IGNORED

XEL-CF Compact Flash Adapter for 1088XEL (formerly XEL-I3)

mytek

I finally have my 1088XEL done but i am having trouble with the XEL-CF all i get is it saying "waiting for media" what am i doing wrong and what format is the cf card? special thanks to Mytek and MacRorie for helping me.

Just curious, does it work at the APT level (i.e., at the SDX prompt)?

It won't unless he's set up the APT, and he says the card is formatted FAT16.

We need to know:

Is the correct (XEL) loader installed?

What shows up on the loader's 'Device' menu?

Right, I was kind of hoping that had been set up. Sometimes (at least in my experience), it tells me that the physical system is set up correctly, but the card is marginal. I understand that is a little weird, but then I'm a little weird ;-)

Right, I was kind of hoping that had been set up. Sometimes (at least in my experience), it tells me that the physical system is set up correctly, but the card is marginal. I understand that is a little weird, but then I'm a little weird ;-)

Yes - appreciated. The loader's device menu provides us with the most direct means of establishing whether an IDE controller is even present at the expected address, though, regardless of whether the card is even readable or in what manner it's been formatted.

We haven't been told whether the 'Waiting for media' message eventually clears, either, which it would if a card reset timed out after the controller failed to become ready. The only scenario in which the 'Waiting for media' message remains visible indefinitely is when the SIDE Loader fails to detect a SIDE cartridge, or - when a SIDE2 is present - detects that no card is present. He's what you see when no SIDE cart is present:

post-21964-0-40689600-1545570091.png

This message will never clear since it's impossible to attach the cartridge without rebooting the whole system. If the SIDE2 is present but no card is present, 'Waiting for media' will be continually displayed until a CF card is inserted. But that's the SIDE loader...

On the 1088XEL, when no media is present, the XEL Loader displays 'Waiting for media' for some seconds and then this:

post-21964-0-33855600-1545570473.png

Since the XEL-CF is not detectable by means other than looking for the media itself, having the XEL-CF disconnected or improperly connected will cause the exact same result.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2

XEL.ROM Firmware?

https://atari8.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/1088XEL_Firmware_v.2_Final_230718.zip

Run UFLASH.XEX from the SpartaDOS X prompt and flash the FIRMWARE.ROM file to the 'Firmware' slot which shows up in the list when the U1MB is detected. I don't know what methods you have for transporting files from the PC to the 1088XEL, but the files of interest are in the 'UPDATE.ATR' disk image and in the ROM folder in the archive.

There are brief instructions in the readme file and a more verbose description of the update process in the manual:

https://atari8.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Ultimate-1MB-Incognito-and-1088XEL-U1MB-Firmware-Manual.pdf

Who actually flashed the stock U1MB firmware to the device in the first place?

• Like 1

that sadly was me that flashed it in the first place flashjazzcat. Building it was easy for me,the software part I am unfortunately not very good at.

With all of your help i am getting closer as you can see. I still cant get the part to fdisk the CF Card it says no APT devices found.

I am sooooo close :)

again sorry for being so dense and thanks for the help

post-7849-0-47823200-1546021548_thumb.jpg

post-7849-0-73766300-1546021564_thumb.jpg

post-7849-0-50595000-1546021574_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

It's no problem: I just wanted to establish whether you were already familiar with the flashing procedure, since this saves me writing lengthy explanations. :)

You need to head over to the 'PBI BIOS and Hard Disk' menu in the main BIOS setup utility and enable 'PBI BIOS' and 'Hard disk'. FDISK will then be able to detect the CF card. ;)

The loader (since it can be used when the PBI BIOS is disabled and on stand-alone devices like the SIDE2 cartridge) does not rely on the PBI BIOS. Instead it communicates directly with the IDE controller, which is why the loader is a good first-step to diagnosing hardware issues.

• Like 4

Thanks for the patience and help flashjazzcat. the flashing procedure I understand it's picking the correct file I get wrong :(

I did what you said in the PBI BIOS and Hard Disk menu it now hangs on this screen and will not go any further and i sent a screenshot of the setting i have in the menu

post-7849-0-76448700-1546110890_thumb.jpg

post-7849-0-74298600-1546110922_thumb.jpg

I did what you said in the PBI BIOS and Hard Disk menu it now hangs on this screen and will not go any further and i sent a screenshot of the setting i have in the menu

I've never seen the PBI BIOS hang in this way and I'm not sure what would cause it. If the BIOS fails to get a response from the drive, it will time out and simply return control to the OS. We can assume the partition table was looked for (whether found or not) since the PBI version notice is displayed well after that stage and control is by then returned to the operating system. It actually looks like the OS or SpartaDOS X is hanging for some reason. Try disabling 'PBI logo' and see if things are any different.

• 4 months later...

I'll be putting a dual XEL-CF3 drive in my 1088XEL. I wanted to go ahead and pickup two CF cards for it in advance. I see SanDisk are recommended, which is good because I use them almost exclusively. I also see that 30MB/s or less rated cards are suggested. I'm curious about capacity. How large a card can be accessed with the CF3 and is a certain size range better than another for any practical reason?

I also saw several references to a special 30MB/s refurbished card direct from SanDisk. Does anyone have a link for those or know if they're still available? The oldest/slowest cards I can find on their site are 50MB/s, 4GB and 16GB.

Thanks.

Edited by bfollowell