IGNORED

Coleco strong-arming homebrew publishers and fan sites

TPR

OMG

RWB was acquired last year by a company called Dormitus http://dormitus.com

They have a stupendously pompous/dorky advertising concept... old brands are "sleeping giants" like dormant volcanoes that "hold a sacred place in our consciousness" and they will "breathe new life into these brands that never died"

I am not making this up

http://dormitus.com

Their portfolio:

Cingular

Coleco/Colecovision

Brim

Cross Colours

Aiwa

Underalls

Handspring

Spuds McKenzie

What a motley assortment. Aside from Coleco, we have an absorbed wireless company nobody has any fond memories of, a 70s/80s brand of coffee nobody wanted to fill to the rim anymore, a 90s Benneton-wannabe fashion brand, an middling 90s electronics company which was absorbed by Sony, then died when Sony's rebranding failed hard, a 70s/80s brand of pantyhose of all damn things (do women still wear these?), an early 2000s PDA/smartphone brand that got absorbed by Palm, and the late 80s gormless bull terrier mascot for Budweiser that MADD accused Anheuser-Busch of using to market the beer to kids. For the most part, properties that died for a reason and should stay dead.

• Like 4

Not really. Yes tell the truth. Always a good choice. But not for business. That's why there's CEO school, to undo that training.

This is a stupid concept. I'd have mad, mad respect for any company that got in front of a mistake, admitted it, and apologized, all of its own volition, before the media got wind of it and made them look like they're only sorry because they're getting bad publicity. It's the ones who deflect and evade that I hate most and tend to avoid.

• Like 2

We'll they stated at the CC fiasco toyfair brochure-ish that "we're back:

How the hell can they even get away with that? They are fundamentally lying by inferring to everyone that they are the same company that produced the Cabbage Patch Kids and the ColecoVision when all they do is own a few of the original brand names.

Ah, now I get it - they are the one's responsible for the success of Donkey Kong. Congrats Chris - and I thought you weren't even born when Nintendo released the arcade game!!!!

Good grief, it just gets worse. Their email address uses the aol.com domain and doesn't even tie back to their crappy colecotoys.com domain. Their complete lack of professionalism continues.....

• Like 3

How the hell can they even get away with that? They are fundamentally lying by inferring to everyone that they are the same company that produced the Cabbage Patch Kids and the ColecoVision when all they do is own a few of the original brand names.

Remember when. Play again.

It's par for the course, these jackasses have been doing this for a while now, back when the brain fart called "RetroVGS" and "Coleco Chameleon" were the darlings of the interwebs.

That "COLECO is Back" title was added at the last minute by our PR firm. And I guess we can all debate what "Back" means. In a sense it is back. Even if in name only. The future of what that means remains to be seen. If this product, with the COLECO name on it, becomes a success at some level, then what will that mean? Is it "back" then? Is there a future in that brand to bring out or lend their name to other "new" products? I really don't think most are reading much more into it other than, "Hey, it would be cool to see that brand name back on a new product." The Chameleon will be the first "new" forward thinking product to adorn that brand name and none of us know where it could take the brand. It was never our intention to indicate this was anything but a licensing deal.

A few posts down, we have:

Ya, there was NOTHING accurate about that. But we can't control that or the tons of other media outlets that picked it up. Moving forward we will be more careful about how we address the COLECO licensing.

As a side note, look at all the homebrew video games being sold all over the place that are recreating original box art and displaying brand names and IP from the past? Do you not all think this could be confusing to some people as well? Especially when these games penetrate the outside market? I am paying for this license and will pay for everything associated with this console's hardware, integrated software, branding, whatever. It's all above the board :)

It would seem they're working from the same playbook.

• Like 1

One thing I just can't reconcile is THIS Chris Cardillo Vs the one I dealt with. When the DVR in a Jag story was breaking the impeccably honest Willie started a 3 way text with myself and Chris. He plainly said that the guys trying the hardest to take you down (we had the Chameleon twitter and website) are your best allies and SoCal is a crook, you two should talk. I replied to Chris that I would be happy to talk but that he would probably not want to hear what I had to say but the call was arranged. Chris and I talked and I gave him the back history of the transfer of assets, multiple companies etc. and he listened. I told him to verify before acting and he did. I explained to him the technical impossibilities that were claimed and he was very contrite. I asked him why he didn't break out a screwdriver and demand Socal opened it and he was very humble that he would know nothing about what he was looking at if he did. When we talked again he asked what he should do and I told him to establish a written test standard that would describe the article and the standards as well as the time frame. I was the engineer that "Coleco" referenced when they demanded the prototypes for inspection. Of course they could not meet that because any minimally informed person knows that there was no prototype from the New York Toy Fair nor the KIckstarter preparation. Coleco did this publicly and I could not imagine any more responsible behavior. But this new harassing fan pages over content creation that was settled since about 3rd party manufacturers is so damn crazy that the entire RGR family could only wonder if the same powers are at play?

Edited by Pipercub
  • Like 5

There they are! There they are!! They're mine! They belong to me! The Red Bull gathered them for me one by one, and I made him drive each one into the sea! Now they live there. And every tide carries them within an easy step of the land, but they dare not come out of the water! They are afraid of the Red Bull. I like to watch them. They fill me with joy. The first I felt it I thought I was going to die. I said to the Red Bull I must have them, all of them, all there are. For nothing makes me happy but their shining and their grace. So the Red Bull caught them. Each time I see the trademarks, my trademarks, it is like that morning in the woods and I am truly young, in spite of myself.

post-42585-0-00867200-1495677202_thumb.jpg

Keatah, on 24 May 2017 - 6:12 PM, said:

Not really. Yes tell the truth. Always a good choice. But not for business. That's why there's CEO school, to undo that training.

Is telling the truth really such a crime in the business community? If you aren't under an NDA, tell the truth. If you are under an NDA, truthfully disclose the fact that you cannot disclose the information.

If I worked for a company selling brand A, I would not hesitate to recommend brand B to a customer if I felt it would be a better fit for the customer's specific needs. That isn't to say brand A that I am paid to sell is not a good product, but one should always put the cusomer's needs above their own, and this honesty may result in repeat business when the customer needs something else.

I have had small business owners recommend competitors before, thanked them, and came back when I needed something else. I've also had slick business men sell me horse shit and swore never to do business with them again. One reason why I always try to support the little guy first before heading off to the big guys.

Mindfield, on 24 May 2017 - 7:02 PM, said:

This is a stupid concept.  I'd have mad, mad respect for any company that got in front of a mistake, admitted it, and apologized, all of its own volition, before the media got wind of it and made them look like they're only sorry because they're getting bad publicity.  It's the ones who deflect and evade that I hate most and tend to avoid.

This. 100%

• Like 2

I recall seeing advertisements for cabbage patch kids recently so the brand is currently in use by another company (i forget who owns it currently as I don't keep up with them). So the current owner of Cabbage Patch Kids could sue them if they wanted.

Good grief, it just gets worse. Their email address uses the aol.com domain and doesn't even tie back to their crappy colecotoys.com domain. Their complete lack of professionalism continues.....

aol dotcom. I am surprised they even still exist, LOL! :P

Holy Shit! Eric! How you doin' man? :)

I'm doing pretty good, thanks! I've been gone from here a good long time now. Got out of collecting, though still have a core Atari 2600 system with my favourite games and some accessories. Sadly I just don't really have the time to pull it out and play with it. I do log time in emulators occasionally though. :) I got sucked back in by this thread from Facebook though, and ... well, dammit, I miss AA. So I came back. :D

• Like 3

I recall seeing advertisements for cabbage patch kids recently so the brand is currently in use by another company (i forget who owns it currently as I don't keep up with them). So the current owner of Cabbage Patch Kids could sue them if they wanted. aol dotcom. I am surprised they even still exist, LOL! :P

The rights reverted back to Xaviar Roberts, their creator; I posted about COLECO advertising them on their Facebook page (as if COLECO still had anything to do with them).

The images actually link to the Appalachian Artworks, Inc. homepage.

Heh, we are only 2050 topics and 83,001 posts behind the Intellivision Forum. Me thinks these threads dealing with all this should help close the gap rather quickly.

Look out Rev!!!

Stop posting in this thread. You might actually catch up to Intellivision forums.

• Like 2

http://adage.com/article/cmo-strategy/controls-spuds-mackenzie-dog-center-legal-fight/308304/

http://archive.courthousenews.com/cnsnews/Story/Index/71900

Its already been said I'm sure. But Dormitus/River West/Coleco are just Trademark squatter trolls.

They can't fake passion for Colecovision. Passion comes from the heart, Coleco Holdings has no heart. The homebrew guys do. Thats something they will never understand is most homebrew guys don't care if they make tons of money from games. I'm sure most are happy just breaking even.

Edited by Rev
  • Like 2

I think River West Brands understands everything. They want to sell/license a million cheap units with the Coleco name on it to a million people who also don't care much about Coleco. They need to establish ownership of the brand which might be a little iffy right now. To do that they need to do what they are doing. If they alienate a few hundred (or more) fans it does not matter to them.

Edit: The only thing they might not understand is where/how they are going to get Colecovision content/games?

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2

Real issue is that River West Brands believes there is money in the Coleco brand which was totally damaged belong belief by the real Coleco which is the reason Hasbro phased it out

RiverWestBrands is using this corpse to pretend it has Nintendo games and Cabbage Patch dolls plus others just like a True Zombie Shell Company, since Coleco wasn't known for any first party original IP

• Like 3