IGNORED

Stupidly EXPENSIVE & Rare PlayStation 1 (PS1) Games

Honestly PS1 prices have dropped. Compared to like 8 years ago. I use to sell FF7 $60 all day, Now it's a $20 game, virtual console did that. I remember having 5 or 6 FF7 at one time, yard sales were good to me lol.

Tron Bonne has dropped even from last year. Tomba use to hit $80 all day. Intelligent Qube use to be a $90 game, now it's not even half that. I'm just glad I never really forked out a ton of $$ on my collection. I just let it sit and don't care too much about value....until it gets stupid high like nes and then I start selling it LOL.

Honestly PS1 prices have dropped. Compared to like 8 years ago. I use to sell FF7 $60 all day, Now it's a $20 game, virtual console did that. I remember having 5 or 6 FF7 at one time, yard sales were good to me lol.

Tron Bonne has dropped even from last year. Tomba use to hit $80 all day. Intelligent Qube use to be a $90 game, now it's not even half that. I'm just glad I never really forked out a ton of $$ on my collection. I just let it sit and don't care too much about value....until it gets stupid high like nes and then I start selling it LOL.

I might have to check out some PS1 games before the retro hits too hard then ;)

• 1 month later...

I followed up this video today with one covering the Nintendo DS:

Games Shown:

Dokapon Journey - about $150

Solatorobo Red the Hunter - $120+
My World My Way - about $85
The Dark Spire - about $70
Pokemon SoulSilver Walmart Edition - $200+
Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ - about $40
Avalon Code - $70
Retro Game Challenge - about $45
Blue Dragon Awakened Shadow - About $50
Shepherd's Crossing 2 - $115

I was collector conscious by the time I got my DS, and I had an eye for some of the rare titles. Glad to see Retro Game Challenge made your list. That's one of my favorite DS games! Wish we got the sequel.

I should go back through my DS collection. I haven't done that in a while. I know I have some rare ones, including one of the Fire Emblem games still sealed.

Another one I bought that I figured would be worth bucks now was Bangai-O Spirits. It's still sealed, too. Valued at around $13 on PriceCharting right now.

Another one I bought that I figured would be worth bucks now was Bangai-O Spirits. It's still sealed, too. Valued at around $13 on PriceCharting right now.

That's the thing with the DS, there are probably 100 games at that $40-$50 range... maybe more. I think one of the reasons why they hold their value is because so many of them were only released on the DS with it's unique hardware. Certainly makes collecting for the handheld fun and interesting!

I made the huge mistake in selling 75% of my PS1 (and most of my PS2) games about 10-12 years ago and almost all were what is now considered "stupid expensive". I finally got a CIB Suikoden II, III, IV, V, all 5 WildARMs, and some Tales games back. My surprise? Suikoden II is still stupid expensive but most of the other stuff isn't.

Einhander was awesome and remains #3 on my top space shooters list begins Nemesis and Gradius III.

My PS1 collection has grown quite a lot since then but prices have dropped a ton in the last 5-7 years. Final Fantasy Tactics is super cheap now compared to the almost $90 price tag for the black label version back then. Get the PS1 games now while you can because I think the prices will go back up again.

I have Adventures of Lomax. Given that I almost exclusively collect from Goodwill, you can imagine my shock when I discovered I'd just bought a 120 dollar game for just 1.

It's the most valuable game in my collection, and I found it on a fluke. Crazy enough, it happened less than 2 years ago.

My second most valuable ps1 game is Clock tower, followed by the longbox version of Silverload.

Edited by Lendorien
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

It's not extremely expensive (especially by JRPG and shooter standards), but I was surprised last night to see that Colin McRae 2.0 for the PS1 seems to be a $50 game these days. Must be close to being the most expensive racer on the platform.

I've wanted it for years, but always thought it was a $10 game or so. Even though the original managed to be a hit in North America despite rally racing being such a niche here, the PS2 launch must've held this one back from equaling that success (It released in early December, the same year that the PS2 appeared).

At $50 though, I'll have to think this one over a bit before buying it (Such as checking out the Japanese version on YouTube that is cheap to import first, to see if there's an English navigator option).

Edited by Atariboy

I rented Vanark, Ray Tracers, and Einhander from a video store back in the 90's and enjoyed all three immensely (I played and beat the 1st two over a couple days). I also remember enjoying a couple demo discs with the rare games Intelligent Cube and Tail Concerto.

I've managed to find Ray Tracers for around $11 at a local game store within the past couple years... and one day about a year ago a sales clerk at a local game store asked me if I was looking for anything in particular, to which I responded that I'd love to get Einhander for a reasonable price. In fact I said something about how it'd be great if they had it as a disc-only game so it'd be more affordable.

The guy said- let me look, and within seconds raises up a disc from behind the counter and says, we have that. I tried not to let my eyes bug outta my head and said that I'd like to have it for twenty dollars. He agreed on the amount I offered and I had an incredible find that day :)

Now, if only I could get Intelligent Cube or any of the others I mentioned that way... Well, Probably not. But I'm happy with what I do have!

^^^^ It sounds like you only want the games to play. Ever consider just getting a modded ps1 and burning the games?

I have intelligent Qube it's one of my fav. games. I purchased that many years ago. Another of my favorites is Zanac x Zanac which is an import I purchased off this site many years ago when I first joined. I have never played it (other than to test) though LOL. I have a burned copy I play. I do not play my rare disc based games for fear of scratching them.

• Like 1

If you absolutely have to have physical games, then picking up the Japanese versions of some of these titles is another way to go. Einhander cost me just under $30 after shipping from Japan this Summer, CIB. Intelligent Qube, $10, CIB. Lots of good stuff that would normally be expensive over here in North America is still reasonable for the Japanese versions.

You can either mod a PS1 or buy a Japanese system (I personally have a Japanese PS2, makes life easier and opens up my import options). The nice thing about this is that it also opens you up to other options that never released here.

Two years ago I actually sold off nice copies of Intelligent Qube and Einhander, among a few other good PS1 games. Those two by themselves almost completely paid for a PSIO cartridge, allowing me to still play the games direct from the images I made. This course of action has a higher upfront cost but can be a real budget-saver in the long run, especially if any more PS1 games rise in price.

You can still get okay prices on stuff, if you're willing to wait or don't jump at the first BIN you see. I lost out on an auction for Suzuki Bakuhatsu the other day*, which generally goes for around forty or fifty bucks (or more if you're not careful)... but another copy came up a couple of days later for 20 bucks plus shipping. Patience and keeping an eye out are still the keys to not getting price roasted.

*which I had been dying to play since I read about it on Hardcore Gaming 101 a while back. It's a great game where you constantly have to defuse bombs hidden in various everyday objects