IGNORED

Your C64 Top 5 games?

Excluding any Arcade ports, here are some of my favs, 5 provided 3 times for emphasis, that I could think of first, to play from the original retail line:

-Action Biker
-Airwolf
-Archon
-Aztec Challenge
-BC II - Grog's Revenge
-Boulder Dash II
-Bruce Lee
-Conan
-Defender of the Crown
-Friday the 13th
-G.I. Joe
-Pitstop II
-Rambo - First Blood Part II
-Space Taxi
-Super Pipeline

Some of my fav Arcade ports from the original retail line that I immediately thought of, 5 provided twice:

-Crystal Castles (Thundervision)
-Donkey Kong (Ocean)
-Gyruss
-Hunchback
-Mr. Do!
-Mr. Do's Castle
-Ms. Pac-Man
-Paperboy
-Satan's Hollow
-Wizard of Wor

Here are my five fav homebrews that I initially recall:

-Bear Essentials, The
-Berzerk Redux
-Bruce Lee II
-Donkey Kong Jr.
-Fort Django

Checking my saved listing, in total, I've flagged 440 C64 games that make up my favs/classic list (via GameBase64). Scanning the list, arguably, ~2-3 dozen titles could be removed; nonetheless, there are still over 400 titles that would always make the cut for me.

So many good C64 games but the ones I played the most/enjoyed the most were:

1) Pirates!

2) Wasteland

3) Pool of Radiance

4) PSI-5 Trading Company

5) Airborne Ranger

In terms of going back and playing the RPGs again, I just go done playing Pool of Radiance for what must be the umpteenth time. Now on it's sequel. Wasteland I dip into occasionally.

Edited by Arnuphis

"Top of my head" I "forgot" about Space Taxi, Castle Wolfenstein, etc. All super fun. I definitely loved the games with speech just a bit more than many of the games without it.

Ah, yes, Castle Wolfenstein - I used to play it together with a buddy, one of us would steer the guy around with the joystick and the other would use the keyboard to shoot, open chests etc. I remember how we almost shat our pants the first time an SS-trooper charged into the room yelling at us - fun times :)

See, 5 is impossible. "Top of my head" I "forgot" about Space Taxi, Castle Wolfenstein, etc. All super fun. I definitely loved the games with speech just a bit more than many of the games without it.

I loved Impossible Mission too - in fact, it was the first game I bought when I got a disk drive (it was between that and Bruce Lee!) - but I was never able to beat it, so it doesn't stay in my personal top 5.

To be honest I never completed it either before the internet days, mainly because I didn't know how to obtain additional snoozes in those coderooms with the musical checkerboards on the wall. These were vital though as I had the NTSC-version of the game which would bug on my PAL C64 and make my die for no reason if I didn't freeze the robots right after entering certain rooms. Despite that bug I still think it's an excellently designed game with a good mix of action and puzzle elements and enough randomness to give it some replay value.

When we re-acquired a C64 in the early 90's, Wolfenstein was a game I often played a lot. Another great example of speech in a video game. The only thing that bugged me was how long it took to search for items in boxes or however else you found items.

In case you didn't know it already: you can shoot at those boxes to speed things up. Just be careful not to pour too many bullets into chests full of grenades or you may blow up the entire castle :)

I haven't got to enjoy my C64 as much as I would like but now I am single again... :D

Having said that I haven't experienced it much, I'm surprised there hasn't been any love for Maniac Mansion. The little I've played of that was impressive and im sure to get into it soon. I have played Super Breadbox a bit which is great. I also can kind of give the thumbs up for Castle Wolfenstein which I DID actually play back in the day, only on apple IIe.

I haven't got to enjoy my C64 as much as I would like but now I am single again... :D

Having said that I haven't experienced it much, I'm surprised there hasn't been any love for Maniac Mansion. The little I've played of that was impressive and im sure to get into it soon. I have played Super Breadbox a bit which is great. I also can kind of give the thumbs up for Castle Wolfenstein which I DID actually play back in the day, only on apple IIe.

I absolutely love Maniac Mansion, but the first version I played it on was the NES. I know the script and some graphics had to get cut from the original version, but I still really love it. I can't recall what version of Maniac Mansion was hidden in Day of the Tentacle but I have played and completed that as well.

Ah, yes, Castle Wolfenstein - I used to play it together with a buddy, one of us would steer the guy around with the joystick and the other would use the keyboard to shoot, open chests etc. I remember how we almost shat our pants the first time an SS-trooper charged into the room yelling at us - fun times :)

To be honest I never completed it either before the internet days, mainly because I didn't know how to obtain additional snoozes in those coderooms with the musical checkerboards on the wall. These were vital though as I had the NTSC-version of the game which would bug on my PAL C64 and make my die for no reason if I didn't freeze the robots right after entering certain rooms. Despite that bug I still think it's an excellently designed game with a good mix of action and puzzle elements and enough randomness to give it some replay value.

In case you didn't know it already: you can shoot at those boxes to speed things up. Just be careful not to pour too many bullets into chests full of grenades or you may blow up the entire castle :)

Ah! I did not know that! When I was a kid I blamed the slow discover on the speed of the disk drive. LOL

My friends and I played Knight Games a lot back in the day. It was audio-visually beautiful. Gameplay-wise, it's quite shallow, though, and I don't hold it in much regard today beyond that.

I agree completely. That is why I prefaced my choices stating my view is skewed by nostalgia. I remember my Apple II friends being awed by Knight Games.

Cutting it down to 5 games is brutal. I tried to consider which games I actually have played the most, but obviously there may be titles missing from the list.

Most played and still with replay value:

Delta
Giana Sisters
Microprose Soccer
Pitstop II
The Boss / Soccer Boss
Other cool, somewhat exclusive titles that didn't make the top list:
Hypa Ball
Jammin'
Nebulus
Nice ports from other formats:
Gyruss
Mirrorsoft Tetris
M.U.L.E.
Salamander
Tapper
  • Like 1

I received my SD2IEC over the weekend, so I had a few hours to catch up on some classics. I mostly played Bruce Lee and Forbidden Forest, but I also loaded up Choplifter and had an instant flashback of the insane amount of hours I played on it. I finally wrapped up Persona 5 last night, so I can really dive into the system again now.

Most favorite games from back in the day:

• Gyruss (My favorite game on any platform. The C64 version is quite good.)
  • Master Of The Lamps
  • Commando
  • Archon
  • Jumpman

Honorable mention:

• Pitfall II
  • M.U.L.E.

Agreed on Gyruss! This was the first version I played and I enjoyed it over any other version. I may have to fire that up tonight!

The C=64 had so many great games. I don't think I can just cut sports games to 5.

1. Winter Games

2. Hardball

3. 4th and Inches

4. One on One Bird vs. Dr, J / Two on Two. I liked the dunk animation on this one!

5. ..Just 1 more... World Games.

Beach Head, Rush 'n Attack, Gyroscope, Test Drive... It just goes on and on. I guess I need to get another C=64!

I had the joystick version, Pretty cool, but the joystick itself kinda sucked.

Hmmm no love for Cauldron or Cauldron II? Cauldron II is like Montezuma's Revenge on steroid.

I really want to like Cauldron II, but it typically takes me like two minutes to bounce my pumpkin all the way down to the basement, and I never get anywhere from there. It's a love-hate relationship, I guess :)

Most favorite games from back in the day:

• Gyruss (My favorite game on any platform. The C64 version is quite good.)...

Agreed on Gyruss! This was the first version I played and I enjoyed it over any other version. I may have to fire that up tonight!

Make that three for having love for C64 Gyruss. The C64 version is the best on any 8-bit platform:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACGZCXfWlKU

Fired up Forbidden Forest again during the long weekend and finally figured out the trick to beating the Demogorgon! I never realized that you can see the shadow of his claws in the bushes. Once I figured that out I was able to get a better idea of where he was and nail him. I ended up recording it for my channel, but I can't believe it took me 30 years to realize the trick!

• Like 2