.

• Slide playfield over so that both always fit.

• There is now a knob that represents the range of motion for the paddle, rather than just the bar.

• Made the existing bar-shaped render of knob position have alpha transparency, so it would blend into the overlays.

post-57186-0-34313400-1494222440_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I changed some permissions and rebooted. Now it works. I got a Microvision for Christmas years ago with block buster ,baseball , and bowling. It failed like soo many and I have been reluctant to buy other cause they have a high failure rate. Guess MB didn't do enough beta testing.

It won't work in windows 10 Windows can't access the specified device or path You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item.

Odd -- it was built on Windows 10! And it works fine for me on a separate Win10 test machine as well. If you can pinpoint which files were the issue, I can see if I can figure out what happened. Glad you got it working though!

• 1 year later...

I can't get it to run on Win7 32-bit ...... I open it and it shuts down automatically.

For example

mvem "Alien Raiders.bin" 1920x1080x1

This will launch the specified game at full screen on a 1920x1080 monitor.

If the last parameter isn't included, the game will launch at 800x600 in a window.

;)