IGNORED

Commodore 128 vs 64 reliability

I've been meaning to ask this for a while since I have two C128's and a spare power supply that were all given to me years back. Both computers and all the power supplies work and I have a nice 1571 disk drive to go with them. What I am wondering is how the 128 compares in reliability to the 64? I have two 64's (one original one 64C), but after reading about the various power supply problems and chip problems over the years my units basically sit on a shelf. Was the 128 any better made?

Well, I found a C128 by the side of the road (trash day) with 2 power supplies, a modded 1571 drive (Datel Burst Nibbler which has never worked) & some extras about 15 years ago... and after sitting in a box in my basement for almost 10 years everything works just fine ... the 1571 was kept in better conditions, though. The few C64's I've had were all problematic, but I got them for free, so...

Edited by firebottle

They are both the same in terms of reliability honestly. I have had bad C128's and bad C64's. As long as they are kept well (covered when not in use, in good temp environments) and used occasionally a good machine will remain a good machine. And using a Ray Carlsen power supply instead of any other type of power supply is the best power option. I use one of his supplies on my Vic, C64 and Amiga 500 (custom PSU built for me that powers all three).

Yes it is the PSUs rather than the machines themselves. Although earlier (Breadbin) C64s seem to suffer more PLA chip breakdowns than the later C64c versions. Considering what is going on inside a 128 it's amazing that they still work to this day.

I've been using C-64s since 1983, and C-128s since 1986, and I have found the C-128 much more dependable. Oddly enough the C-128Dcr had power supply problems every now and then. I have C-64s, C-64Cs, and C-128s. The C-128 is the only machine I currently use.

Tip about 1541-II drives: throw away the original power supply, build your own from an PC AT power supply or pretty much anything else that outputs 5V DC + 12V DC at enough amount of ampere. Even those cheap hard drive power supplies from China probably do a better job than the original 1541-II supply. The connector is not super hard to find neither, a 4-pin DIN.