IGNORED

HardBack

I wonder if I could get one of the Software/Hardware Gurus here to have a look a HARDBACK on this dsk.

sssd.dsk

I always preferred using it to back up my MFM hard drives with the HFDC. When I load it and try to have it look at my SCSI drives after the initial Source Drive (1) and Copy drive (3) It sets an error of:

HARD DEVICE ERROR

Can anybody have a look and see if it will play happy with a WHT SCSI card?

Thanks

The old phart in phoenix

Actually, I'm not really optimistic that a HFDC program works with SCSI. It already starts with different device names (like SCS1 vs. WDS1), and if the authors used direct access to the controller, this quickly becomes impossible.

Unfortunately, I still don't have a SCSI emulation in MAME, so I cannot test it. (I have a real ASCSI card, but this would probably deliver the same output.)

I use Myarcs MDM5 with my SCSI and it seems to work fine when accessing the drives. It searches for wds instead of scs and it does find the drives - up to 3. About the only thing that doesn't work is the mdm5 backup, which is ok because I think it takes way too long. That's why I used hardback

The HRD16 backup program was originally set up for SCS1. The "fix" was simple. Since both SCS1 and WDS1 have the same number of characters and it isn't necessary to change the length byte for the drive designation, the answer was to use a sector editor and change SCS1 to WDS1 (or in your case the reverse). It worked successfully for me for many years until I got rid of my HFDC. It might be worth a try!

Are you using Hardback with a TI or Geneve? If using with a Geneve, you will need to enable ROMPAGE for access to the SCSI card's EPROM.

Regardless of the system, use "WDSx" not "SCSx". The former is there for backwards compatibility and usually (thought not always) works.

(The IDE and HDX cards have different low level IO subprogram numbers and require some additional changes to programs that are coded for the HFDC/SCSI DSRs).

Thanks atrax27407 - I tried both and they both gave HARD DEVICE ERROR. I found the SNUG site and downloaded the HRD16SAV file and at first whiff looks like it could work. I was able to do a directory of SCS1 and dig down as well. I need to check out the docs so I know how to use it properly.

Thanks again - This may indeed work. I still wonder why HARDBACK won't though?

Edited by sparkdrummer