IGNORED

The Obligatory "post-divorce, thinking of selling my collection" thread

• 8 months later...

*Update:

I've been living in my apartment for almost a year now, pretty "OK" with how my life is now, but honestly STILL haven't touched any of my retro collection since living here as it all just reminds me about how much my game collecting addiction helped lead to the demise of my marriage, etc and SO much of this stuff reminds me of my stepson and how we would spend hours on the weekends in my game room playing this stuff and how much I wanted to pass it down to him one day... :-\

I've decided to FINALLY get back into filmmaking and recently bought/built a REALLY sweet editing PC! Now, I'm looking to save up and purchase a nice camera, etc. I'm finally ready to start letting go/selling my collection, my only problem now is to decide to completely part with EVERYTHING and just get a wii or a bartop or SNES classic loaded with a bunch of ROMS or do I hang on to the few games and systems I *know* I can't "live without" playing (I.E. Goldeneye 64, the classic TMNT games, etc)?

I'm just not sure if its sensible to hang on to a system just to play a handful (four or so) carts on it or should I finally just commit to the DARKSIDE and go with emulation??

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback,

Michael

Edited by TaskenLander

Without writing a big litany on the topic.. You can go the everdrive route. Everdrive (to me) is a generic term for flash memory solutions. Just about every system has them.

You may want to collect, keep, and enjoy 1 or 2 childhood systems and some number of carts for them. Then use Everdrives and emulation to pick up the rest and fill in the blanks. It's what I did with the Apple II, kept all my childhood stuff, and emulate the machines I have no room for.

My goal is to focus on 1 system and yet still enjoy the best of what others have to offer.

Edited by Keatah

I'm just not sure if its sensible to hang on to a system just to play a handful (four or so) carts on it or should I finally just commit to the DARKSIDE and go with emulation??

It's not imo. it's not even worth buying a flashcart for systems like that, get the ball moving on your filmmaking and invest that money into a decent PC/camera instead.

• Like 1

Most primary systems from the 8bit generation forward (Nintendo, Sega, NEC, SNK) have their own kits. In the case of those that do not, you have android boxes/emulators on tablets/microconsoles or even those Pi boxes to get the job done if you're not hypersensitive about originality. Since you think you may want to keep a few things. kits would be best as you can use the few memorable friendly games you love enough to keep around. The reference to stone age gamer isn't a bad one, they have most of what is out there. There are secondary sources that make stuff too aside from all the krikzz made stuff SAG has such as RetroHQ that did the NGPC and Jaguar kits. There's also Terraonion with the NeoSD (MVS/AES Neo Geo) and the SSS3 (PC ENgine/TG hucard+CD) kit device too. There are other one offs out there too but that's up to you to dig.

First of all, I'm glad you're doing well. I wasn't here when this thread was active originally, but I know how it hurts so many people. I'm glad to see you're moving on with your live, though. That's what's healthy.

Now about the games. A RetroPi is OK. I just sold one on eBay with a pre-loaded card and a controller. It just wasn't my thing...I really love real hardware, and as Flojomojo suggested, I think Everdrives and real hardware are the best. For systems like the PC Engine DUO and Sega CD where the hardware is just SOOOOO expensive, emulation is best, but for cart-based systems and cheaper optical systems I love real hardware.

But really, my best advice is to keep the systems you'll play and sell the entirety of the rest. Maybe paring back without unloading all of it will be enough to take away the guilt (and really, guilt isn't healthy...you just need to forgive yourself for whatever you perceive to be your part). In a lot of cases you won't make a ton by selling games and then buying the everdrive. Just figure out what system(s) is(are) important to you, and focus on them. For a brief period I had like a dozen consoles, but I cut wayyyy back on that. Now I have just the Genesis/Saturn/Dreamcast and SNES, and I'm very happy. And thanks to retro gaming being a seller's market, you'll probably make a lot of what it's going to take to buy that camera.

The Dreamcast plays CD-Rs and the Saturn has a boot cart, so (sorry game collector purists) I'm going to advocate burning ISOs for any game that's 15 years old or more. Same with the Mega Everdrive and SD2SNES. Outside of getting controllers in the shape I want I'm basically done buying and collecting retro stuff.

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1

I'm now thinkin' maybe a raspberry pi retro console that I can easily hook up to *any* HDTV may just be the way to go... Does anyone sell them loaded w/ roms or is it literally so easy I could just figure it out? Thanks.

Depending how much you're getting into emulation, you might want to get a tiny NUC to complement the R-Pi, it take up no more space than a paperback book. This will enable you to enjoy full-featured emulators like Stella, WinUAE, Vice, AppleWin, Higan, Altirra, and more! You'll get awesome file management and mondo-sized storage capabilities. And you'll have the ability to run all the tools needed (and more) to whip your emulation stuff into shape.

Edited by Keatah

I got rid of my classic game collection years ago, with the exception of an Amiga 1200. I consolidated it down to two emulation solutions...a MAME cabinet for playing arcade games with actual arcade controls and an Intel NUC running linux and Emulationstation for all of my console needs. I use a couple of 8bitdo SF30 Pro Controllers with the NUC and they work like a charm. I honestly don't miss the clutter.

Edited by ToddUGA
  • Like 2

I got rid of my classic game collection years ago, with the exception of an Amiga 1200. I consolidated it down to two emulation solutions...a MAME cabinet for playing arcade games with actual arcade controls and an Intel NUC running linux and Emulationstation for all of my console needs. I use a couple of 8bitdo SF30 Pro Controllers with the NUC and they work like a charm. I honestly don't miss the clutter.

I worry that my 'hobby' is just an obsession. I have 15 systems and 'need' more. At what point though does it become just an obsession? I have to say a lot of the time I don't even enjoy the stuff I am doing! I find it stressful lol.

I have a decent excuse that I share this passion with young students where I have setup a retro game group but without that I really have no excuse!

Sent from my Harrier from EE using Tapatalk

• Like 1

^ This sounds like the route I'd most likely wanna go! (Eventual MAME cabinet for arcade games and a really kick-ass emulation system for everything else)

What's the main advance (in n00b speak) of getting an intel NUC for this sort of thing? And didn't they once make lil' retro or raspberry pie systems that look like mini retro consoles?

Please and thank you.

^ This sounds like the route I'd most likely wanna go! (Eventual MAME cabinet for arcade games and a really kick-ass emulation system for everything else)

What's the main advance (in n00b speak) of getting an intel NUC for this sort of thing? And didn't they once make lil' retro or raspberry pie systems that look like mini retro consoles?

Please and thank you.

I had one laying around not being used so it seemed like a good candidate. The one thing I do like about having a NUC is it is powerful enough to run newer systems that something like a Raspberry Pi might have issues running.

I had one laying around not being used so it seemed like a good candidate. The one thing I do like about having a NUC is it is powerful enough to run newer systems that something like a Raspberry Pi might have issues running.

The NUC will give you plenty of storage space, and all the tools to manage it and work with the emulators themselves. A bonus is you don't have to fart around with Linux either.

Edited by Keatah