IGNORED

The Obligatory "post-divorce, thinking of selling my collection" thread

I'm officially moving out into my own (small) apartment this Monday after a marriage of over four years (definitely not seeking pity; its truly a mixed blessing I suppose). However, I'm no longer going to have a "game room" and, speaking honestly, part of my fanatical collecting is what led to the demise of my relationship. I've spent the majority of my spare time collecting, ebay searching, playing games then more constructive activities... I'm 34 and make a meek salary at best and this whole "divorce" situation is helping me realize I need to get my priorities in check, etc.

I love game collecting/playing (I own over 25 systems and over 200 games or so (or more!)), but it doesn't *thrill/entertain* me as it used to. My true passion is film making/story telling/writing and retro game collecting is just something that randomly happened to me over time. I can't help but hate myself for not saving money for a nice camera or editing suite over the years, instead working to fuel my seemingly endless addiction for "game collecting"... Plus, now I just don't have the room for it all. So, I'd most likely have to put them (my collection) into climate-controlled storage which, obviously, would cost $$$ that I'm not looking to spend right now...

I was *somewhat* entertaining the idea of selling my collection and with a portion of the money getting a cute lil' MAME bartop for my new place as I just want to occasionally play some TMNT (among others) here and there and I really like this guy's work (been talking with him via emails; does really, by my standards, nice custom work):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/star-trek-themed-raspberry-pi-bartop-arcade-19-lcd-soundbar-and-1000s-of-games/201893333653?_trksid=p2481888.c100678.m3607&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908131621%26meid%3Daa0f6412ae554facabfc7e186dfeb07b%26pid%3D100678%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D7%26sd%3D380448931916&_trkparms=pageci%253Aa8df79b7-36c3-11e7-be67-74dbd180a2ea%257Cparentrq%253Afab73a4f15b0aa11e9d01c5bfffe78cc%257Ciid%253A1

This way, I can still play 100's of retro titles and I can put the money towards (finally) resuming making films to enter in festivals/upload to vimeo, etc. Is that a decent price for a bartop of that quality? I still LOVE retro gaming but think I'm entering a phase in my life where I just want to make more of my time/creativity and "collecting plastic" just isn't that important to me.

Any thoughts/opinions on this? Please and thank you,

Mike

Edited by TaskenLander

... sounds like you need to make a film somehow related to retrogaming.

Sucks about the divorce; I can't speak to what it's like for the other folks on this board, but my wife is generally supportive of my collecting. The only system she actually enjoys is the NES, she could not care less about my APF M1000, much like I don't give a crap about the awful tv dramas she likes. We have alone time and space and I believe it brings us closer together. I hope your future mate can offer you the same understanding and arrangement.

That said, as a media professional myself, I have to wonder if this is the time for you to pour yourself into making a retrogaming film (doc/narrative?). Making a film will consume all of your free time and it may rekindle your passion for your collection. Maybe your collection contains a game that will inspire you.

I don't know. I don't want to come off as sophomoric or medaling, but we seem to have a lot in common, just a few twists of fate and I could be in your boat. Hell, I'm even a Mike too.

Good luck man. Keep us posted will ya?

• Like 2

Not in the same position, don't know anyone else exactly who is either. But I do know some who have looked for some reason to say enough is enough and pulled out the sledge hammer on their collection. The best thing to do, if you really are going into a smaller place, and you're already resolved knowing you can't take it all, and storage isn't an option because you feel it would have to cost a lot for climate control, plus you're looking at PI like options as a sub...your mind is pretty well made and needs a nudge.

You need to decide is this a partial or total liquidation. Second to that, if it's partial, where do you draw the line and can you be not weak willed and keep to that plan? Like could you keep anything you attained growing up with the stuff (say pre-21st century) that you have feelings for and nuke all the rest (or at worst short 1-2% of that?) Let's say you can, you have money now and space. What do you do with it? You seem to be into expensive video editing and filming, get that stuff you know you screwed up on with the money. Use that as your driving goal as a strong motive is better than a wussy weak one you'll maybe waffle on. It's good to find some redirect of the attention, something you normally couldn't afford as it'll have more personal value to you. And in the end the less crap lying around the more time you have for what you didn't toss to the wolves.

I've been doing that. I ditched a lot of dead weight video games and have been for quite a few years now and I put that back into both usable stuff I really use daily like laptops and tablet type stuff. I also got an arcade cabinet and a pinball machine I'd never be able to normally afford and because of that I value them all immensely more than some dumb roms on a chip in a cart I could do without. That easily could have been a camera and editing tools if I cared about it.

Just think before you act, then act on it, keep acting on it, and have an end goal/reward in mind as it can help a lot.

To tie a couple of loose threads together (possibly inappropriately), maybe you could consider documenting the process of parting with your collection: how it became a near obsession, what it cost you, how it feels to be rid of it (regret, relief) or whatever your experience has been.

Then you can get rich from the film proceeds and rebuild your collection. ;)

Not that I have a particular recommendation or opinion about keeping or selling, I just found the notion of selling off a collection to help finance a film about selling off a collection to be oddly interesting somehow.

The heart and guts of that bartop arcade machine is a $30 Raspberry Pi. Why not just get that piece for the games, and bank your money from purging the parts of the collection that no longer fun you. Focus on exercise, outdoors, creative activities that don't involve "stuff." Get a cute dog, or travel. That's what I would do.

• Like 1

200 is actually a pretty small number. I counted up my PS2 collection recently and that alone was 336.

I hope the best for you, the MAME cab is an excellent idea. Sometimes I think of downsizing. But then I cradle my Samsung GX and whisper "I can't stay mad at you...." as a tear rolls down my face. I'm married to my collection.

My wife is generally supportive as long as I don't bring actual garbage and dirty stuff INTO the house.

As far as the bartop goes, the price is pretty cheap for what you're getting. Emulation is a great solution with a lot of advantages, especially if you don't want to be burdened with consoles and cabinets.

It's also interesting to note that even if you have a concise, neat, moderate/small physical collection, it can still weigh on the mind in ways you may not fully understand.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

Thanks for the surprisingly supportive and positive feedback. I'm big on "centerpieces" and I just think the bartop would be a good way of completely not giving up on the hobby and I just don't know how much I care to collect anymore... Think I'd be fine with a one-stop-shop type of deal while being able to sell off the majority of my collection and being able to put some $$$ back into savings/into potential tech to resume making short films, etc. And how games continue to escalate in prices (generalizing of course), it kinda makes the hobby defeating in attempting to add to the collection. There;s so many TG16/Saturn games for example that I'll NEVER be able to play otherwise. And as much as I love console gaming, the arcade titles are, for the most part, what I yearn to play the most...

I guess, in other words, I no longer care about having an SG-1000 or CDX, for example. I just want to play the games. No longer super into the "value" of it all.

My main question about the bartops and this new raspberry pi technology (that is SUPER new to me) is how long will it be around for? Is this, a bartop of this kind, something tha'd I'd still be able to play in five or so theoretical years from now?

Thanks again for the feedback.

• Like 2

Well, I believe the R-Pi will be around for a while, and certainly the software that's running on it. In the future, if the platform falls out of favor for any reason, you can always put in a new set of hardware.

I once built an R-Pi bartop for a buddy, and he wanted to switch it to a proper higher-performing x86 platform, it was no problem to convert the cab. This is another advantage of emulation, you can upgrade, swap, and repair much easier than original consoles and cabinets.

---

I still maintain a rather extensive Apple II collection. But a long time ago got rid of everything else. My appreciation of the hobby increases every time I eliminate doggy junk. I recently got rid of several redundant Apple /// consoles, stuff I hadn't played with in years. Still have more to go. A good thing.

When it comes time to "get rid" of stuff I always maximize the return value vs. time as much as possible.

Edited by Keatah

I'm not going to advocate selling or not selling. That's on you.

But I will say, this is a bad time to be a buyer. Prices are high, supply is low, drama is everywhere. This is now a rich man's game. I don't think that'll be the case forever, but I do think you might want to sit out the 2010s. I am. If you want to play, play. Pick up conplilation discs or emulate. It's time to do things on the cheap.

In this dark time, I've opted to put my focus onto my other passions. It seems you could do the same.

• Like 7

My main question about the bartops and this new raspberry pi technology (that is SUPER new to me) is how long will it be around for? Is this, a bartop of this kind, something tha'd I'd still be able to play in five or so theoretical years from now?

Sure, it's just an emulator on a cheap computer board, easily replaced and likely to be surpassed by updated versions of the hardware. The current Pi 3 is OK for just about everything up to 1995 that uses a standard controller. It's not doing anything that a PC from the past 10 years can do, except be very small and super cheap.

I'd be more concerned with the repairability and build quality of the "centerpiece."

• Like 1

Without trying to derail this thread, and I hate being this negative about the Pi, but the controller lag inherent on that system is a total deal breaker for me. I love my Retropie setup for the convienvence and access to obscure platforms on my tv, but games like SMB3 are unplayable (or at least frustratingly off) in emulation imho. That said, I'd advocate a RPi for the games that don't suffer too much to enjoy, but maybe rather than getting that pricey bar top, why not save half that money and do a NT Mini and a RPi? The NT Mini make a nice centerpiece and the BT 8Bitdo controllers can do double duty for both systems. That's my $0.10 anyway.

Without trying to derail this thread, and I hate being this negative about the Pi, but the controller lag inherent on that system is a total deal breaker for me. I love my Retropie setup for the convienvence and access to obscure platforms on my tv, but games like SMB3 are unplayable (or at least frustratingly off) in emulation imho. That said, I'd advocate a RPi for the games that don't suffer too much to enjoy, but maybe rather than getting that pricey bar top, why not save half that money and do a NT Mini and a RPi? The NT Mini make a nice centerpiece and the BT 8Bitdo controllers can do double duty for both systems. That's my $0.10 anyway.

Literally reading this as I move lol. How significant is the lag with Pi? Are there better emulators to pursue?

Thanks to all for the feedback; will reply more in full to all once I get a break...

*resumes boxeing Vectrex*

I hear Nintendo released this mini version of the NES... 30 games built in, just a simple HDMI to hook up, it'll save you space and time.

Hehe, sorry, seemed like a laugh was in order here! :P

Seriously tho...

You seem to have a good attitude and clear head, it'll all work out for the best however you do it, just keep doing what your doing.

If you can find the right buyers, now is REALLY good time to sell, market-wise.

I like the bar-top arcade idea. I think it'd be great for someone who wants to game as a lesser hobby, the games are geared towards short play times, and I'm a fan of how most arcade games are multi-player oriented, so not only can it be a conversation piece it can actually be enjoyed as a group if you so wish...

Most console games (of the 8-bit era and up) are really single player affairs or shoddy ports of arcade games...

While Zelda or Tomb Raider may make for conversation as well as Mortal Kombat or Alien Storm, it's nicer to finish up with, "So, you wanna try your luck with a credit?" rather than "So, you wanna watch me beat the first cavern?"

And if you're gonna play arcade games, might as well play the arcade originals...

Hell, even if you want to collect some day again in the future, you can always start again! Just cause a save file got deleted doesn't mean you can't play again some day!

*Edit: Now that I think of it... it's hard to think of a "good two player" game that DIDN'T originate in the arcade!

Edited by Torr

Whittle it down like this:

Start with the stuff you don't see yourself ever spending more than a few minutes with (games/systems). Just stick to your guns that admiring it on a shelf doesn't count as using it.

Sell them. With the proceeds, get your camera and improve your A/V setup.

Get a good low lag HDTV, and a quality upscaler. For the systems you do see yourself using regularly, seek out flash carts, soft mods, drive emulators etc...

using the saturn for an example since you mentioned it, I can go fire up Hyper Duel right now. I don't own the game

A good entertainment center can hold a dozen + systems. Infinitely customizeable http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80299874/

Once you're set with everdrives or similar. Sell the physical games that are no longer required for play. Unless there's a few you really want a physical copy.

If you find yourself not using the physical hardware much. Move on to emulation, starting with systems that have reliable emulators. Systems with meh emulation (saturn again, n64 etc...) should be the last to go.

It doesn't have to be a RPi. Any decent x86 made in the last 10 years will run retro games. There's plenty of frontends available.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 1

How significant is the lag with Pi? Are there better emulators to pursue?

There are more qualified people here to speak to the no of frames of lag / better emulator options than I-- and this is why I said I don't want to derail your thread because I'm sure there's already been tons of discussion on this point and I know it's kind of a contentious topic-- but I'll say this, trying to jump on a turtle or land on a goomba a from on high is damn near impossible if you're at a running pace in SMB3... you basically have to stop and hover over baddies to land on them accurately on the Pi. Forget speed runs. Add in a little more lag for wireless controllers, whatever your HDTV adds, and it's kinda a joke (use your tv's game mode if equipped). That said, Tetris and less timing intensive games play fine. For $60-$80, you can do a RPi3 right (better power supply, overocked, big memory card, etc... maybe add a couple bucks if you need a controller). It's still a totally worthwhile pick-up, but for that kind of system to be at the heart of a $1,000 bar top seems a shame to me.

It becomes a function of how much enjoyment you'll get for your money and effort. If I find an extra $100 in my life, I could buy one, maybe two hot NES games. Or, I could buy dozens of comic books. Or several dinners out with my wife. Or an entire series of a TV show I've been meaning to catch. Or sock it away for a future vacation. Or I could find an invention I've been sketching out.

Two games just doesn't seem like a great return anymore, not when that same hundred used to buy me 15 games not that long ago.

I stopped asking myself "Do I want these games?" Because obviously I do. But I ask myself if I want them more than the dozen other things I could do with that money.

• Like 1

An idea... there are tons of videos on youtube about game collecting, but you could do a series of videos about parting with or selling off your collection. Do it through contacts or something, not something as simple as ebay, and tape the transactions and talk about the feelings you have while you part with them. Talk about how you came into possession of the item and maybe any special memories about it, then the sale, then about it afterwards. It could be therapeutic for you, too. As a way to get over the divorce and move on. It'd definitely be different.

As far as how to keep gaming in a smaller space, emulation is a great alternative. Many consoles and old computers are emulated pretty well, and it will definitely help save some money. Maybe try out the emulation of a system before you get rid of it, though, as some systems like the Jaguar and Saturn still have kinda iffy emulation in my experience.

At any rate, good luck!

An idea... there are tons of videos on youtube about game collecting, but you could do a series of videos about parting with or selling off your collection. Do it through contacts or something, not something as simple as ebay, and tape the transactions and talk about the feelings you have while you part with them. Talk about how you came into possession of the item and maybe any special memories about it, then the sale, then about it afterwards. It could be therapeutic for you, too. As a way to get over the divorce and move on. It'd definitely be different.

yeah.... I don't see the reception to that being very promising "oh, boo hoo. He had to sell some video games. Meanwhile folks are dealing with cancer and poverty"

On the pi controller lag

With my bluetoof controllers you might as well toss it in the garbage, with my nice love them to death usb controllers it's noticable, with my 9.99$ eBay steel something controllers it's dead nuts

In fact I use those el cheapo for us arcade sticks

To the OP: I'm honestly prepared to let go of a lot of stuff in the future. I want to keep my consoles and run most of the games on flash cart. The inexpensive games I could unload enmasse at GameXChange for pennies to the dollar, and sell the higher priced ones on public forums like AtariAge and NintendoAge. Having 100+ games per system that I rarely play takes up valuable space, and I recently started double-stacking my crap. I would definitely hold onto my homebrews though. Honestly I have more fun playing homebrew than period releases. You may also sell off the systems you don't play that often or actively collect for. And this goes without saying, any duplicate systems should go. If a system breaks in the future, you could fix or replace it when the time comes...

Never understood why PI bartops cost so much since you can buy the Real aracde for around the same price, or Jammasupergun + flash cards.

Do admit the theme Cabinet marquee and overlays was done nice though

The Retrobuilt Games Porta Pi kit cost me $330, not counting the Raspberry Pi, then I spent another hundred or so on tools to help finish the wood and assemble it (the tools came in handy for future projects). I went to Adafruit.com to price check all the hardware going into the kit, and buying it all retail from multiple sources would cost nearly as much as the kit, moreso factoring in multiple shipping charges. The woodkit and mount hardware by itself was $88, then the screen was well over $100. All in all, I bought the kit and learned a great deal assembling it and configuring the Raspberry Pi computer.

So up to $500 in some cases for a well crafted, fully assembled and preloaded MAME barcade (despite the fact that the TOS forbids selling images preloaded with ROMs), ready to plug in and play, isn't the royal scam people claim it is. The people selling them don't make a lot for their labor.