IGNORED

The Mega Everdrive X3

coleco82

I bought this flash cart for my model 1 sega genesis 2 weeks ago. With the prices of genesis games going up high like Cheech and Chong, I wanted to play everything, and so I bought the cart. I knew that I would not be able to play virtua racing (pfft), or Mortal Kombat 2 Unlimited or Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy, (a excellent hack of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3). The only drawback to the Mega Everdrive X3 is that it will not load roms bigger than 4 Megabytes and it does not have support for EEPROM save based games. In the end I just wanted to slap every genesis game on there and enjoy the system.

I am having a blast with it and it is well worth the price, I mean turtles hyperstone heist, contra hard corps, and castlevania bloodlines, and M.U.S.H.A are worth it alone :P

Anyone that wants the genesis experience without paying high society dollars for the Mega Everdrive X7 should get the Mega Everdrive X3 it only cost me $83.25 US dollars, including shipping. This was for the deluxe version.

Remember to push reset after you have saved your game (RPG's mostly and sonic 3 and sonic and knuckles I think), otherwise your save will be gone.

All that is left to do now is to put Mega Man Wily Wars on there and I'm all set

A small update.

I was able to get NHLPA Hockey 93 to work on my Everdrive X3. I found a patched version of Mega Man Wily Wars in English that saves and is 60 HZ.

As far as commercial genesis games go all I have to get working is frank Thomas big hurt baseball.

I wont be sad if I cant find a working sram patched version of the game.

I am happy to put as many genesis games on there as I can.

I highly recommend the version of street fighter 2 CE that has the color improvement and the Z80 pcm music fix, it makes all the difference.

I got the Megadrive X7 when it was on sale., funny thing is though I've been playing Sega Master System on it more than anything, especially Phantasy Star :lol:

But yeah I love all the Everdrive carts.. SD2SNES for SNES, Mega X7 for Genesis/SMS, N8 for NES, Turbo ED for Turbografix/PCE, and of course GBA X5 for GBA. I don't really have a desire for the N64 cart.. but all those alone give your consoles the convenience of having 99% of the system's games without resorting to emulation or pricey collecting. :)

Edited by NE146

I know what you mean. The price of even loose carts these days are so high right now. For example, Musha on genesis or contra hard corps. For musha alone the mega everdrive is worth it. This retro video game shops think they can charge 1990s peak retail princes for these games. I wish this technology existed when I was 10 years old. Being able to bring 1 cart that plays everything would have been mind melting back then.

Forgive the ignorance of someone who should probably know better, but...

If I were to purchase an Everdrive, could I load the European or Japanese Mega CD Bios onto it and trick my American NTSC SEGA CD into being able to play foreign discs?

You can load the different region BIOS versions, yes. I was always under the impression the Sega CD could read import games just fine? It has no copy protection, so I assumed there wasnt region locking either. I could be (and probably am) totally wrong on that.

The only drawback to the Mega Everdrive X3 is that it will not load roms bigger than 4 Megabytes and it does not have support for EEPROM save based games. In the end I just wanted to slap every genesis game on there and enjoy the system.

Anyone that wants the genesis experience without paying high society dollars for the Mega Everdrive X7 should get the Mega Everdrive X3 it only cost me $83.25 US dollars, including shipping. This was for the deluxe version.

Do you know if there are any retail games that are over 4 megabytes? Also, are there any retail games that use EEPROM saves? I always assumed they were all battery backup back then. I purchased a X3 myself recently and would like to know ahead of time which games will have issues.

Oh, and on a side note, for those that don't want the deluxe edition, the standard cart/label combo is $55 after shipping from Krikzz directly. :)

Remember to push reset after you have saved your game (RPG's mostly and sonic 3 and sonic and knuckles I think), otherwise your save will be gone.

All that is left to do now is to put Mega Man Wily Wars on there and I'm all set

I was reading the "benefits" of the X3 over the old Everdrive MD, and one of them I thought was not having to hit reset to save your games. I will have to double check this.

I have an old Everdrive MD and I know on that one you have to hit reset to get it to save.

I just recently upgraded to the X3 myself to get over some of the limitations of the Everdrive MD (limited storage space--something like 1 or 2GB tops, FAT16 only I believe; Limited compatibility; No upgradeable firmware; Slower ROM loading). However, it still has some benefits over the X3, like having the SMS pause button (extremely important for that library). So, I plan on keeping it around for certain things. Still, the X3 is an amazing bang for your buck. I thought about going X7 but just couldn't justify the price at the time, along with a combination of just not having the money. I highly recommend any model you can get your hands on though, and the X3 is one of the best ways into the world of flash carts. You'll want one for every system after this!

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

I was always under the impression the Sega CD could read import games just fine? It has no copy protection, so I assumed there wasnt region locking either. I could be (and probably am) totally wrong on that.

Just a follow-up, I was indeed super-wrong on that. I checked with a friend who imports for it, and the Sega CD is definitely region locked. But yeah, you most certainly can load the BIOS from different reasons via the flash cart if you wanted to play imported CD games.

• Like 1

I'm trying to decide between mega everdrive X3 and X5? I'm leaning towards the x3. Can the X3 load sega CD bios files? Is pressing reset after saving that bad? Is mega-key even an needed with a model 1 with out tss? Just curious what you guys think. Thanks

Well, the X5 does have the SMS pause button. If you plan on playing SMS games, this is pretty important.

It looks like the X3 does require you to press reset after all for save functionality (I got it confused with the ED MD, where apparently you do not have to do it). I haven't had much of a use for the Hardware Mega Key, so that's a take it or leave it kind of thing for me personally.

While it can load the Sega CD BIOS, it doesn't act as a backup RAM cart (only X5 and up does that), so something else to keep in mind. Myself personally, I just use the internal Sega CD backup, but that might not be viable for people that play the RPGs where the internal data storage requirements are much larger.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

Hi Austin, In response to your earlier question of Genesis games that use EEPROM to save here they are.

Barkley: Shut Up and Jam! 2 (EEPROM)Blockbuster World Videogame Championship II (NBA Jam T.E. portion) (EEPROM)Brian Lara/Shane Warne Cricket (Europe/Australia exclusive title) (EEPROM)College Slam (EEPROM)Evander "Real Deal" Holyfield Boxing (EEPROM)Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball (EEPROM)Greatest Heavyweights of the Ring (EEPROM)Mega Man: The Wily Wars (Europe uses EEPROM, Japanese release uses SRAM)Micro Machines '96 (Europe exclusive title) (EEPROM)Micro Machines 2 (Europe exclusive title) (EEPROM)Micro Machines Military (Europe exclusive title) (EEPROM)NBA Jam (EEPROM)NBA Jam Tournament Edition (EEPROM)NBA Jam Tournament Edition 32X (EEPROM)NFL Quarterback Club (EEPROM)NFL Quarterback Club 32X (EEPROM)NFL Quarterback Club '96 (EEPROM)NHLPA Hockey '93 (EEPROM)Rings of Power (EEPROM)Sports Talk Baseball (EEPROM)Unnecessary Roughness '95 (EEPROM)Wonder Boy in Monster World (EEPROM)

to patch these games simply find the version of the game that ends with a (f), (f1), (f2), or {c), load those in your Mega Everdrive X3 or Everdrive MD and your all set.

Have a good day.

I went with the X5. The sms pause button and not having to press reset after saving got me. I'm sure I'd be happy with the X3, but with my collection I might as well get the X5.

Just a FYI, My bank froze my debit card with suspicious behavior after I bought it. I called and they told me since it was out of the US and < gasp > from Poland. LOL.

I guess I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Just a FYI, My bank froze my debit card with suspicious behavior after I bought it. I called and they told me since it was out of the US and < gasp > from Poland. LOL.

I guess I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Yeah whenever I buy from most any international place online or for one-off purchases, etc., I use a Credit Card with a "virtual number" service, where they generate a one-time use number specifically for online purchases, and then it can't be used ever again. It works great. The one I use is from Citi Cards but there may be others out there.

https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Products/Virtual-Account-Numbers

Interesting read. Knowing that the Everdrive can fool the Mega CD into loading into another BIOS is definitively going to convince me to acquire one. Not that I didn't planned to, but, it's not a priority. More goign to get a Master Everdrive first. I prefer the SMS really :)

• Like 1

Regarding "on the go", If you're fine with emulation it might be worth checking out the Everdrive for GBA. With it of course you'll get all GBA games, but also NES, SMS, GG, GB, and GBC support over emulation ( I recommend the smokemonster packs). Add that to a GBA SP and its fully loaded compact gaming goodness. :)

Heck right now at this very moment as I type this on an iPhone, I'm traveling, sitting in Dallas-Fort Worth airport and that's exactly what I chose to bring with me :lol:

post-31-0-50499800-1495593844_thumb.jpgpost-31-0-45245100-1495593887_thumb.jpgpost-31-0-93637000-1495593908_thumb.jpg

Well I'd rather do that on my PSP them. The GBA Pocket is far too small for my hands, it's a PITA to use. The Game Boy Advance is better, but with no backlit screen, it's not as good. Plus that mean, no possibility to play the games on the real console, which is the reason to pick up the fitting cart.

Yeah the PSP is great, especially these days when you don't have to spring for a Memory Card Duo (I remember forking out $99 for a 1 gig stick.. gah). Athough obviously that's going to be straight emulation for everything (except psp games). Also, a potential major problem with the original PSP is the d-pad.. which is horrible. The psp-2000 and 3000 are much better choices if you have them.

I've done my share of gaming on the PSP but the GBASP just fits so nicely in anything.. heck I shove it in my pocket and I barely know it's there. :lol: That's why it's my choice for on the go / travel.

Plus that mean, no possibility to play the games on the real console, which is the reason to pick up the fitting cart.

I'm not sure what you mean by that? :)