IGNORED

Joystick Troubles

polyex

Using an Odyssey/2 with pluggable joysticks (factory) . The second player joystick port always acts as if the player is moving left, even if a joystick is not plugged in. I have tried plugging in a known working joystick but it makes no difference. I also checked to see if that pin for left (pin3) is grounded and it is not. I removed all the RF shields so I can access anything on the board. I am not an EE, but I can follow directions well :-)

Any suggestions?

Edited by polyex

Try checking continuity from the jumpers behind that pin all the way back to the control chip which I think is IC8. If nothing is amiss then inspect the chip itself as that could be the culprit.

I have continuity back to IC8. I ordered a replacement.

Edited by polyex

I desoldered both old chips and replaced them with a socketed Ti SN74LS365AN, which is supposed to be the equivalent chip. An odd thing happens when I start Armored Encounter. Both tanks fire once at the start of the game. I don't remember it starting like this. After that, everything is fine, the tanks move about and fire normally. Could have put in the wrong chip or something else? I cut the old chip legs getting them out.

I think I wound up modding my Odyssey2 so it could use standard Atari and Sega joysticks. I mean, look, the Ody2 sticks are fine for what they are, but I wanted to use the Sega Arcade Pad instead, and they're just not compatible by default. Fortunately, it's not difficult... you just install new DB-9s and rewire them to Atari specs. Straight wire to wire stuff; no need for high/low voltage or any of that crap.

I think I wound up modding my Odyssey2 so it could use standard Atari and Sega joysticks. I mean, look, the Ody2 sticks are fine for what they are, but I wanted to use the Sega Arcade Pad instead, and they're just not compatible by default. Fortunately, it's not difficult... you just install new DB-9s and rewire them to Atari specs. Straight wire to wire stuff; no need for high/low voltage or any of that crap.

Mine already had the external joysticks.