IGNORED

The Obligatory "post-divorce, thinking of selling my collection" thread

as long as you're sane and clean about it most don't mind. Which is a good reminder to do what I think all collectors should try to do: specialize. Have a really good collection for a few systems instead of scattered disorganized stuff. Much more interesting and appealling.

Yes. Specializing can add class and elegance to an item/set. It doesn't overwhelm others and allows a conversation to begin as opposed to other's saying, "Look at that fucking hoard, he's a nutcase!!"

These days I focus on:

1- Apple II

2- Ti-59 calculator, TRS-80 Pocket Computer 1, 2, and 4.

3- Classic 486 DX/2-50 & Pentium III @ 1.5GHz

..and I just got rid of half the Apple /// stuff I had laying around. Just 4 or 5 more systems to sell and I'm done for good with it!

And also with non-game keepsakes I realized that often a photo, drawing or scrap of the item is enough to remember those times by even better than a box full of full-size items I never see.

Yup. But it works for games too. HQ box scans are a good thing as are book and manual scans.

I think I may need to specialize a bit. I get a bug in the butt about wanting something I once had and accidents of luck happen and they pop back into my life. I then support them a bit, have a little fun, then what I had been using creeps back up or something new and the dust bunny not OK ranch is re-formed.

I then sit on stuff and feel a bit dirty about wasting money on it, but then also realize I could at worst just break even to dump it but I waffle. Sounds terrible eh? :P Last Dec a Dreamcast, then 2-3mo ago a really nice black Wii. I haven't fired up the DC in so long the rechargeable battery I installed into it with its own replaceable coin dock slot is definitely dead right now. The Wii I went on vacation over a week, left it a bit, but now I got Guitar Hero 3 to mess with a little but that's about it. Yet now I have a NGPC again as of weeks ago too I am using, far easier being handheld, and my Gameboy which never went anywhere that's on my desk. Yet I still have that new Switch I do use semi-regularly and my 3DS when something pops up I care about.

It's too much, and I'm being craven about pulling the trigger I think. I think I need to back off and just pick 1 console(Switch), 1 laptop, and my handhelds to actively support on a overall smaller scale. At worst throw the DC or the Wii to the wolves. I know this probably sounds familiar to a few but it's like you just don't know what to do and don't want to do it, but the TIME isn't there to appreciate it anymore.

Thanks for all the feedback. I believe I have *finally* made the decision to do a great "purge" of my collection (everything I think up to PS1 era) and get an all-in-one eye fetching bartop for the living room. i love my apartment but it is small and I just have too many possessions/collectables that are just doing that -- collecting dust. Plus, I could really use the money towards resuming my film making/creative expressions which, in all honesty, bring me the MOST happiness.

I suppose I'll start soon going through the painstaking task of listing my console/accessory/and game collection on here (among a few FB user groups) for sale soon. (Any recommendations on listing/pricing such a relatively extensive list?) I own stuff all the way from the 2600 to the XBOX One.

Thanks again to those that have shared their thoughts/opinions and life experiences during this fairly difficult time in my life. I am ready to move on... :)

Thank you for reading,

Michael

Edited by TaskenLander
  • Like 1

yes a great purge let the flames spread wide and far and leave nothing in their wake

Fire is not allowed. Gotta sell that crap or at least donate it somewhere so it goes to good home.

But if the OP ultimately decides that a bonfire is the only possible way to rid himself of the loot, at least make a video of it and upload it to youtube. Then all the fanboys can grab their pitch forks... :evil:

• Like 1

I suppose I'll start soon going through the painstaking task of listing my console/accessory/and game collection on here (among a few FB user groups) for sale soon. (Any recommendations on listing/pricing such a relatively extensive list?) I own stuff all the way from the 2600 to the XBOX One.

OK for this I would hate to say it but an Excel spreadsheet would be good. If you use Nintendoage or Sega Age or one of those and have items already uploaded into the lists there pull that one. If not just do a sheet with the system, name of game, Cart,Instruction,Box. you can add pricing if you want but frankly anyone can look up prices. Just be aware of what you have and maybe price higher end stuff but let the offers flow and promote bundles.

That would be my advice. That also reminds me I need to update my lists.....lists mean too many games which means purge time again ha ha.

Edited by Professor Gull

Since I'm seeing more and more posts like this thread, selling and purging, downsizing and lightening up with the hobby overall; I wonder how it will affect future prices and stuff? And it seems the trend is gaining some momentum.

Personally I started slowing with collecting as it was no longer fun. I can't find anything out "in the wild" as it seems like others are scrounging up what's available or thrift stores are selling most of their gaming items online. When I did find stuff, it was usually going for collector prices beyond what I was willing to pay.

The second reason is I really don't have time anymore. I knew my new marriage to a woman with a lot of kids would take up more time, but when we allow game time I usually have some little one that wants attention. My kids offer the oportunity to play from time to time, but the hands are busy with other things. Also they don't get much game time as they get addicted quickly and with competition on who gets to play what, it can devolve into a whine fest rather swiftly. I have banned playing Rayman:Legends as there were shouting matches when they couldn't cooperate.

I could play at work, I typically have to work through a lunch break, so the Vita and 3DS in my drawer don't get much time in the light. I just have time to read and type when I visit the bathroom or am waiting for software to install.

Lastly, my interests are changing as I get older. I've been getting back into pen and paper RPGs and got my kids interested in them as well. I find writing a lot more fulfilling these days compared to playing a video game. Plus I've got all my favorite games emulated so when I get the itch, gaming is available. I don't have to lug a system out of the basement, which is already stuffed with items for a total of fourteen people in the house.

• Like 4

Hear hear...that's for certain it's really not fun anymore. I've made it a side job of when I decide to hit up flea markets, used item shops, thrifts, and community garage sale events. It got too depressing or infuriating(some douche says well on ebay it gets...) depending on the situation. I'm at a point now I have to look for other goods and just do it for the getting outside and exercise or I'd hate it. To me someone publicly selling goods says 'ebay' to me, I take it the same as a four letter word now. 'Well I'll sell it for, because on ebay' = 'Well you pay full price f*ck you' basically. Time I can make for it, so I do hit places up and if I find things I'm very happy, but it's spread out, so it's mostly a happy rush that lasts for a bit but then it's gone and you just roll with it.

Like you above, my time is limited, so I need to limit the systems. Reduction in GB family platforms games is up now. Dreamcast is pulled and to be photographed is next. Then I must contemplate the Wii's fate. After that...can't say. I've got some nice handhelds from the late 70s early 80s, tabletops too. Less is more, this needs to happen.

I do like that set it on fire option to infuriate collectards. They get really mean and nasty like you cut their family deep, but that's also about as dumb as cashing out a $100 bill and lighting it on fire for fun on camera. A waste of money.

I think I mentioned that $15 PS2 Slim I found. I finally got a $2 game for it yesterday and tried it out. Dead internal battery (no surprise there) but it was also making an odd plastic slipping/clicking yet it ran games and movies fine. I gave it a few shots on top with the hand, no good, flipped it over edge to the floor, whacked it a few more times, and it stopped. Go figure. ;) I'm storing it for now. Kind of thinking maybe it would make a nice test bed if I ever found some PS2/PS1 games worth trying a little or just selling to make a few bucks. I'm worried it would click again after shipping. :\

• Like 1

I wonder if realizing becoming a completist is a pain in the ass and has anything to do with deciding not to collect anymore. Being a completist means you have to dilute your collection and run it thin with all kinds of junk and filler material. That can't possibly be fun, can it?

Completist collection are like 90% filler and 10% fun. Not to mention the cost and time.

• Like 3

I wonder if realizing becoming a completist is a pain in the ass and has anything to do with deciding not to collect anymore. Being a completist means you have to dilute your collection and run it thin with all kinds of junk and filler material. That can't possibly be fun, can it?

Completist collection are like 90% filler and 10% fun. Not to mention the cost and time.

Ah so true. Just like last year I was snagging up everything that just caught my eye. Now I buy with more reserve and if I don't like it back into the wild it goes.

I don't quite understand the needs to collect like ever Madden ever or every version of Nintendo Dogs. Keep it to what you want to play and let the collectards get their full shelves of crappy sports titles and waste filler.

Now what should I do with the reaming 4 broken Sega Saturn's I have?

On a side note of burning things I did do a very mean thing to some Magic collectors I played with one night. Since I am an old school player ( like Beta was when I started buying). I told these new guys lets play for keeps top 5 cards you get to keep for your collection but we have to play "Hardcore rules".

"Hardcore rules" from my day was when something says destroy you literally destroy the card and I explained it to them and then showed them the deck I would play with, Lots on neat old cards from Legends,Arabian,Antiquities, 4th edition. They were excited to get some of the deck and I played one player. Note they did not see all the cards in my deck that said destroy heh so I was tearing up cards left and right and lost a few of mine as well but it was fun to watch them scream and then even if I lost something "valuable" I said "Nope you have to tear it up thats the rules."

Yeah I don't have any more magic cards but that was a fun time getting rid of some of them.

Edited by Professor Gull
  • Like 1

Being a shelf queen completionist type person does run most people ragged. I've been online for over 22 years and between various forums around gaming, originally ownership and emulation, to even gamefaqs, NA, here, DP, RB...I've seen one sob story after another. Someone gets jacked up and gets a moronic case of Pokemon-itis where you gotta catch em all. Once you realize that ALL really does mean every scrap of cardboard, paper, baggy, foam, oddball inserts, dust jackets, and the rest -- plus in nice to excellent shape it gets tedious, tiring, downright annoying, draining, and damned expensive especially since old Nintendo has turned into a sharks with frickin laser beams ugly. It causes a hell of a lot of burnout, especially those who have to try and do it fast in months or a year or two, not over 5 years, decade, plus... All you do is end up with a crap ton of god awful or just mediocre boring filler for games, the paper just making more of a costly annoying sticking point and you'll eventually crack unless you're one of those un-diagnosed types who live off the S&M side of collecting as much pain will be involved.

• Like 2

I think that's something late-entry retro fans struggle with on occasion- those of us with large, diverse libraries with rare titles? We aren't deep-pocketed obsessives running around dropping hundreds on old games. Most of us don't buy that many old games. We buy new games... and we keep them. For the next couple decades. A great retro collection happens over time.

• Like 4

Got that right. Even after selling most my stuff off down to the core games I bought or was gifted in the 80s and 90s, I still have around 110 NES+SNES games and a good many are those that cause the crazies to drool and get stupid with their wallets, more so because I kept most my manuals/maps too. They'd see what I have and flip out and want it too, and I've just had them all along. Better would have been a post-generational buy in the latter 90s when no one wanted even the rare stuff more or less for more than $20-50 a pop. That ship sailed a good 8+ years ago now with the so called gonna burst bubble, that titanium bubble that just won't crack.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I've decide (for now at least) not to sell *any* of my retro gaming collection... In the end, I've just put too much time and effort into putting together this collection and feel pretty content with it (as in I no longer feel the compulsion to constantly add to it every paycheck, etc). Plus I kinda really like it (the setup) where it is now and the kick-ass pair of super powerful Logitech speakers accompanied with a thunderous subwoofer I've added to it REALLY adds an awesome/booming extra layer to all my old games and I love the way the bullet hits sound through it (the speakers) during games like GoldenEye, etc.

I'm just going to curb all future frivolous spending and slowly work towards getting a decent editing computer and camera, etc. It'll happen in time. I've also adjusted pretty well to living alone and truly love my new place and enjoy, for example, not having to worry about anyone critiquing my decorating --- if I wanna put a giant T-Rex head above the livingroom TV; f**k it! I'm gonna do it lol!

Thanks again to everyone again for the feedback and personal accounts/story-sharing about having gone through similar situations (divorce and collection down-sizing). It really made this transition/adjustment a whole lot easier. :)

Best,

Mike

• Like 2

If you haven't already- start keeping tabs on what you're actually playing. That way, if you want to revisit this idea in 6 months or so, you can see what's getting use and what's gathering dust. Then you could try some slow-burn techniques, like putting things in a box in the closet/under a table... if you don't remember or miss what's in it after a few months, sell it.

The slow burn is a good concept. I had mentioned I was offing some stuff, and well I pulled my Dreamcast stuff weeks ago and disconnected it, put it aside. Weeks later I took pictures and got them tidied up and finally yesterday put them on the chopping block on a couple gaming forums. I don't regret it, and I know that because I gave it time to stew.

I'd still think of letting go of some of your stuff but you'll have to get honest with yourself first and ask are you a shelf queen or do you really use all that stuff?

Glad to hear you're doing well. I believe that divorce can be a very healthy thing, so long as you don't make a habit out of it.

I've also adjusted pretty well to living alone and truly love my new place and enjoy, for example, not having to worry about anyone critiquing my decorating --- if I wanna put a giant T-Rex head above the livingroom TV; f**k it! I'm gonna do it lol!

LOL, that sounds like a very effective form of birth control. :P

But not in a bad way. If someone isn't interested in you as you, that's just as well, might as well rule them out up front.

:thumbsup: to being selective in all things!

Hah birth control, nice one. True though, unless the girl is into that stuff as well or has a high level of tolerance for it. Just be sure it doesn't end up being the 40year old virgin test either. :D

My big room I have with all my goodies, most of this wouldn't be too happily displayed outside of this room other than some of the antiques I would imagine.

--- if I wanna put a giant T-Rex head above the livingroom TV; f**k it! I'm gonna do it lol!

Now I've got this burning desire to have a giant T-Rex in my living room, or better yet my front yard! :grin:

Now all I need is bailing wire for the frame, tons of Elmers and newsprint to make paper machet skin, Plaster of Paris, belt sanders, paint, etc etc, and make my own 6-foot T-Rex... :evil: