IGNORED

Your C64 Top 5 games?

5. World Karate Championship A.K.A International Karate

I'm not a huge fighting game fan, but I find this game really fun to play in both the 1 player and 2 player mode.

4. Gyruss

A really accurate port of an arcade classic, Parker Brothers really knew what they were doing when programming this port.

3. Boulder Dash

An addictive action puzzle game by First Star Software and a really good one at that.

2. Jumpman

A really good arcade style platformer for the C64.

1. Bubble Bobble

I'm so glad I got an NTSC copy of this game, because it ended up being my all-time favorite C64 game as of now.

Honorable Mentions:

Gridrunner

A really good fast paced Centipede-like game by Jeff Minter.

Speed Buggy

one of the first games I got for the C64. A good port of a good racing game.

• Like 1

1. Bard's Tale II: Possibly the C64 game I spent the most time on, and very reminiscent of the Apple II version of Wizardry (though I thought C64 Wizardry was dreadful). I spent many afternoons after school fighting wolfmen and dark mages, while listening to Weird Al tunes on my Sony boombox. Oddly, I never actually solved a single dungeon, a fact that would not change until I got the PC version and used a cheat program to bump my stats up.

2. Little Computer People: One of two games I would habitually play at the department store. Think Sims, 1985 style, but this Sim writes you letters (with a good old fashioned typewriter) and plays poker with you.

3. Master Trivia: The other game I played at the store. I loved it, except my disk somehow went bad after a while. Almost every time the question would be "What is the third closest planet to the sun?" with a required answer of "moose."

4. Skate or Die: Played this a lot with my stepbrothers...fun times bopping each other off our skateboards in the pool joust. The halfpipe event is similar to the Lynx version in CA Games, but I thought the C64 one was more fun.

5. Mind Mirror: Timothy Leary's classic psychology program, and my first intro to personality theory, way before I learned about Myers Briggs. Similar to Alter Ego, but more clinically minded.

1. Toy Bizarre - Mark Turmell's masterpiece & cruelly underrated. My favorite game of all time, actually.

2. Pogo Joe - Way too many hours wasted on this one but no regrets.

3. Bruce Lee - If you got 10 minutes to kill. you kill it with Bruce Lee & walk away happy.

4. Impossible Mission - Albatross

5. M.U.L.E. - Played for years until Dan Bunten's kids made an Android version & now play that.

Honorable mentions include - Turrican II, Maniac Mansion, Krakout, IK+, Mail Order Monsters, Archon, Gateway To Apshai & Ultima IV

• 8 months later...

1) Impossible Mission

2) Forbidden Forest

3) Airborne Rangers

4) Beach Head II

5) Ghostbusters

As a bonus my favorite C64 series:

1) Impossible Mission / Impossible Mission II

2) Games (Summer, Summer II, Winter, World, California)

3) Beach Head / Beach Head II

4) Pitstop / Pitstop II

5) Frogger / Frogger II

Edited by thetick1

I don't know if these are my top 5, but these are games I remember playing a lot and still pop-up from time to time on my mind whenever I think of the C=64 -- in no particular order:

I'd like to add Mission Impossible, Karateka, and Bruce Lee -- as I seem to remember loving those games -- but it could have been more related to they being part of the zeitgeist, because I don't recall ever finishing them, and getting frustrated after only a few tries. They were pretty though! :)

-dZ.

UPDATE: Oh dang! Where do I fit Epix Summer Games and Winter Games? :o

• 2 months later...

Jumpman (loved the Randomizer option)

Gateway to Apshai (on cartridge - played it a lot to see if there was an ending - never found it)

Spelunker (actually beat it - very satisfying)

Rick Dangerous (couldn't beat the third scenario - very fun)

and the number-one time killer back in the day:

Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar - the first and only game that I stayed up all night playing

Regards,

Emulator

A worthy thread dig - who gets tired of talking about C64 games? I could probably produce a new "top 5" list every time I'm asked.

I pulled these from memory and from reading the other responses:

Arkanoid
The Bard's Tale
California Games (I liked all of these really)
Defender of the Crown
Ghostbusters
Gyruss
HERO
Jumpman
Keith von Eron's (aka Microprose) Soccer
Lemans
Lords of Conquest
One on One Bird vs. Dr. J
Pinball Spectacular
Pirates!
Skate or Die
Spy vs Spy
Street Sports Football (again, I liked all of these)
Superstar Ice Hockey
Tapper

As for picking 5, here's how I feel today:

1) Pirates!
2) Superstar Ice Hockey
3) The Bard's Tale
4) California Games
5) Lords of Conquest
  • Like 2

Ah, the 64. My best friend had one, along with every other kid I knew after the crash. So many games,not one that wasn't cracked!

1. Aliens. This game...never did finish it. Mainly due to the broken function key required to switch with one of your marines. Even had a magazine article with tips, no dice. What a soundtrack! Activision nailed it.

2. Space Taxi. Probably my favorite game on that system. So much fun.

3. Karateka. Really had fun with this one. Never finished it, damn GATE! That cinematic gaming experience was a high point for many years.

4. Any Epyx Games...not that we knew how to properly play them, but play them we did, loads.

5. Archon. Best two player game version I've played.

So many mire mentions. Never owned one myself. The disk drive was prohibitively expensive, and still needed that fastloader cart to be really fast. Consoles ruined me for patience!

• 3 weeks later...

A worthy thread dig - who gets tired of talking about C64 games? I could probably produce a new "top 5" list every time I'm asked.

I pulled these from memory and from reading the other responses:

Arkanoid
The Bard's Tale
California Games (I liked all of these really)
Defender of the Crown
Ghostbusters
Gyruss
HERO
Jumpman
Keith von Eron's (aka Microprose) Soccer
Lemans
Lords of Conquest
One on One Bird vs. Dr. J
Pinball Spectacular
Pirates!
Skate or Die
Spy vs Spy
Street Sports Football (again, I liked all of these)
Superstar Ice Hockey
Tapper

As for picking 5, here's how I feel today:

1) Pirates!
2) Superstar Ice Hockey
3) The Bard's Tale
4) California Games
5) Lords of Conquest

I had an urge to list some more C64 games. I kept a list of all the games that I had when I sold my original (non-working) collection, so I reviewed it and found these great games that I'd left out of my first pass.

Accolade's comics
Adventure writer
Agent usa
Aztec challenge
Beachhead
Beachhead II
Beamrider
Blue max
Bruce lee
Buck rodgers
Fort Apocalypse
GI Joe