IGNORED

Dead disk activity light (LED)

I have a non responsive disk indicator light (the one on the keyboard). I'm hoping its just a dead LED, and not something else.

As a replacement, can I use a 2mm LED like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20PCS-2mm-Red-Diffused-LED-Flat-Top-Leds-Light-Red-Lens-Free-Resistors-for-12V-/322474048774?hash=item4b14f37d06:g:vzMAAOSw~CFY5fyO

...or is a 3mm LED more appropriate?

Thanks

Phil

Size does not matter - contrary to what Godzilla says :)

Hi, errr..thanks.

However I was wondering about the size in respect to the hole that it has to go into on the keyboard. 3mm or 2mm?

Don't want to have to drill the hole bigger, and would be nice to be sure before ordering.

Cheers

Phil

Don't get it - why reply if you can't be of any help?

I thought it was a simple enough question that someone may know the answer too, maybe having replaced the LED themselves. Thought it could save me cracking the case open and pulling the keyboard apart, which is probably the best way to accurately measure the LED.

So thats what I'll do

Harrumph.

Thanks for the link, that's great.

He seems to use a 3mm LED (a little hard to tell), but he also needed to drill out a larger hole in the keyboard plastic.

Maybe the 2mm would actually be a better option as it may not need any drilling.

Thanks

P

Ok...so the answer is a 3mm LED is the perfect fit...but only of you file down the plastic lip (rim) around the base of the LED.

I've put an LED in without filing the lip down, and although it works perfectly ok, it sits low in the keyboard hole, and therefore when the case is assembled the LED is not as bright and defused as it could be.

Cheers

Phil

Edited by nama