IGNORED

Coleco strong-arming homebrew publishers and fan sites

TPR

cardo1, on 03 Jun 2017 - 9:55 PM, said:cardo1, on 03 Jun 2017 - 9:55 PM, said:cardo1, on 03 Jun 2017 - 9:55 PM, said:

It says "MORE THAN" his rep ---

Chris, I don't have a horse in this race. I'm just a fellow video gamer who is reading everything on the side and listening to both sides. I've heard you on podcasts in the past and think you were quite good on them in the past. So let me just ask you, Sir, as someone who doesn't have anything to gain or loose by saying this:

Why can't you recognize your barking up the wrong tree with the Facebook fan page?

Yes, your company may have the legal right to use the Coleco branding. Yes, it's understandable that you want to have some say on what gets published for the Colecovision in homebrews. Yes, I can understand being upset that adult games and ports of arcade games that the developers don't have the rights for are coming out on it. And yes, I can understand wanting to make money in this area and exercising your legal rights.

But your going about it totally the wrong way. Don't go after a fan site that is only reporting on the news. Go after the publishers themselves. All of their info is public and nothing is hidden. Take your case to them and leave the people who are the BIGGEST fans of the Coleco -- a brand your company claims they are TRYING to do something with -- alone.

You've already done huge damage to the fan base and what people are thinking and saying about you and Coleco Holdings. It's not too late to fix the damage. But the longer this goes on and the more you keep the mud slinging going instead of acting in a professional way, the more permanent damage is being done.

If you want to just go through lawyers at this point, then do so. Otherwise if you feel these personal attacks are unfounded, don't stoop to that level. Prove that you are a business man and that you care about the brand that RWH has, instead of acting like a 12 year old.

Edited by SoulBlazer
  • Like 15

Under this scenario, is the community and CVF page under agreement that games which feature lewd or suggesting content not to be created or promoted on CVF, as well as games that are unlicensed with recognizable games form a third party? Is that what everyone is saying? SOUL BLAZER --- awesome write up! We retract the violations with these terms to FB and you folks delete the several threads relating to this concern? That's the jist?

Under this scenario, is the community and CVF page under agreement that games which feature lewd or suggesting content not to be created or promoted on CVF, as well as games that are unlicensed with recognizable games form a third party? Is that what everyone is saying? SOUL BLAZER --- awesome write up! We retract the violations with these terms to FB and you folks delete the several threads relating to this concern? That's the jist?

I cannot decide what the fan page does, as I'm just a member. I cannot speak for everybody, but I can give a summation on what I believe the gist of it is:

• To my understanding, you have no legal say in what content can and cannot be developed for an old defunct system; it's not yours. They can make whatever they want for the Colecovision system, whether you like it or not.
  • You can ask the homebrew developers not to use the Colecovision name or logo on their box art and cartridges (if you indeed do own the trademark). If I remember correctly, they already plan not to use the logo/symbol from this point forward (it's up to you to speak with them, however).
  • No, you cannot ask the fan page to remove content. The fan page is not responsible for the development of the games. You're barking up the wrong tree there.

The reason this whole thing blew up in your face is because instead of first talking to the developers who made those games, you acted like a loose cannon and attacked the fan page! Instead of being an ass to the developers, the fan page, AND THE COMMUNITY - your potential market - as a whole, what you should have done was peacefully addressed the makers/publishers of the games first. A simple, "I request that you do not use the logo/symbol without our permission first" would have sufficed. But NO, you chose to be an ass and take immediate action and threats against everybody under the sun. The fact that you also went through improper channels - contacting a wife's personal FB page when you already have the developer's information - makes you look like an even bigger douchebag than you've already shown yourself to be.

I'm not the one making deals here. I'm just a player who loves the Colecovision and all the memories I had with it; I'm merely telling you what an ass you've been and how YOU screwed up the whole thing.

• Like 4

I cannot decide what the fan page does, as I'm just a member. I cannot speak for everybody, but I can give a summation on what I believe the gist of it is:

• To my understanding, you have no legal say in what content can and cannot be developed for an old defunct system; it's not yours. They can make whatever they want for the Colecovision system, whether you like it or not.
  • You can ask the homebrew developers not to use the Colecovision name or logo on their box art and cartridges (if you indeed do own the trademark). If I remember correctly, they already plan not to use the logo/symbol from this point forward (it's up to you to speak with them, however).
  • No, you cannot ask the fan page to remove content. The fan page is not responsible for the development of the games. You're barking up the wrong tree there.

The reason this whole thing blew up in your face is because instead of first talking to the developers who made those games, you acted like a loose cannon and attacked the fan page! Instead of being an ass to the developers, the fan page, AND THE COMMUNITY - your potential market - as a whole, what you should have done was peacefully addressed the makers/publishers of the games first. A simple, "I request that you do not use the logo/symbol without our permission first" would have sufficed. But NO, you chose to be an ass and take immediate action and threats against everybody under the sun. The fact that you also went through improper channels - contacting a wife's personal FB page when you already have the developer's information - makes you look like an even bigger douchebag than you've already shown yourself to be.

I'm not the one making deals here. I'm just a player who loves the Colecovision and all the memories I had with it; I'm merely telling you what an ass you've been and how YOU screwed up the whole thing.

Let's clarify this whole wife thing because i have seen that prior. 1) I did NOT have ed's number because he changed it. 2)i did not have Ed's Facebook, because he blocked me. 3) Ed has refers to his wife as his partner on numerous occasions and tells me that he needs to consult with her. 4) I have had conversations in the past with her regarding gaming... 5) AFTER getting Ed's number i said to him, i am sorry that i contacted your wife, but i did not have your info. --Just for the record.

Let's clarify this whole wife thing because i have seen that prior. 1) I did NOT have ed's number because he changed it. 2)i did not have Ed's Facebook, because he blocked me. 3) Ed has refers to his wife as his partner on numerous occasions and tells me that he needs to consult with her. 4) I have had conversations in the past with her regarding gaming... 5) AFTER getting Ed's number i said to him, i am sorry that i contacted your wife, but i did not have your info. --Just for the record.

For argument's sake, let's say you're telling the truth there. It doesn't excuse your other actions. Not picking a fight here, I'm just telling you how it is.

Well, once again, I have made a bonefide attempt to resolve everyones concerns only to be met with sarcasm and rebuking. I thought that we were on a positive road here with SOUL's post Buckeyes. Hell, even Dugger's 10;08 post. Halfway though this, i feel like a lot of people forgot what they were even arguing for. Let me know if anyone wishes to resolve this or not. I'm getting the vibe that this is not something that anyone wishes to end.

Our previous business was conducted mostly through email, the same email you used to contact me last year, and the same one you used just a couple of days ago. And you didn't have a fucking copy of the agreement before harassing me with stupid demands.

You are as unprofessional as you are incompetent. I will keep my suggestion, get your brand and go party with your true fans.

• Like 6

Well, once again, I have made a bonefide attempt to resolve everyones concerns only to be met with sarcasm and rebuking. I thought that we were on a positive road here with SOUL's post Buckeyes. Hell, even Dugger's 10;08 post. Halfway though this, i feel like a lot of people forgot what they were even arguing for. Let me know if anyone wishes to resolve this or not. I'm getting the vibe that this is not something that anyone wishes to end.

By resolve you mean agree to your terms? Again, get your terms and go party with your true fans.

I believe the only thing left here to be resolved is for you to apologize.

• Like 2

He means a lawyer, obviously.

Yes. This. Obviously.
Listen I apologize. Sometimes I forget that Cardillo isn't very good at picking up on subtle clues so I'll spell it out for you...
Cardillo has been sending emails and messages to certain significant members of the community. He has been referring to his "representative" in the emails he's been sending out trying to strong arm more people into his demands by making them think his "representative" is some sort of figurehead that could actually enforce any of his demands, like for example, legal council.
I'm not asking those people who received those message to step up as that isn't the issue here.
When I say "more than my representative" I mean that I'm not pretending.
Cardillo has been spreading some very interesting "stories" about me which I have well documented coming from his personal and his "representatives" email address and if it doesn't stop, he will be contacting my actual legal council not just my make-believe "representative."
I know Cardillo knows exactly what I'm talking about here, so don't play stupid Chris.
There is no physical threat here, this is me just being sick and tired of your game and it's going to end RIGHT NOW.
Let me also make one thing clear, Chris Cardillo...
I am a RetroGaming "fan." I came into this community because I love games, classic games, and mostly ColecoVision games.
I did not sign up to receive abuse from you, Chris Cardillo. I'm here as an enthusiast and I have no dog in any of this other than the fact that my fan page was unfairly attacked by Coleco.
I will NOT tolerate seeing emails and messages that come from your email account with your name attached with false information trying attempting to assassinate my character.
I will NOT tolerate erroneous claims on my fan page that I set up and spend my own money and time on and ask for nothing in return but the joy of playing games and being involved in this community.
If I wanted a face to face meeting, *I* would have set one up with *you.* I don't need your charity plane ticket or your condescending attitude when it comes to your explanations as to why you think you are in the right while at the same time damaging this community. Actually, I'm in NYC right now. If I wanted to meet with you I would have. But I prefer to have everything well documented so other fans just like me can see your true colors.
And with that, I don't have much more to say. You've been enough of a cancer to this community that I urge you to leave us alone, go produce your Coleco Expo and your Rainbow Brite mini arcade games and leave the rest of us to enjoy the classic ColecoVision because that's why we are all here.
You've lost us. Probably for good. You have broken what could have been a fantastic relationship with the community and it's your fault.
I just want to go back to playing games, collecting, and having fun. Who else is with me on that?
  • Like 16

I thought it no one used the logo everyone would be happy? Problem solved.. Still do not have any clue how you could talk to Fred Juice when he is known not in a good way to the entire Coleco community.

The reason that i talk to Fred on OCCASION is because he helps me with learning engineering and has helped me with repairing arcade machines. I believe that this was done publicly. or i a least posted it publicly. I have NO Coleco business with Fred. I treat EACH individual with the same respect that they show me and until he does not, i will consider his conversation. I was told by someone if you SO MUCH AS TALK to him, i will not deal with you. I did not think that this was fair. Fred, DOES NOT WISH to seek any business with Coleco and we do not have any current projects or foresee any future projects at this time. Fred was introduced to me by a member of your community. So was MK for that matter. I knew Fred before i knew OpCodes and Robb and many others. He asked me if he could produce a sound card of some sort for Coleco. I told him that i had no idea what this card does. He said that he would send me one. One did not come. When i asked him about it, he told me that he had some bad experiences with some folks and didn't want to do Coleco anymore. We have not spoken about the card since - at least to my recollection. At one point there was an eBay disagreement between Fred and another group. Ebay asked me to clarify. I told Ebay that I wished to stay out of it. So i did. If anyone has a problem with Fred that is between you and that man. I am not in high school. I am not going to stop talking to someone because a grown man tells me not to. Quite honestly, thats just..... weird. But ok. I guess. As an 'outsider' or 'new guy' you guys have no idea how much shit you talk about each other... Hearing that someone doesn't like someone else, is another day is the AAge park. - No offense. I just ignore it. I have plenty of screen shots that this guy said about this guy. Haven't forwarded them - don't care. treat everyone how they treat me. --- Lmk what else i can clarify...

• Like 1

Yes. This. Obviously.
Listen I apologize. Sometimes I forget that Cardillo isn't very good at picking up on subtle clues so I'll spell it out for you...
Cardillo has been sending emails and messages to certain significant members of the community. He has been referring to his "representative" in the emails he's been sending out trying to strong arm more people into his demands by making them think his "representative" is some sort of figurehead that could actually enforce any of his demands, like for example, legal council.
I'm not asking those people who received those message to step up as that isn't the issue here.
When I say "more than my representative" I mean that I'm not pretending.
Cardillo has been spreading some very interesting "stories" about me which I have well documented coming from him and his "representatives" email address and if it doesn't stop, he will be contacting my actual legal council not just my make-believe "representative."
I know Cardillo knows exactly what I'm talking about here, so don't play stupid Chris.
There is no physical threat here, this is me just being sick and tired of your game and it's going to end RIGHT NOW.
Let me also make one thing clear, Chris Cardillo...
I am a RetroGaming "fan." I came into this community because I love games, classic games, and mostly ColecoVision games.
I did not sign up to receive abuse from you, Chris Cardillo. I'm here as an enthusiast and I have no dog in any of this other than the fact that my fan page was unfairly attacked by Coleco.
I will NOT tolerate seeing emails and messages that come from your email account with your name attached with false information trying attempting to assassinate my character.
I will NOT tolerate erroneous claims on my fan page that I set up and spend my own money and time on and ask for nothing in return but the joy of playing games and being involved in this community.
If I wanted a face to face meeting, *I* would have set one up with *you.* I don't need your charity plane ticket or your condescending attitude when it comes to your explanations as to why you think you are in the right while at the same time damaging this community. Actually, I'm in NYC right now. If I wanted to meet with you I would have. But I prefer to have everything well documented so other fans just like me can see your true colors.
And with that, I don't have much more to say. You've been enough of a cancer to this community that I urge you to leave us alone, go produce your Coleco Expo and your Rainbow Brite mini arcade games and leave the rest of us to enjoy the classic ColecoVision because that's why we are all here.
You've lost us. Probably for good. You have broken what could have been a fantastic relationship with the community and it's your fault.
I just want to go back to playing games, collecting, and having fun. Who else is with me on that?

For he's a jolly good fellow

He's very much unlike Cardillo

Robb's a jolly good fellow

Which nobody can deny!

AMEN! Now let's get back to the spirit of our community and enjoy playing our games and sharing our experiences. Let the troll starve.

• Like 2

Go away, at this point I don't think we want anything else to do with you. Didn't you hear Robb, we want to go back to our colecovisions, which you don't have any rights but the name btw, and play some games and have fun. Go party with Fred. At least if he doesn't get paid, he deserves that.

• Like 6

More than your representative? Sounds like a physical threat to me. Feel free to elaborate as to what this representative would be meeting with me for.

How do you communicate on behalf of a "company" and yet you missed the point by that much? It does COLECO® ©℠ no favors when they're in a trademark dispute with a fan page and this is the level of comprehension we're dealing with.

axJmn.gif

• Like 7

LOL, like i said. There was NEVER any desire for the main guys here to resolve any concern. Never was. Never will be. Ed was at least willing to hear things out. Let me know if the REST of the community wishes to resolve this as a group, bc it woulds like the rest of us had this thing resolved about a week ago. Lmk if anyone is on board.

How do you communicate on behalf of a "company" and yet you miss the point by that much? It does COLECO® ©℠ no favors when they're in a trademark dispute with a fan page and this is the level of comprehension we're dealing with.

axJmn.gif

That's pretty cute and creative... Have to admit, i LOL'd. Getting back to the issue, let me know if you would like to work things out

LOL, like i said. There was NEVER any desire for the main guys here to resolve any concern. Never was. Never will be. Ed was at least willing to hear things out. Let me know if the REST of the community wishes to resolve this as a group, bc it woulds like the rest of us had this thing resolved about a week ago. Lmk if anyone is on board.

And there you go with that condescending attitude again.

Chris - *EVERYONE* here would have loved for "Coleco" to be a current brand they can embrace and look up to. *EVERYONE* here would have wanted "Coleco" to be a part of the homebrew community and hoped they would love what everyone is doing just as much as the next person on this forum.

But you aren't that guy and "Coleco" isn't that company and that's just the reality of the situation. And you are the one responsible for this.

• Like 6