IGNORED

Hard Head by Activision for Atari 2600

panamajoe

Hi Guys

well it ended at £5100 and went to a buyer in Poland who paid immediately.. not sure if I will take a cheap flight over to hand deliver or ship it Fed-Ex tracked & insured etc... but at least the guy was genuine and paid straight away :)

For a high-value item like this, you should definitely consider an in-person swap of money for item. Shipment can be lost or tracking no good, and Paypal can be reversed and you have little recourse.

• Like 1

For a high-value item like this, you should definitely consider an in-person swap of money for item. Shipment can be lost or tracking no good, and Paypal can be reversed and you have little recourse.

@Nic Hills Agreed. Buy a Go-Pro to wear for when you deliver it by hand. I really wouldn't put ANYTHING past buyers, even after a hand to hand swap. eBay and credit card companies favor buyers. And buyers are occasionally unscrupulous. Being a seasoned seller, you are probably familiar.

Poland is probably not the most reliable or trustworthy postal system.

Edited by ianoid

• 4 weeks later...

Doubtful. This ones lost to the sands of time. I mean common, a collector in Poland? Not exactly a mainstream country in Europe. Not to mention he massively overpaid. It's priced out of range of any possible community controlled release. But I ain't losing any sleep over this one. 1) we already have it. 2) another one will turn up soon now. (And NTSC version)

Doubtful. This ones lost to the sands of time. I mean common, a collector in Poland? Not exactly a mainstream country in Europe. Not to mention he massively overpaid. It's priced out of range of any possible community controlled release. But I ain't losing any sleep over this one. 1) we already have it. 2) another one will turn up soon now. (And NTSC version)

What exactly should a "mainstream country" be? Poland has a strong Atari scene and i for example have sold my Jaguar cart of Orions demos for quite a decent amount to - wait for it - Poland....

Other then the excellent HAS (home arcade Supergun) designed & sold by Michael, I can't think of anyone I know personally who is a hardcore gamer / collector who resides in Poland.

Don't misinterpret my words, I have nothing against the country or its people. I wasn't ragging on it in that capacity. Rather just pointing out that it is not a country you would think of when it comes to large video game communities.

And yes, he overpaid my friend. In the hierarchy of Protos, this one resided in a much lower neighborhood then its price reflected.

Other then the excellent HAS (home arcade Supergun) designed & sold by Michael, I can't think of anyone I know personally who is a hardcore gamer / collector who resides in Poland.

You're kidding right? Poland has a HUGE Atari 8-bit scene.

? Guys...it's like a freakin' moratorium in here...

In Activisions (and Atari's) final days of developing software for the 2600, with a game like say, Ghostbusters 2, the systems viability (potential sales) in the US was below that of the international market, whereby making it more probable that PAL development of games was further along and more the focus then NTSC.

This game is from 1983. It CRYSTAL CLEARLY predates the glory days of Activisions software development; especially its end of days era. So to assume that this PAL cart was the only "finished" version of the game is NONSENSICAL. An exact or more likely even MORE complete NTSC version exists out there.

J. H. C. I've never seen such a pathetic display of a pity party in my life around this place, and over what?! A game we already have!

? Guys...it's like a freakin' moratorium in here...

In Activisions (and Atari's) final days of developing software for the 2600, with a game like say, Ghostbusters 2, the systems viability (potential sales) in the US was below that of the international market, whereby making it more probable that PAL development of games was further along and more the focus then NTSC.

This game is from 1983. It CRYSTAL CLEARLY predates the glory days of Activisions software development; especially its end of days era. So to assume that this PAL cart was the only "finished" version of the game is NONSENSICAL. An exact or more likely even MORE complete NTSC version exists out there.

J. H. C. I've never seen such a pathetic display of a pity party in my life around this place, and over what?! A game we already have!

Dude, lay off the hard drugs. And the caps lock key. :)

Activision was a US based development house. They did all their game development in the US. They wouldn't bother with a PAL conversion until after the NTSC version was finished. It's simple logic. That PAL version is 99% most likely the final version of the game (there could always be an exception).

The real question is why didn't they release it? It was finished and the date wasn't too late. Maybe it didn't playtest well or something?

• Like 2

Exception being an unfinished port from NTSC to PAL. But it means there is a final NTSC version for sure.

I guess there could be an unfinished port, but didn't they just adjust the colors and add a few scanlines? Thats something you generally knock out in a few days.

I guess there could be an unfinished port, but didn't they just adjust the colors and add a few scanlines? Thats something you generally knock out in a few days.

Yep, unless there was some kind of marketing genius at work (I have come across them before), who said "Wouldn't it be cool to add XYZ to the game, now that we have time to make the port?".

"Hey, we can just change the theme to Asterix, they don't know Taz!"

• Like 1

I think the focus should turn to finding out who programmed it - asking the Activision programmers from back in the day that are still reachable is a great place to start.

Excactly.

Now we know the title, perhaps one of the programmers can tell us who programmed it.

8)

• Like 2

Excactly.

Now we know the title, perhaps one of the programmers can tell us who programmed it.

8)

I wonder if it was one of the outside contractors doing games for Activision in the later years like Rex Bradford or Charlie Heath? I doubt it's one of the core people like David Crane.

• 1 month later...

It's my opinion that I believe the title came from an outside source. One that was trying to impress the Activision team in effort to bring he / she on-board. I spoke with and showed several of the original 2600 team members pics of the game and non of them could recall seeing the title at all. This includes Dave C.

• Like 1