IGNORED

What would the perfect Nintendo "retro" console look like to you?

To Clarify: A first party retro console made by Nintendo

To me it would have:

-HDMI out

-a good menu system with saving and cheat options.

-WiFi to download games, online high score boards

-Way to play NES/SNES/N64 cartridges, and potentially GB/GBC/GBA games

-SD cart slot

-Controller cables with various inputs so you can use NES/SNES/N64 controllers.

-Power in box so plug doesn't contain a brick

-Excellent unique Nintendo styling, a new take on retro not necessarily emulating the NES or SNES

What about for you?

Do you think they would ever build it? Seems like there would be a big market for something like this...

I could see them doing an SNES classic and N64 classic and maybe doing something like this 3-5 years down the road (keeping my fingers crossed anyway.)

Edited by travistouchdown
  • Like 1

Luckily for me, they made it already:

agg11_nes.jpg

I second that!

Each Nintendo system with an Everdrive cart is as close as it gets for me right now...

Still, if they were to really aim for the fences I think they could make an unbelievable retro oriented system that could be a true replacement for the original hardware.

I don't see the need to have both a cart slot and Wifi. Wifi would only be useful for some kind of official online store, for pirated stuff you can and should use the SD card slot. Nintendo would never want to support carts again. So if it's an official system, you get wifi, if it's a clone, you get cart slots. You're going to have to pick one.

I think they came pretty close with the NES Classic Mini, but they missed the mark by nailing down the list of games. The real draw for Nintendo would be to take their Virtual Console concept and simply apply it to a small, dedicated living room console.

To me, what would make an official first-party retro-console attractive are:

- Downloadable ROMs of NES, Super-NES, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, and N64 games. Game Cube too if they can make it work. The console would need some kind of big hard drive to store all the ROMs and firmware updates.

- No cart slot (too many problems with carts nowadays, and the unit's retail price would increase needlessly).

- HDMI output, with proper display options (although personally, I would only use integer-based scaling with no CRT effects whatsoever).

- Expansion port to attach a small screen and make the retro-console a sort of "tabletop" portable unit. The screen would be sold separately. Would be great for travelling, although you could only use it in places where electrical power sockets are present, like hotel rooms.

- Modern controllers that look and feel like the old ones (the NES Mini got that right) WITH NO LAG PLEASE.

- A save-state feature would be nice (NES Mini got that right too)

Anything else is either gravy or uninteresting.

• Like 1

Bring back the AV Toploader?

All arguments about technical aspects aside between the two;

NES carts were just designed too damn BIG to load top style like any traditional cartridge.

The second model looks great aesthetically until there's a big grey slab sticking out the top.

• Like 1

All arguments about technical aspects aside between the two;

NES carts were just designed too damn BIG to load top style like any traditional cartridge.

The second model looks great aesthetically until there's a big grey slab sticking out the top.

That's why if the toploader's shape was used for a miniature retro-console (like the NES toaster's shape was used for the NES Mini) then it should feature a cartridge slot for GB/GBC/GBA carts. Of course, I know this will never happen, but regardless, GB/GBC/GBA carts wouldn't stick out too much, I think. :)

• Like 1

I don't give a flip about yet another Nintendo clone, even a first party one. Unless it plays N64, we already have many options.

You know what I want? A pre-crash retron type thing. Give it Colecovision style controllers, make it play 2600, 7800, Intellivision & Colecovision at a minimum, have it come done up in black with sliver & rainbow accents, but with optional wood panels to snap in. I'd probably buy at least two.

• Like 3

I've often thought of a multi-retro-unit that had number pad controllers as a standard pack-in and have the system compaitble with intellivision/5200/colecovison/whatever used a number pad controller.

But then you have the issue with overlays...

Which brings my next idea... a retro console that (as much as I hate the concept) syncs with a smartphone/tablet app, and THAT can be your number pad controller, which of course can load whatever overlay you need and you could even customize button layouts maybe.

Edited by Torr

Which brings my next idea... a retro console that (as much as I hate the concept) syncs with a smartphone/tablet app, and THAT can be your number pad controller, which of course can load whatever overlay you need and you could even customize button layouts maybe.

Before it was your idea, it was my idea! Let's all get rich and famous.

I still think it's a fun idea, even if it doesn't have a shot at mainstream commercial release. As our pal from AtGames said, there's no profit in taking a niche product and making it even more niche.

I don't see the need to have both a cart slot and Wifi. Wifi would only be useful for some kind of official online store, for pirated stuff you can and should use the SD card slot. Nintendo would never want to support carts again. So if it's an official system, you get wifi, if it's a clone, you get cart slots. You're going to have to pick one.

All Nintendo would have to do is re-release the Wii with HDMI/USB-c Displayport with an updated store and SNES controllers. If we wanted to a little further, release SNES-style controllers with analog controls to play N64,GC and Wii games. However this doesn't offer anything better than the existing Wii/WiiU other than the HDMI.

It would look like my heavily modded top loader NES (rca, stereo separation wheel, and a little led under the power switch so it glows when on.) I still prefer the original style though but it needs more help due to design (and modding to kill that security chip.)

While I would love to see Nintendo rerelease the NES/SNES/N64/Game Boy with cart slots, anyone who thinks Nintendo will do this is smoking heavy on the Shrooms.

What we will get, if anything, are yearly repeats of the NES Mini, AtGames style, with yearly tweaks to the roster of NES, SNES, or N64 game selection. The NES Mini has more horsepower than the Wii, so it should be capable to upscale N64 games to at least 480p if not 720. So customers could just visit their local Walmart, drug store, or Dollar General during the holidays and pick up their favorite console, be it the NES Mini, SNES Mini, or N64 Mini.

If Nintendo is smart, this is what they will do. But Nintendo has been known to sit on IP rather than milk their cash cows for profit, so I dunno. I would love an SNES Mini though. Please Nintendo, make it happen... :D

If Nintendo would just release the Virtual Console for the Switch and put a lot of effort into making it a no-brainer "Shut up and take my money!" high quality service then I may already own the perfect first party retro Nintendo console. Maybe not satisfying all of my niche desires to completely replace all of my original hardware perfect but mass market perfect.

• Like 1

Kosmic, I mostly agree about how cartridges aren't happening-- but going to Dollar General during the holidays? That is most definitely an AtGames only thing. Nintendo isn't a bush league player.

Really? Nintendo just made a huge bush league move with the Nintendo Mini Classic on top of dropping the ball on great game possibilities for the Wii.

Really? Nintendo just made a huge bush league move with the Nintendo Mini Classic on top of dropping the ball on great game possibilities for the Wii.

Maybe from the point of view of a consumer or a fan.

Seems to me, they got a ton of press attention, sold out their stock, and didn't lose any money on the NES Classic, and had a highly successful launch of their new hybrid console.

"Great game possibilities for the Wii" -- not understanding this. The Wii has been dead for years, and the Wii U moribund. The Wii isn't coming back anytime soon.

To Clarify: A first party retro console made by Nintendo

To me it would have:

-HDMI out

-a good menu system with saving and cheat options.

-WiFi to download games, online high score boards

-Way to play NES/SNES/N64 cartridges, and potentially GB/GBC/GBA games

-SD cart slot

-Controller cables with various inputs so you can use NES/SNES/N64 controllers.

-Power in box so plug doesn't contain a brick

-Excellent unique Nintendo styling, a new take on retro not necessarily emulating the NES or SNES

What about for you?

Do you think they would ever build it? Seems like there would be a big market for something like this...

I could see them doing an SNES classic and N64 classic and maybe doing something like this 3-5 years down the road (keeping my fingers crossed anyway.)

I'm with you on everything except for the SD card slot. Reason being is that it would not be done if they are going to give you an option to download games from their servers. They wouldn't put an SD slot into a console allowing you to put any ROM you want and then expect you to download a game from them. If they are going to make a retro system with the other features you would like it has to be beneficial to them as well. But yes I want it to accept all the cartridges, and also the ability to buy games from them as well to download from their servers.

Really if they just included that option on the NES mini that would have been great. Instead they didn't include that option and the system got hacked allowing people to have any games they wanted on it. Just imagine how much money Nintendo lost that they could have gotten by allowing people to purchase these games instead online. But also I believe that nobody should have to purchase a game they already own(One reason I hate Nintendo) which is why I'm for the cartridge slots as you mentioned. I've heard people say before that it keeps costs down which must be BS because if not we wouldn't have the clones brand new on ebay with 2 slots for $16 so I know it wouldn't cost them much to include cartridge slots. I don't believe it would cost too much to include wifi either but nothing else just a USB port and allow us to hook up our own wifi adapters if we want to go online and purchase games from them.

EDIT:

I guess if it allows carts you could use an Everdrive anyway if you wanted SD. Also I couldn't care less about whether or not the power supply is in the unit or if they use a power brick. I don't see the big deal behind that to me it doesn't matter one bit.

Edited by SignGuy81

Maybe from the point of view of a consumer or a fan.

Seems to me, they got a ton of press attention, sold out their stock, and didn't lose any money on the NES Classic, and had a highly successful launch of their new hybrid console.

"Great game possibilities for the Wii" -- not understanding this. The Wii has been dead for years, and the Wii U moribund. The Wii isn't coming back anytime soon.

The Wii U is only moribund as you put it because of Nintendo's poor management. I have a Wii U and will not buy a Switch because of the way Nintendo handled the Wii U.

Poor advertising. Stupid controller controller options/setups(purchase of some virtual titles requiring the use of certain controllers that you don't have for no other reason than to be stupid). It was literally a pain trying to get the controllers setup to play some of the games on the Virtual Console. And also just not having a regular damn controller as the main option and shipped with unit. The pro controller should have shipped with the Wii Us and also should have analog triggers. All the other BS Nintendo wants to give you should be accessories.

I will never buy another Nintendo product after the Wii U as I've learned my lesson. I used to love Nintendo back in the day with the NES and SNES but in my opinion they were the last great consoles that Nintendo ever made, everything else after was just stupid. N64 had a stupid looking controller and for some odd reason they wanted to throw "64" on the end of every game title which to me was also stupid. The game cube just looked stupid to me and also had a stupid controller.

Those are just my opinions I'm sure I'll get some hate over them from Nintendo fans.

Edited by SignGuy81

Because he has bitter feelings and is just lashing out. Trust me I get it, I was pissed to hell wasting that kind of money on the Wii PU. Had the Switch been a dedicated console i would have ignored it until it proved it wasn't going to die a horrid death within 18months like the turd box before it did. I just had a feeling being a handheld that docks it would fare better so I jumped at it. To blow them off entirely just seems dumb to me as they've been consistently solid on their handheld devices since the 80s.

This is why I never buy anything at launch & always focus on software- just because my Wii U is already obsolete doesn't mean it was a waste of money- I got enough games out of it to be worth the investment. No system last forever, sometimes really great ones die early deaths because their parent companies are dumb (*coughvitacough*).Just make sure you can get what you want out of it before you go in.

• Like 2