IGNORED

Coleco strong-arming homebrew publishers and fan sites

TPR

It's gratifying to see the realization within the community that an old logo and anything currently connected to it is essentially irrelevant for new products.

Yes, exactly. Here are some examples of games from the 1980s that sold an ass-ton of copies but did not include any Coleco or ColecoVision logos. I say the homebrewers just follow this example and completely ignore "Coleco" all together.

70.jpg68.jpg64.jpg65.jpg50.jpg94.jpg69.jpg88.jpg

• Like 10

I'm assuming that with all this, and us retracting the complaints, this involves you removing all of the associated threads on Atari age as well as your fan page, and us also removing our statement on our page? And any other associated post that either of us have control over? Is that your understanding?

Our most sacred point is your first point concerning the questionable material. Your stance is that you have no investment in these games and "as a journalist" you should enjoy freedom of press. In the sprit of compromise if we concede that point then you agree that should you become involved in any business relationship with a developer then u may not promote THAT developers games unless of course they are licensed. As you stated you are not involved with these developers so this should really not be much concern. Does this seem logical?

2-4 and even 5 I agree with. So those are not an issue.

You agree to cause (ikranaka ) to restore our wiki to its former state and then don't mess with it.

You agree that the legal description I have provide regarding action figures is sufficient to show that no "black major or red laser figures " to your knowledge are "bootlegs" or "illicit."

We invite you, but not obligate you to assist in a style guide.

I'm assuming that with all this, and us retracting the complaints, this involves you removing all of the associated threads on Atari age as well as your fan page, and us also removing our statement on our page? And any other associated post that either of us have control over? Is that your understanding?

Our most sacred point is your first point concerning the questionable material. Your stance is that you have no investment in these games and "as a journalist" you should enjoy freedom of press. In the sprit of compromise if we concede that point then you agree that should you become involved in any business relationship with a developer then u may not promote THAT developers games unless of course they are licensed. As you stated you are not involved with these developers so this should really not be much concern. Does this seem logical?

2-4 and even 5 I agree with. So those are not an issue.

You agree to cause (ikranaka ) to restore our wiki to its former state and then don't mess with it.

You agree that the legal description I have provide regarding action figures is sufficient to show that no "black major or red laser figures " to your knowledge are "bootlegs" or "illicit."

NO. NO. NO. A THOUSAND TIMES, NO. How come the ONLY way to reach any so-called "agreement" is to erase any trace of you ever being an ass and your own wrongdoings? You're the clueless one here.

• Like 11

I am not one for silencing or squashing what has been said. If you want something removed because you don't like the way the conversation has turned out, you should have thought about that before you posted whatever you're hoping will be deleted. I'm perfectly ok with what has been said in this thread and I feel it should stay. Removing threads and deleting posts was never on the table. That being said, if Albert feels differently about this, it is his forum.

To define "involved with these developers" - I am not "involved" with any development of any games from a production standpoint or even a financial standpoint. My only "involvement" is that I am friends with them and I will offer my advice from time to time. But I do not have any "business relationships" with anyone in this community.

I do not agree that Coleco should have any say in what the ColecoVision Fan page posts. Even if one day I decided that I wanted to be personally responsible for a game, homebrew publishers and ColecoVision Fan are separate entities and should be treated as such.

I had no involvement with this at all.

This really has nothing to do with the action figures discussion and I honestly don't even care about any of this at all. So sure, whatever makes you happy in this regard.

This is something else I feel is unnecessary but if Coleco feels obligated to create a style guide that homebrewers could choose to either use or ignore, then sure, go for it.

Again, I do not speak for anyone other than just offering some rational suggestions so we can stop this stupidity and get back to making games and having fun again.

• Like 4

Day 1 you voiced your opinion. Days 2-whenever you bullied anyone associated with me or the company. Um yeah. It would be nice if you retracted all of these attacks at everyone. I would hope so. Especially considering that they are unfounded.

Especially since I have shown you that the information presented was incorrect and slanderous.

• Like 1

Basically, the terms here are that he will not unrightfully censor the free press if we agree to censor everything that he disagrees with. I'm getting the way this guy thinks and it is not reasonable at all.

• Like 9

Dear homebrew publishers -

Please make whatever games you want to. Don't use the Coleco logos. Pretend they don't exist, because really, the Coleco we know and love doesn't exist.

Make lots of games. Make AWESOME games. And let's start having fun and just ignore the troll in the room and hope it goes away...

What do you all say?

• Like 16

Please make whatever games you want to. Don't use the Coleco logos. Pretend they don't exist, because really, the Coleco we know and love doesn't exist.

Make lots of games. Make AWESOME games. And let's start having fun and just ignore the troll in the room and hope it goes away...

What do you all say?

Now THAT is being reasonable. I can't speak for the Homebrewers, but I feel confident those are terms they can agree to!

• Like 4

What do you all say?

It seems that since the only way he will agree to anything is to abridge our expression in some unreasonable way, I would agree with TPR and just say that if he unrightfully censors something in the community again, he can expect more of the same.

Edited by Swami
  • Like 4

Wait, what? Coleco wants to license games? They hardly have the rights to the logo (even that is questionable based on what I've seen).

From what I understand, this involves homebrewers making games. Then, in exchange for obtaining a coleco license, the homebrewer can use the coleco logo and then Coleco takes basically full control of the game, including the rights to produce it and change it and maybe pays a royalty to the homebrewer that Coleco thinks is fair. However, I think all are concerned with Coleco's perception of fair.

Edited by Swami

I'm just going to throw this out there. I collect a lot of figures, I've got my share of little plastic men to be sure, more so than I'm into video games. I'm actually very interested in finding out about the agreement with Hasbro. I've always understood a custom figure to be one that a person customized on their own, rather than recast parts from different molds assembled into a figure.

For example, I know one guy who has a cool GI Joe type figure he calls Hobo Man, made from a toy wizard, a Star Wars figure cloth jacket that was damaged, and then a repaint job on the figure. Or another figure of a Gi Joe guy with a robot arm put on from another figure and some two part epoxy putty sculpting, plus a new paint job. Recasting parts for personal use is also something that I've normally seen as perfectly acceptable.

Figures made from recast parts or from molds from official figures that don't have any customization other than just a color or part swap, have to the best of my knowledge always been bootlegs and recasts. Again, this could be fine for personal use, but not for resale.

I've done some of my own IP leaching in the past, and ended up working with the company and releasing an official product. I understand how being a fan how awesome it is to contribute something to a hobby you love, so if those figures were done with the blessing of Hasbro, then I'm totally in the wrong about being against them and would happily offer an apology.

• Like 2

Didn't Chris tells us in his page 34 rant that they were bootleg since Hasbro refused to licence them to him and that they were basically repaint Hasbro clones

presentation to them to acquire a license to package them. The request was denied

"Bootleg

1. An unofficial remix that incorporates the complete, finalized original song.

2. Fake-ass imitations of something authentic."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bootleg

Edited by enoofu

Oh, I get it now...you think you're Kathy Griffin...you've done something heinous, but you've decided you're the victim and are being bullied. Apparently you think if you throw the "B" word around enough, people will start believing you. Nope, didn't work for her, won't work for you.

Just my 2 cents...

Day 1 you voiced your opinion. Days 2-whenever you bullied anyone associated with me or the company. Um yeah. It would be nice if you retracted all of these attacks at everyone. I would hope so. Especially considering that they are unfounded.

Especially since I have shown you that the information presented was incorrect and slanderous.

• Like 4

Ban seems to be a good idea. Same for MK. Fraud is not right.

I disagree. Allowing everyone a voice ensures that no persons can claim that they weren't given a fair opportunity to represent themselves and defend themselves. What they choose to do with that voice and how the choose to represent and defend themselves allows us to judge their character and determine what involvement (if any) we choose to have with them.

• Like 2

Well, this has been fun.

Hey COLECOtm, you don't get to control what people say about you. What makes you think deleting message board threads would stop that?

Hey COLECOtm, what makes you think we are all thinking the same thing here, or that this is a coordinated attack? TPR has been patient and reasonable with you, and a moderating force in more ways than one. I don't have a stake in this other than enjoying the old game console, and I think your behavior has been an embarrassment to whatever it is you think you're building. I'm willing and able to say whatever I want in all kinds of media. It's your behavior that lit this fire, and you've done nothing but fan the flames.

Bullying is not the same thing as criticism.

Hey Cardillo, if your GI Joe toys are legit, why do you seem so determined to expunge any discussion of them? They're tangential to discussion of Coleco, but "the lady doth protest too much, methinks"

One more thing -- the whole world can edit Wikipedia. It cares more about truth than what makes a brand or business look good. I saw that you posted "please contact me before making changes." That's not how it works. You don't own Wikipedia, AtariAge, homebrewers.

I'm reminded of the Serenity Prayer, where you ask for the serenity to accept things you cannot change, the courage to change what you can, and THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.

• Like 7

Lots of drama. Glad I was able to experience Colecovision back in the 1980's - as a child who lived and breathed videogames. Glad I was innocent to all this petty bickering.

As original veteran enthusiasts of the platform my buddies and I know the original company is long gone. So whatever is going on today doesn't have a whole heckuva lotta meaning to us. Feels like a sideshow. Like I said.. Drama.

• Like 4