IGNORED

Atari Love

The CF card slot is such a game changer; especially on the Mega STe, with its 1GB total storage limit. I know I'm wasting 3GB, but what does it matter when the CF cards are $3 a pop. =). Plus, being able to switch so easily from a gaming desktop to a coding desktop to a gem applications desktop is simply wonderful.

• Like 1

I've got the same computer but with an external ultrasatan. I love it. Mega STe's are probably the best all-rounder, so fast and so compatible too. I love being able to switch processor speeds on the fly. Darn, I'm gonna power mine up now and have a game of something... :D

The CF card slot is such a game changer; especially on the Mega STe, with its 1GB total storage limit. I know I'm wasting 3GB, but what does it matter when the CF cards are $3 a pop. =). Plus, being able to switch so easily from a gaming desktop to a coding desktop to a gem applications desktop is simply wonderful.

I actually was able to find a ton of 1gb CF cards a few years ago on ebay I was going to use so I could switch OS's at will.

But I thought TOS 2.05/.06 was 512mb? Or are you running another driver?

(And no, I'm not playing "stump the professor", I really want to know because... well... I have all those 1gb CF cards....)

Edited by Tillek

The TOS limit is 512MB per partition, but the internal SCSI adaptor of the STE is crippled and can only address 1 gig in total. That's why there were replacements back in the day (e.g. "Link'96 Mega STE" here in Germany). This crippling effect does not extend to ACSI connected (i.e. external) hdds, of course.

Don't forget Stardust! That's another great STe game that just rocks. Some

advice - have your Mega STe hooked up to a decent sound system and

crank it UP! :)

There are other options for the Mega STe and the STacy (which share the

same internal adapter). Buy Alan H.'s internal adapter and do away with that

crippled piece of hardware.

http://www.fairlite.co.uk/AtariKit//ultrasatan/ultrasatan.html

You can follow the message thread here, although it's quite

long and I'd advise skipping to the last few pages:

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18687

post-5822-0-89423300-1494514217_thumb.jpg

HTHs.

Edited by DarkLord

Stardust now that's awesome!! Although I first read that and saw the pic and wondered what this new h/w thing was called Stardust... doh!

Utopia should be played also!! :D

oh and yes, 512MB is the max. I have all my partitions this way... but that's more than enough (for me)

• 2 weeks later...

Three great games and very different too. Try prince of persia, recently updated for the STe dma... I like this game but I'm also kinda sucky at it lol

Does it sound like the Amiga version, the Apple IIgs version, or something else?

Too bad the Mega STE doesn't support the Enhanced Joystick Ports... then again, not too much commercial software did...

The TOS limit is 512MB per partition, but the internal SCSI adaptor of the STE is crippled and can only address 1 gig in total. That's why there were replacements back in the day (e.g. "Link'96 Mega STE" here in Germany). This crippling effect does not extend to ACSI connected (i.e. external) hdds, of course.

Well, that's not entirely correct. ACSI protocol is what "cripples". It can perform only 5-bit SCSI commands, and 1GB limit is just one of limitations. ICD override it with trick - adding prefix, after what can give regular 8-bit SCSI commands too. Internal adapter is just designed for 5-bit ACSI protocol. ICD extension is used by newer adapters like UltraSatan, GigaFile.