IGNORED

Coleco strong-arming homebrew publishers and fan sites

TPR

I am not so sure that is Cardillo writing all that, when I have spoken to him he comes across as patient, thoughtful, and willing to listen to constructive criticism, he did not strike me as a stupid man. These posts don't make any sense to me, nor does the entire conflict to be honest.

Wonder who did this:

818ATV0LWzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

"ColecoVison®" ??? REALLY!?!?!??

They have a trademark typo on their fucking box. And you know it's a typo because they have the correct spelling right after and if you lookup the trademark for "ColecoVison" at USPTO nothing comes up. So apparently that trademark is up for grabs. You guys should scoop it up and use that instead!

• Like 7

I am not so sure that is Cardillo writing all that, when I have spoken to him he comes across as patient, thoughtful, and willing to listen to constructive criticism, he did not strike me as a stupid man. These posts don't make any sense to me, nor does the entire conflict to be honest.

He could be a lying phony to your face; the world is full of people like that, ESPECIALLY in business.

This is really something. If the person posting as "Colecovision" is Cardillo, maybe he should quit while he's ahead. It's clear he doesn't have the resources or experience to pick a legal fight, and this little spat is just calling attention to how silly they are. Total Streisand effect, blowing something up that could have been settled quietly and professionally.

I don't really care about $60 Coleco games in 2017, and don't feel the ancient, moribund brand is affected much one way or another by having some pixelated breasts in an obscure corner of the web. Prudes and "chameleon" scammers are infinitely more offensive to me.

• Like 7

This is really something. If the person posting as "Colecovision" is Cardillo, maybe he should quit while he's ahead. It's clear he doesn't have the resources or experience to pick a legal fight, and this little spat is just calling attention to how silly they are. Total Streisand effect, blowing something up that could have been settled quietly and professionally.

I don't really care about $60 Coleco games in 2017, and don't feel the ancient, moribund brand is affected much one way or another by having some pixelated breasts in an obscure corner of the web. Prudes and "chameleon" scammers are infinitely more offensive to me.

He was never ahead; he's so far behind and always will be with that pea-sized brain of his.

Cardillo's obviously lying about the goal being to make games a community event; they already were a community event. Cardillo's actions have been nothing but an attempt to dismantle and control the community. "Don't be fooled." Don't worry, Cardillo, we're not fooled by your bull.

Maybe he's that dude who overprices medicine and uses the money to collect unreleased Wu Tang Clan albums.

No way. That dude has enough money to fund his own shitty rap; Cardillo clearly is hurting for money, otherwise he wouldn't be wasting his time with our community.

Edit: In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing Nintendo make his wallet much lighter...

Edited by DuggerVideoGames

No way. That dude has enough money to fund his own shitty rap; Cardillo clearly is hurting for money, otherwise he wouldn't be wasting his time with our community.

Edit: In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing Nintendo make his wallet much lighter...

I seriously doubt he's hurting for money with dad's window business. If anything the opposite is the problem.

"Strong arm the community into making you more money"

this, I don't buy. the kind of money thrown around on coleco homebrew, as i understand it, amounts to probably a few grand a year, total? i have no idea really, but this seems like a reasonable first guess.

so an attempt to horn in on that money would net you what, a few hundred a year tops?

it just doesn't make sense to me that this is a move to squeeze money from the homebrewers - unless the scale of their operation is much, much larger than it appears to an outsider like me.

• Like 1

I think the whole purpose behind what's happening here is getting lost in all the commotion. Here's the way read what's going on:

The Coleco brand is currently in the process of being 'reborn' so to speak. The products they're licensing the brand to are all family friendly and meet some type of brand guidelines they have in mind to represent the brand. They've seen their trademark being used in a manner which they feel doesn't properly represent their company, on the adult games, and they want that usage to stop. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Some of you have made jokes about the content on the covers of those adult games, but to the company it's not a joke.

There's also been on-going talk of them re-releasing the Coleco tabletop games and doing other things within the gaming market. As those activities progress, they are likely becoming more and more uncomfortable with their trademark being placed on homebrew titles which are ports of IPs the developers\publishers don't have the rights to. It puts them in a potentially bad situation, especially if they're negotiating with some of those companies for their upcoming products (i.e. Nintendo for the DK tabletop game).

In the end, regardless what their ultimate reasons are, it's up to them as to how the trademark is used.

With the said, the way they're going about things is questionable. A fan site shouldn't be involved in this at all. It should be between the trademark holder and the homebrew game publishers. I think all they're ultimately trying to do is ensure their trademark is only going on products that fit the new brand guidelines. I'm not sure why anyone here would have a problem with that, given that no one here is entitled to use the trademark without permission anyways. I think some homebrew developers\publishers have gotten way too comfortable over the years with using IP belong to others, without proper permission to do so.

My suggestion would be for Coleco Holdings to pause for a moment and rethink their approach. They've mentioned their willingness to work with the homebrew community. If that's really the case, they need to draft up full documentation around their brand guidelines and share them with the game publishers. Any publisher who is willing to abide by the guidelines could then work with Coleco Holdings to sign an agreement for use of the trademark for products meeting guideline standards. Any products not meeting the standards will need to be released without the trademark.

• Like 7

"Strong arm the community into making you more money"

this, I don't buy. the kind of money thrown around on coleco homebrew, as i understand it, amounts to probably a few grand a year, total? i have no idea really, but this seems like a reasonable first guess.

so an attempt to horn in on that money would net you what, a few hundred a year tops?

it just doesn't make sense to me that this is a move to squeeze money from the homebrewers - unless the scale of their operation is much, much larger than it appears to an outsider like me.

More or less what I was thinking. I suppose it could be an attempt to stir up publicity, sad as that sounds. Using the brand for mass marketing, i.e. flashback style consoles is the only true value that I can see in holding the rights.

Selling trinkets or SWAG is also possible I suppose, but they would need rights to the graphic logo for that.

• Like 1

I think the whole purpose behind what's happening here is getting lost in all the commotion. Here's the way read what's going on:

The Coleco brand is currently in the process of being 'reborn' so to speak. The products they're licensing the brand to are all family friendly and meet some type of brand guidelines they have in mind to represent the brand. They've seen their trademark being used in a manner which they feel doesn't properly represent their company, on the adult games, and they want that usage to stop. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Some of you have made jokes about the content on the covers of those adult games, but to the company it's not a joke.

There's also been on-going talk of them re-releasing the Coleco tabletop games and doing other things within the gaming market. As those activities progress, they are likely becoming more and more uncomfortable with their trademark being placed on homebrew titles which are ports of IPs the developers\publishers don't have the rights to. It puts them in a potentially bad situation, especially if they're negotiating with some of those companies for their upcoming products (i.e. Nintendo for the DK tabletop game).

In the end, regardless what their ultimate reasons are, it's up to them as to how the trademark is used.

With the said, the way they're going about things is questionable. A fan site shouldn't be involved in this at all. It should be between the trademark holder and the homebrew game publishers. I think all they're ultimately trying to do is ensure their trademark is only going on products that fit the new brand guidelines. I'm not sure why anyone here would have a problem with that, given that no one here is entitled to use the trademark without permission anyways. I think some homebrew developers\publishers have gotten way too comfortable over the years with using IP belong to others, without proper permission to do so.

My suggestion would be for Coleco Holdings to pause for a moment and rethink their approach. They've mentioned their willingness to work with the homebrew community. If that's really the case, they need to draft up full documentation around their brand guidelines and share them with the game publishers. Any publisher who is willing to abide by the guidelines could then work with Coleco Holdings to sign an agreement for use of the trademark for products meeting guideline standards. Any products not meeting the standards will need to be released without the trademark.

Except Coleco has done NOTHING to indicate that they are willing to be professional or work with anybody at all. It was bad enough that they bullied a fan page, but they went even further and spread lies about the fan page while being antagonistic bastards. There has been no professional courtesy whatsoever from Coleco's side. Nobody's upset that Coleco has guidelines; we're upset that they spread lies, lie about what trademarks they own, and are assholes throughout the whole process.

• Like 3

If your assessment was correct then Coleco Holdings would not have gone after everyone under the sun! Just the one developer with questionable content.

• Like 1

And in addition to being assholes throughout the whole process, Coleco has also been hypocrites by using Nintendo-owned and Konami-owned trademarks in their promotional materials! No wrongdoing by the fan site, but wrongdoing hypocritical Coleco decides to bully them.

• Like 1

If your assessment was correct then Coleco Holdings would not have gone after everyone under the sun! Just the one developer with questionable content.

Of course they would. They'd want to take full control over their trademark, rather than just leave it be a free for all as it has been. The problem is that they should have been prepared with an offer for homebrew publishers. Let them know exactly what they need to do in order to continue using the trademark. As I previously said, the way they're going about things is questionable.

And in addition to being assholes throughout the whole process, Coleco has also been hypocrites by using Nintendo-owned and Konami-owned trademarks in their promotional materials! No wrongdoing by the fan site, but wrongdoing hypocritical Coleco decides to bully them.

If they are indeed re-releasing the Coleco tabletop games, they would have likely acquired the rights for DK and Frogger. That would explain their usage on promotional materials. Not saying that's the case 100%, but people really need to stop declaring people guilty without knowing the full story.

Edited by goldenegg