IGNORED

jumpy tac-2 controller

Swami

Hi,

I just received my first tac-2 joystick controller. It is supposed to be new old stock and looks very shiny and new, but when I tested it out on Frogger, my frog tend to occasionally jump to the left when I push him forward and other such inadvertent movements when jumping in other direction often causing unnecessary frog deaths. There is only one screw on the bottom, so I'm not sure how to open it, unless I have to take the rubber feet off, which would be bad if I have to return it.

I have original CX-40 controllers, a slik stik, a wico bat (which is too large for my liking), flashback 2 controllers and a few others and have never seen this problem. Usually it is the opposite with a bad controller where there is a delay or miss in motion or fire. Anyone else have this unwanted movement problem with a new tac-2?

BTW, it works great with Pheonix and about as so-so as any controller (except a diamond gate stick) with the pac-mans.

Thanks.

Edited by Swami

Okay. So it seems to have a hair trigger to the left, barely a tap necessary, while it needs a push to go other directions, like it is off centered. Opened it up and everything seems okay.

But, I have noticed it is just a hair from touching the left side of the top black ring around the joystick. I can only move the top center of the ball 1mm to the left before touching the ring, but I have to move the top center of the ball about 4 mm to the right to get it touch the black ring.

Well, it seems the joystick in a little off center, but by twisting the joystick like a dial I was able to get it more or less centered between the left and right and that seems to have fixed the problem for now. Hopefully this will stick or get better with time. Its not like new tac-2's grow on trees. Hopefully not a defective return like a bent shaft. Hard to tell how it is being centered under the rubber octagonal piece around the joystick shaft.

• 2 years later...

Hi, maybe someone can help me here with my Tac-2 that injust received in it's original box.  It was not tested and i do have another one that is working great.  When i tested it, noticed that the right and left directions were not so responsive and have to play with it to make it work.  I opened upit and clean all the contacts and make sure they are right.  Clean both fire buttons too.  It is still doing the same thing.  

The only thing i noticed was the steel clip around the metal shaft with a connector (like a ground) that is quite loose. I checked this clip on my other joystick and it is tight!!  Can it be the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as it is a nice joystick to play with. Thanks