IGNORED

Those with unmodified systems might find this useful...

I think I recall seeing a big thick hard rubber Y type thing that goes right into the wall (or power strip) too many years ago to remember when. I bet that might work without having more cords dangling around, though it probably would look a little funny trying to balance 2 NES/SNES power bricks in the air in some sick balancing act.

US NES and SNES power bricks are wall hogs?

It's one think I like with nintendo up to the Switch, that all of their systems came with a CORD.

980003242.jpg

Nes, SNES, N64, GC, Wii and Wii U all came with "corded" power supplies. The portable doesn't, but the GBA/DS/3DS power supplies are thin enough that they doesn' take more space that a regular plug here.

Side note to both of these there is a great brick separator option thats relatively cheap.

pwr-crd16-515p515r-1new.jpg

I got 12 for like $6 a few years back and it makes your power strip into a crazy looking cord spider but it works.

I probably should see what I could source locally just out of curiosity. I kind of want to dig out the old systems again as I'm tired of seeing the Retron5 having the potential of turning into a non-lucrative dust bunny farm. I'd settle for a Retrofreak with the NES+Controller adapter though. Problem is I can't seem to find one sold in the US.

I probably should see what I could source locally just out of curiosity. I kind of want to dig out the old systems again as I'm tired of seeing the Retron5 having the potential of turning into a non-lucrative dust bunny farm. I'd settle for a Retrofreak with the NES+Controller adapter though. Problem is I can't seem to find one sold in the US.

They aren't sold in stores in the US. You have to use something like Play-asia http://www.play-asia.com/retro-freak-premium/13/708vvv to import or https://www.amazon.com/Cyber-Gadget-Retro-Freak-Controller-Adapter/dp/B00ZZ70KMG Note they are meant for Asia so they have FC slots not NES slots.

Edited by Kismet

US NES and SNES power bricks are wall hogs?

It's one think I like with nintendo up to the Switch, that all of their systems came with a CORD.

980003242.jpg

Nes, SNES, N64, GC, Wii and Wii U all came with "corded" power supplies. The portable doesn't, but the GBA/DS/3DS power supplies are thin enough that they doesn' take more space that a regular plug here.

Different region, different designs, and likely different rules. In USA just about every console that uses cart also uses wall hogging brick. Sega CD and Jaguar CD also has wall hogging brick. TG-16 CD system however do not have that, they are inline style with small standard plug. All of the CD system (Saturn, DC, XBox, PSX, etc) all uses internal power or inline power brick and small plug.

A fully decked out Genesis or Mega Drive system with CD and 32X needs 3 bulky bricks and uses up the whole 6-outlet power strip on its own.

There are aftermarket adapters or custom mod that gets around all these problem but some of the aftermarket adapters are of shit quality that is prone to adding signal hum that can produce annoying sound or wavy picture.

Side note to both of these there is a great brick separator option thats relatively cheap.

pwr-crd16-515p515r-1new.jpg

I got 12 for like $6 a few years back and it makes your power strip into a crazy looking cord spider but it works.

Or I have 2 of these at home.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Accell-PowerSquid-5-Outlet-Multiplier-D080B-007K-R/204640232?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D27E-Electrical%7c&gclid=CjwKEAjw6e_IBRDvorfv2Ku79jMSJAAuiv9Yj3Z9Q7BQ3gETA808pD7FiOZ2LylXnMfR1qmcTzv5AxoCLzbw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Don't remember where I got them. Maybe bestbuy but its no longer available. But the homedepot one is the same thing. Except mine are yellow like this.

https://powersquid.myshopify.com/collections/all/products/power-outlet-multiplier-black-yellow

• Like 1

They aren't sold in stores in the US. You have to use something like Play-asia http://www.play-asia.com/retro-freak-premium/13/708vvv to import or https://www.amazon.com/Cyber-Gadget-Retro-Freak-Controller-Adapter/dp/B00ZZ70KMG Note they are meant for Asia so they have FC slots not NES slots.

Quite aware of that, but they now sell a US NES Adapter with it as of recently this year. They have a combination not sold in the US yet but it has the System+NES Adapter+Controller Adapter. That looks like one slick ideal package to me.

$_1.JPG

keeping in mind how much power you draw though these stacked up on a power strip

IE dont stack a craptopn of these and run your TV, 1000000 watt THX surround sound, 2 heaters and 20 consoles though one wall outlet

cause every wall wart consumes a little bit of power even without a load

Edited by Osgeld

Different region, different designs, and likely different rules. In USA just about every console that uses cart also uses wall hogging brick. Sega CD and Jaguar CD also has wall hogging brick. TG-16 CD system however do not have that, they are inline style with small standard plug. All of the CD system (Saturn, DC, XBox, PSX, etc) all uses internal power or inline power brick and small plug.

A fully decked out Genesis or Mega Drive system with CD and 32X needs 3 bulky bricks and uses up the whole 6-outlet power strip on its own.

There are aftermarket adapters or custom mod that gets around all these problem but some of the aftermarket adapters are of shit quality that is prone to adding signal hum that can produce annoying sound or wavy picture.

For Sega you need this.

SegaPowerStrip.jpg

• Like 1

$_1.JPG

keeping in mind how much power you draw though these stacked up on a power strip

IE dont stack a craptopn of these and run your TV, 1000000 watt THX surround sound, 2 heaters and 20 consoles though one wall outlet

cause every wall wart consumes a little bit of power even without a load

That's the hard rubber thing that branched off I was thinking of exactly. My parents house had a couple older ugly gray ones in their garage years ago. The strip right now has the Switch, NES CE, and Wii on it along with a Lava lamp that's rarely on with one empty jack left. The other plug on that piece of the wall is empty. A few feet away though those 2 plugs both have strips which have the cable, internet/wireless tv devices, tv, uverse box, GC, DC, N64, Retron5 and PS4 on the pair.

I have no idea why Nintendo chose to use a flat plug cord. All other systems with external power supplies used wall hogs, and Pongs used them too. Older models were even more horrible, for two reasons :

One, like US plugs, they had the pins directly on the body. But as recessed round outlets were introduced in the late 70's, those are usunable today. And second, unlike most power supplies, the pins were in the MIDDLE, so you couldn't plug them on the edge of a non-grounded power strip, because they would cover the other plugs anyway.

I guess that maybe some countries in Europe ban the use of wall hogs and Nintendo decided to distribute corded power supplies to everybody.

Or they were aware that unlike in the US, most houses in Europe in the 70's and 80's came with two outlets per room (separate. We don't have dual outlets like the US. At best now they are modular blocks that you can assemble to make two), and that a long cord (on early NES power supplies, the length of the cords is about 2 metres/6 fts!) would help people connecting the system to different outlets. This or that most poser strips would be ungrounded, making a wall hog impossible to hook on this kind of power "distributor" :

$_57.JPG

:D

Pretty sure it wasn't a rule as we had wall hogs. Or a rule of weight, maybe. Tho Sega power supplies doesn't feel lighter than NES/SNES ones.

most warts in the us are not grounded either

Neither they are here. I meant that the walls plugs weren't grounded, and the "power things" put in pics would be too weak to carry the weight of a wall hog.

You could use a grounded strip, power supplies can be fitted in them here because our plugs are larger (not as large as UK one, but larger anyway :

p1000160_1024-1ae4e17.jpg

But here, to avoid people plugging grounded plugs into ungrounded sockets, they made the pins of grounded plugs thicker. So you can't use a grounded power strip on an ungrounded outlet (well in theory. Some people drilled the outlet holes, other found out that some brands had larger holes than the other and that grounded plugs would fit in them, etc. Plus later, they introduced an "ungrounded - large power plug" that used the grounded standard but allowed to plug regular ungrounded plugs in. talk about making shit with safety).

I saw a power strip today that was fat with 2 rows of 3 plugs, then a gap with an added 1 off to the side so you can use lame wall wart boxes of annoyance with it. Problem is something like that one, I'm a little nervous buying them used since you don't know if the surge protection was blown and could start a fire.