IGNORED

D2K ARCADE SPECIAL EDITION ROM now available!

I would encourage everyone who has bought the ROM to state the reasons for doing so. (Because you only play games under emulation; you've bought the physical copy but also would like to play the game under emulation: you have a flash cart and never buy complete-in-box anyway, etc.)
This might help to convince Tim that ROM sales are not going to eat into his complete-in-box sales in any way, especially after a year of exclusive complete in box sales only.

I buy ROM's because I only have emulation via my computer and raspberry pi. If the ROM will not work in emulation, I assume it will only work on an LTO Flash Cart? I have never heard of an instance where the ROM that was made will not work in emulation. Was this by coincidence or was it planned this way?

I will only share my own personal experience in selling games. I know ZERO about anyone else's behind the scenes selling/publishing.

After about a month to 6 weeks of selling a new release, sales of said game are maybe 1 or 2 a month....if that. That's including ebay sales. In my own experience, once the initial sales rush is over, its very slow going. That is all.

This is very similar to my experience. When I released the Christmas Carol ROM for its first Christmas Championship, the game had already been in the market for three months and sales where down to a trickle. I believe it had already sold 200 units (or at least it did by that December).

There was some notion that the free ROM was eating away at sales, but after the initial rush during the first few weeks the volume went down considerably already, so it was not easy to tell.

We do know that in a couple of years more the game would sell 100 more units -- in spite of the game ROM remaining free, being highly advertised, and made available with a built-in emulator "turn-key" package for Windows and Mac. In fact, even now there's been some suggestions of residual demand; that when sales stopped abruptly at 300 units, they could still have gone for another 50 to 150 in the long tail end.

Yet, the ROM is still available for free.

• Like 2

I buy ROM's because I only have emulation via my computer and raspberry pi. If the ROM will not work in emulation, I assume it will only work on an LTO Flash Cart? I have never heard of an instance where the ROM that was made will not work in emulation. Was this by coincidence or was it planned this way?

The rom image might be programmed to use cartridge hardware features like saving high scores; or as a form of copy protection. A software emulator or the LTO Flash would have to emulate those hardware features. So depending on what cartridge tech is used it may not work on an LTO Flash, Elektronite posted a Minehunter rom that had some cartridge hardware requirements; that cartridge hardware feature might be emulated in jzintv and LTO Flash but not other emulators or flash cartridges. If it's a cartridge feature like "hardware acceleration" ie. math routines; that might be a problem as it can't be easily disabled.

I understand what it's for, but it's not really a donation, then, is it? Donations are supposed to be voluntary. If it's a mandatory cost, then it's a sale. Why not call it what it is?

You are correct. Sometimes the wording is just used to get around Peypal fees. Those fees are for buyer protection. In some cases if you want the buyer protection, you can just ask the seller to add the Peypal fees,

mr_me is right about what's needed for the ROM to work in an emulator. If a program is written to use specific hardware capabilities, then when the ROM is run in an emulator, the emulator needs to provide what the program expects.

Intellivoice games require emulation of Intellivoice to run properly. ECS games require correct emulation of the ECS. So this is nothing new. OK, it's "new" in that the newer cartridge boards use technology developed after 1983. ;)

If the ROM uses flash storage, extra RAM, bank switching, or accelerator instructions provided by a 'new-generation' cartridge board, then an emulator must emulate those features correctly, too.

I'm certain that jzIntv emulates the features on 'JLP' boards like flash storage, extra RAM, et. al. that this game may be using. Space Patrol uses a lot of the extra features of JLP boards and runs fine in jzIntv, too. The LTO Flash! has full support for all the JLP features, so the ROM will work fine there.

The places where it probably will NOT work would be the Intellicart! or CuttleCart 3 - unless we build a time machine or get firmware upgrades for them. I'm partial to the time machine myself. Similarly, emulators that are not being maintained to support the latest advances in the different cartridge boards out there won't correctly execute newer games [EDIT: that use features of the new boards], either. If they're open-source, have at it! If not, then you're at the mercy of the developer of your favorite emulator to get the necessary specification data or reference materials to incorporate the new hardware features.

... or the "future" Hive multicart. Similarly future games that use Hive specific cartridge hardware features won't work on an LTO Flash. And then there is the Opcode "IntelliXpander". Space Patrol should be okay; it runs in Nostalgia.

Hi all,

I'm posting this message to announce that D2K SPECIAL EDITION ROM sales have been suspended. Please do not send donations for the purposes of obtaining a ROM, if you do your donation will be refunded and no ROM will be sent to you. If you make a donation specifically as just a donation, make a special note that that's the case and it will be greatly appreciated I assure you.

Tim and I have reached an agreement regarding intellectual properties and physical release rights. He has been immensely helpful and understanding, not to mention generous. I'm very grateful. We are going to work towards selling the remaining stock of D2KSE physical copies, after which ROM sales can be resumed.

So in short, no ROM sales until after all copies of D2KSE physical edition have been sold. If you have not bought a copy, your purchase would be greatly appreciated. If you know a friend that might be interested, by all means please spread the word!

My apologies to anyone I have inconvenienced.

Thanks again, Carl
  • Like 2

Hi all,
I'm posting this message to announce that D2K SPECIAL EDITION ROM sales have been suspended. Please do not send donations for the purposes of obtaining a ROM, if you do your donation will be refunded and no ROM will be sent to you. If you make a donation specifically as just a donation, make a special note that that's the case and it will be greatly appreciated I assure you.
Tim and I have reached an agreement regarding intellectual properties and physical release rights. He has been immensely helpful and understanding, not to mention generous. I'm very grateful. We are going to work towards selling the remaining stock of D2KSE physical copies, after which ROM sales can be resumed.
So in short, no ROM sales until after all copies of D2KSE physical edition have been sold. If you have not bought a copy, your purchase would be greatly appreciated. If you know a friend that might be interested, by all means please spread the word!
My apologies to anyone I have inconvenienced.
Thanks again, Carl

Thank you, Carl.

Maybe if you lowered the price a bit, the rest of the physical copies would sell....just saying...

The price is set where it is because there will only be 200 physical copies ever made. That is one of the reasons we called it a special edition. There are some left, but with Carl's help, I believe we can sell out in the next few months.

Thank you for your support everyone!

I find threads of private disputes made public uncomfortable and unnecessary. Sad these disagreements can't be handled off the board. Best of luck to all parties.

I find threads of private disputes made public uncomfortable and unnecessary. Sad these disagreements can't be handled off the board. Best of luck to all parties.

True enough....Rev and I do talk about our sex lives waaaaay too much on here. Noted. :)

Not to worry. Cmart's and Rev's disputes always end in a happy ending... :o

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

How many "Boards does the The D2K Special Edition ROM" have? I purchased DK Arcde2 over a year ago so is it different then the The "D2K Special Edition ROM"?

I also purchased DK Arcade.

I believe that it is the same number of boards, but two have been swapped for different ones which are much more faithful to the DKII mame hack. D2KSE also contains D2K.