IGNORED

The ColecoVision trademark

opcode

I have decided no longer pursue this. I have more important things to do than waste my time disputing a name. At this point I have the support that matters, and that is the support from this community, I am not a company, I don't have or look for global domination, I am just a fucking homebrewer for a very niche community. I started doing this because I love what I do and thought others would appreciate too, not to fight legal battles. Let them have their name. We have our community, I have the community support and I will keep doing my games. As for them, I hope they find their public too.

Thanks,

Eduardo

• Like 20

I'm confused: you can't say anything "ColecoVision" without it being some kind of trademark issue? So how did 3rd party games ever use the name "ColecoVision" in the first place? (or was there a difference back in the day, as opposed to now?)

And who is this dick who now owns the Coleco name? I want to bring him misery. ;)

PS does this affect the SGM 4th run I just pre-ordered (with the sweet smoky case?)

I'm confused: you can't say anything "ColecoVision" without it being some kind of trademark issue?

Apparently. I, too am waiting to hear back from Coleco on a trademark issue. If you notice, the "ColecoVision Fan" Facebook page is not currently active. I've also been made victim over something Coleco is doing. I'll post more on that later once I have more news.

I'm confused: you can't say anything "ColecoVision" without it being some kind of trademark issue? So how did 3rd party games ever use the name "ColecoVision" in the first place? (or was there a difference back in the day, as opposed to now?)

And who is this dick who now owns the Coleco name? I want to bring him misery. ;)

PS does this affect the SGM 4th run I just pre-ordered (with the sweet smoky case?)

No, the 4th run hasn't been jeopardized, although there may be some cosmetic changes to packaging.

• Like 1

And as they say in America, "Bring it on ***hole..." As a community, Coleco Holdings, a piss-poor immitation of the original Coleco, doesn't know who they are messing with.

No, the 4th run hasn't been jeopardized, although there may be some cosmetic changes to packaging.

As for the full story and names, I will start posting all the details tomorrow. And I have a few surprises up my sleeve too. Let's just say I got quite acquainted about trademarks in the past few months, and I have some surprising discoveries to reveal regarding the ColecoVision trademark. As we say in Brazil, I will give a cow not to start a fight, but I will give a cattle not to get out of one. Especially when I know I have done nothing wrong regarding the fair use of the CV mark.

Edited by jblenkle
  • Like 3

Trademark website said that "Colecovision" trademark been abandon since 2005. So... there is no need for River West Brand to go after people.

It really sucks that the current trademark owner is harassing everyone due to expired trademark. :(

• Like 3

I remember listening to a CAGCast in the mid to late 2000s. They used to have this guy who owned the old video game store on St. Marks in the East Village, don't remember what it was called. He had sold his store which I believe is now what is Video Games NY.

Anyway, relevant to this story, once he had sold his store he moved to Las Vegas, and on the CAGCast he said he owned the trademark to ColecoVision. That was then, don't know if that's who everyone is dealing with currently.

The issue is that they also filed for the Trademark in the EU, also note they have no Acquired distinctiveness which probably is the same from the USPTO mark

"a licensing model in place where we should pay royalties and get our content approved" with no acquired distinctiveness, would be very difficult if i recall trademark law from legal courses i taken in college (Note I'm also not a Lawyer, and can't give professional legal advice)

Name ColecoVision Filing number 005022661 Basis EUTM Date of receipt 17/04/2006 Type Word Nature Individual Nice classes 9 ( Nice Classification ) Vienna Classification
Filing date 17/04/2006 Registration date 15/03/2007 Expiry date 17/04/2026 Designation date Filing language German Second language English Application reference Trade mark status Registered Acquired distinctiveness No ------------------------------------

I knew it. I knew those guys were no better than who they were trying to get in bed with (MK). I get, to a degree, if they are trying to defend their copyright (which apparently they may not have rights to), but the reality is that homebrew games for defunct consoles do not cause confusion in the marketplace.

• Like 3

Oh man, what a pathetic failure this Cardillo must be.

Needless to say that the ColecoVision (intentionally left the TM off there) homebrew scene is awesome and I will always support you guys as much as I can. Good luck with this issue, but it does sound like you've got it in hand.

• Like 2

Cardillo using other people's IP probably without permission so just complain

expo17.jpg

"How Do I Report Potential Infringements to Nintendo Products?

To report infringing items on internet auction sites, please call us at 1-800-255-3700 or e-mail us atauctionpiracy@noa.nintendo.com

To report ROM sites, emulators, Game Copiers, Counterfeit manufacturing, or other illegal activities, please call us at 1-800-255-3700 or e-mail us at piracyscene@noa.nintendo.com

For any other legal inquiry or concern, please call us at 1-800-255-3700 or e-mail us at noalegal@noa.nintendo.com"

Cabbagepatchkids

http://www.cabbagepatchkids.com/trademark

Info to contact them can be found at

http://www.cabbagepatchkids.com/contacts/

Frogger

sales@konamigaming.com

• Like 4