IGNORED

Unusual 7800 system box

Mitch

Yes, it has a picture of a PAL console on the outside but it is actually an NTSC 7800 box. I can take a couple more pictures if anyone is interested. Maybe towmater can take a pic of his as well.

Mitch

• Like 1

Very interesting and odd; front pic console is obviously a PAL one as well, in addition to the already mentioned joypads being listed.

Almost seems like a mistake for a NTSC console to have been packaged/shipped with such a box. Curious if anyone knows the backstory on why such a box was utilized for a NTSC system; or if it's just another 'going cheap' and use whatever is available to ship systems.

...or if it's just another 'going cheap' and use whatever is available to ship systems.

Probably this.

It's also possible it just got mixed up by a previous owner or 7800 collector over the years and there's nothing more to it.

Probably this.

It's also possible it just got mixed up by a previous owner or 7800 collector over the years and there's nothing more to it.

Yeah...I was going to ask if it was received 'factory sealed' or not. Also, if any of the sides not pictured has a serial number indicator and whether it matches the console or not.

I was going to say it would make sense as the UK box, but reading the small print about the "Atari Advantage" and "great value ... great games", both slogans used in the US, that makes me think it could be a late version of the NTSC box, despite the PAL console pictured.

Your second picture tangentially shows that another side of the box has what looks like a UPC symbol, along with more fine print. There might be a copyright date in that fine print. If we had a good picture of that side, maybe that would settle it.

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

The box originally had an Atari Mexico sticker on it but the glue wasn't too great and it fell off. I still have it around somewhere. The console also has an Atari Mexico sticker. There is not a serial number on the outside of the box.

Mitch

So back to the original question, does anyone else have a 7800 with this box? Towmater, were you able to tell if yours matched it or not?

Mitch

:ponder:

Has anyone seen this style 7800 box before? It is NTSC but it looks kind of like a PAL box.

Mitch

;)

To answer the 'revision' to the original question :-D ...I do not have a 7800 with that box.

• 2 months later...