IGNORED

Coleco strong-arming homebrew publishers and fan sites

TPR

Here at work reading CC's latest post and it's making me so nauseous. Still trying to hold back and not go off on this individual but it's getting harder and harder. Man UP and apologize already!!! In what delusional world does this guy and his good friend FK live in where they're the victims in all this bull shit? Your wrongdoings and those of your little friend there are inexcusable no matter how many times you try to excuse it in your own minds. What is wrong is wrong and what is right is right, period. You screwed up big time Cardillo, yet you continue to dig yourself into a deeper hole. Keep at it and you'll reach China pretty soon.

It's probably too late to repair all the damage caused but you can draw the line somewhere. You keep pushing the line so far that you can't even see it anymore. The line is no longer a line but a DOT, a DOT to you sir.

We keep assuming that part of this is the company he's keeping but maybe he was never better than his current associations.

• Like 2

That's because it was a different situation.

Mike Kennedy/RetroVGS/Coleco Chameleon was a big promise that never came true, and was only revealed to be a big lie over a long time, after many failed attempts at collecting money and showing product. He was changing the team, covering up inconvenient questions, changing the specs, and evading scrutiny the whole time.

Cardillo/Coleco never had a product, or even a promise. He led with the offensive action up front (bogus copyright strike), followed by obnoxious attempts at deal-making and playing the victim.

Maybe it's a cultural difference between California and New Jersey.

CQFglZnVEAAeOVR.jpg

HAHAHA, I am from NY originally and have always felt like there is something VERY wrong with the people from this state, though I've met my share of West Coasters who also lack a good deal of common sense (Spent a year in Seattle during my 20's ha)

Man, I don't have a single bone in this argument, and I've never owned a ColecoVision or Adam in my life (although I'm seriously considering Project Prometheus -- hope that doesn't turn into vaporware!), but...all this garbage is yet another reason I left the Jersey shore eleven years ago.

Smart man, I stay home and play games 9/10, and only leave for work or when the band is traveling for gigs in other states haha

• Like 1

That's because it was a different situation.

Mike Kennedy/RetroVGS/Coleco Chameleon was a big promise that never came true, and was only revealed to be a big lie over a long time, after many failed attempts at collecting money and showing product. He was changing the team, covering up inconvenient questions, changing the specs, and evading scrutiny the whole time.

Cardillo/Coleco never had a product, or even a promise. He led with the offensive action up front (bogus copyright strike), followed by obnoxious attempts at deal-making and playing the victim.

Maybe it's a cultural difference between California and New Jersey.

In all fairness it was proven to be a scam by us at the time of the first crowdfunding effort when it was called the RVGS, few listened at that time, but eventually it became too obvious to ignore.

This latest fiasco is such an uncecessary waste of the hobby's energy and resources, and totally illogical because Chris and Coleco had generated a ton of good will when they stood up and took honorable and visible action when the CC scam was revealed. This feud has wiped out all that good will. At this point, I think that the smartest thing Chris can do is halt any efforts to explain or justify their position and just leave the community alone. Maybe a Colecovision or table top arcade will get featured as a prop in Guardians of the Galaxy 3 like the Mattel handheld and that will stir up a nostalgia for a modestly successful line of Coleco shirts at Target and they can see some profit on their investment in the brand.

I have never had a problem with their stated business model, the example I have used is PBR, Pabst went from a national brand to essentially gone yet it returned as a popular brand served nationwide, you see PBR shirts now and even Stern pinball created a PBR themed pin! Imagine if you bought the brand for a song when it was down and were able to craft that return? I think it is an interesting business idea, albeit a risky one. Buying and restoring distressed brands can be done without patent or copyright trolling.

And last but not least, when Socal played the victim card and tried to control the narrative by seeking to get videos, threads etc. removed that had almost as much of a backlash as the fake prototypes, copying this move is something that leaves me pretty much speechless, I honestly can't put the words together to explain the pointless, counter productive and illogical nature of this!

• Like 12

i have nothing to add to this conversation that hasn't already been said...
but i'd like to report the sad news that yesterday my colecovision* console stopped working, it no longer boots games, it is dead... and i suspect the cause of death was embarrassment...

* am i still allowed to type the word colecovision or will that incur the wrath of a bellend? cloacavision mebbe?

• Like 7

Heh.. Too bad RWB didn't offer to license the trademark to homebrewers for $1.00 a title, and then use their awesome marketing strength to promote the new games. Once they got the good graces of the community they could then hire out devs to make exclusive titles and then profit honestly. Maybe take a couple of years for penetration to take place. But there would have been no embarrassing infighting like showcased in this thread. A pipedream to be sure.

I was all for officially licensed games... I thought it was cool as hell that opcode had an officially licensed SGM and was more than willing to pay a premium for officially licensed games from all the home brewers. I wanted Coleco to make a comeback and to be in the good graces of the homebrew community. No way in hell do I feel that way now ... At this point, I would pay a premium to have the logo removed as it’s beginning to induce vomiting...

• Like 1

Heh.. Too bad RWB didn't offer to license the trademark to homebrewers for $1.00 a title, and then use their awesome marketing strength to promote the new games. Once they got the good graces of the community they could then hire out devs to make exclusive titles and then profit honestly. Maybe take a couple of years for penetration to take place. But there would have been no embarrassing infighting like showcased in this thread. A pipedream to be sure.

This is what Chris proposed to CollectorVision

Paying $1 (to Coleco Holdings) per copy sold for using the Colecovision logo

The ''only'' requirement was the game need to be an original game or a game we obtained liscence for

But with everyting happening now, we choose to not use the Colecovision logo on our games anymore

At least, not until Coleco Holdings resolved things with the community, IF that ever happens! (I'm not holding my breath)

As for CollectorVision, we just choose to move foward and focus on making more great CV games

• Like 20

The ''only'' requirement was the game need to be an original game or a game we obtained liscence for

If there was a "value add" such as potential tie-in with other Coleco products such as handhelds/flashbacks/mini-arcades, emulators for new-gen consoles, etc., it might have been worth it. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any value in this... and as of now, it's negative value. ;)

You know what Chris? If Barney the dinosaur was still alive, I could probably have him as my primary care physician. I could go to him when I'm not feeling well, when I find a lump where it doesn't belong, when I want to have a physical done...you get the gist.

But you know what Chris? I wouldn't have Barney the dinosaur as my primary care physician, and do you know why that is Chris?

Because Barney the dinosaur was a dick Chris, a big, freaking dick. He did bad things Chris, really bad things. Probably not a good idea for me to be anywhere near him.

You want to know why its probably not a good idea to be anywhere near him Chris? Because people tend to judge you by the company you keep. That's why Chris.

And if you haven't learned this yet in life, well, I can't freakin' teach you. I've already got two kids of my own. And yes, they already know about minding the company they keep.

If you haven't put the puzzle pieces together and realized why a certain person sought you out when they did well, again, I'm not here to teach you.

Its not always about treating others as they treat you: its about how they treat others as well. Again, company you keep.

This made my milk come out of my nose.

• Like 2

If there was a "value add" such as potential tie-in with other Coleco products such as handhelds/flashbacks/mini-arcades, emulators for new-gen consoles, etc., it might have been worth it. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any value in this... and as of now, it's negative value. ;)

For Flashback, ATGames is liscencing the Colecovision logo to Coleco Holdings

But the product is being made by ATGames

So, I would be open to have our game(s) included with the Flashback

• Like 3

Chris Cardillo just sent me a text asking if I had time to discuss this. The quick answer is "no." I'm in the middle of a family trip to New York City and the last thing I will have time for is a phone call with him. That being said, I just want to quote these two posts below: the post that Cardillo made last night and Albert's wonderful response this morning.

The *ONLY* thing I would have to discuss Chris is this question: What is your end goal in all of this?

And I do not want to have a phone conversation with you, it can be discussed and documented in text perfectly fine. Read through these two posts, Chris. Is it not clear to you yet that you have ZERO support from anyone in this community? You have now alienated everyone. It's actually impressive. So I ask you again...

What is your end goal in all of this? What exactly do you hope the outcome is? What are you trying to prove here?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to know the answer to this question.

128k, I don't really know this Doctor, I probably should-- but regardless, you make a good point.

See the comment that was made below by TPR. This was not made by Fred.

This was made by the MODERATOR of ATARIAGE.

This is the FACE of this site! Should we not hold TPR to a higher set of standards as the one entrusted to the keys to the site -- the keeper of policy?

Quite honestly, I one of my employees of Coleco ever talked to a client, supplier or co-worker in this fashion, he would be terminated immediately. And this is just one of many attacks that were incited or carried out.

Albert can you help us understand this a little better? Is this what you set out to create? Or do you possibly think that threads like this are a black eye on your site considering that your own moderate fans the flames, speaks to your users with such distain?

Should the FACE of the site be allowed to use the site to further a personal vendetta over a private business disagreement?

Albert, YOUR agent publicly incites your users to attempt to bully and personally attack people. Then they actually boost about it!

Albert, you have a voice here.

I have requested that your MODERATOR to STOP a number of times.

The harassment continues. One reader or member attempt to log into my Instagram last night. One reader or member attempted to delete my eBay items and who else knows what.

So 128k, when you say, be careful who you hang out with, i urge you to reconsider which side of the line you are truly on.

Most of you probably have kids who you hope to share your love of gaming. You want to get your kids involved with AtariAge. Is this the type of behavior that you want them to see. Do you want to teach them that its ok for their friends to gang up on people over persoanl disputes on Facebook??. What if it was YOUR kid who disagreed with the MODERATOR, the HEAD of the site. You know, the one who is supposed to keep the peace. How would you feel if the moderator said to him. "You all can kindly fuck right off" and you shove it as far up your ass as you can get it.

Please note that you ALL have a voice and a decision here. Every time we get close to resolution, we get great write ups and understanding things go a certain way. I can see that you reeeealy want to voice your opinion, but you don't.... why?

Oh I can see why you are all afraid. You seeee what happens when you don't fall in line (Can someone get me the Apple 1984 commercial, i'm busy up on my stump). What's happening here has happened on other sites with the some folks. You can do that research yourself.

If you feel like you would be victimized if you disagree, feel free to jump on our page were your constructive opinions (not your trolling) will be appreciated.

Unfortunately, as i said before, I don't plan on having someone Bully me or the people around me, or kids that i don't even know, or people that work for me, or with me.

I'm going to take a wild guess here and figure that some of you were bullied in school. The bully attempted to gather support before going-in on someone.

Correct?

You have two options here. You can join the ridicule, and the false accusations, or you can speak up. Hell, you can even ride the bench for all i care. But joining in the jokes and the going on other pages changing info, making fake profiles. That makes you a coward.

I'm sure a number of you watched some bully movies. The bully looks pretty stupid when everyone stops listening to them. Doesn't he?

When you get called to school and your kid is the one picking on kids, how you feel? When YOUR kid gets picked on how do you feel?

If anyone wants to talk to me direct. PM me. If you have a concern we can work it out as grown adults.

I've never backed down to a bully face to face, so I'll be damned if someone behind a keyboard is gonna make me sweat.

If you can read through these pages and the CVF site and not see this as an organized personal attack, then we will most likely never agree. The fact is, that most of you are reasonable and would have resolved this long ago.

Quite frankly, if i was Albert, i'd hit the reset button and have a long sit down with the head of the show who is running UNCHECKED with statements like the one below. Bad look. Real bad look.

The arc of the universe is long, but it bends towards justice. -MLK

I wanted everyone to know that I have recently received several emails from Coleco asking me to remove the threads Eduardo and Robb started on AtariAge with regards to Coleco (including this thread). The first email was sent by a “Rachel Machtay” from a Coleco-related email address. The next two messages were from Chris Cardillo himself. I did not respond to these messages, as I’ve found that it’s best to ignore trolls. Given that Chris Cardillo of Coleco Holdings LLC is now calling me out as being derelict in my duty to moderate the forum, I feel it's time to share the existence of these emails with everyone.

Chris believes he and Coleco are being unfairly attacked, that people are breaking various rules of the forum, and that AtariAge is obligated to take action on posts when our “Terms of Service” (Chris' words) are violated. Sorry, Chris, these are guidelines and they are generally used to take action when people are going above-board and being disruptive or offensive. I don’t see where that’s happened in these threads. By attacking the ColecoVision Fan page on Facebook you invited the criticism you are seeing. You are not the victim. The fact that you continue to refuse to rescind the unwarranted takedown notices on Facebook speaks volumes about your intent and your character. In these emails, Chris also attacked Robb’s character with libelous accusations, statements I’ve seen Chris make privately to others as well.
Yes, Robb is a moderator here on AtariAge, as are others. Moderators do so voluntarily on their own time and are not getting paid or compensated in any fashion. Do I feel Robb’s actions in this case reflect poorly on AtariAge as Chris suggests? No, he and others are simply bringing attention to the bullying Chris is inflicting on the community. Coleco has now tried to silence content they don’t approve of on ColecoVision Fan and AtariAge, both which have a large number of active ColecoVision fans and developers. They have also been editing Coleco-related Wikipedia pages in attempts to remove factual references that do not reflect favorably on the brand.
Chris Cardillo is not a friend of the ColecoVision community. It’s this community full of true ColecoVision fans that have kept the brand alive all these years. Chris, you are a leach and a stain on the Coleco and ColecoVision legacies. You seem incapable of comprehending that your words and actions reflect poorly on yourself and the Coleco brand. I’m not sure how you worked it out in your head that attacking the community would somehow rally people behind Coleco, especially with the Coleco Chameleon fiasco still fresh in everyone's mind.
Fortunately, the community does not need you, and they have already taken steps to avoid having to further interact with you and “Coleco” down the road.
..Al

• Like 9

Chris Cardillo just sent me a text asking if I had time to discuss this. The quick answer is "no."

Discuss what? It seems he just wants to tell you what you need to do to make this right. It's over, there is no way in hell Coleco can repair this.

• Like 1

This reminds me of the time when Google wanted forced everyone on YouTube to use Google Plus (+). Users, including myself, were extremely angry that someone would force something onto others they didn't want to use. Google finally realized (after a few years!!) it wasn't working. (I'm not surprised it took them that long to come to the realization it wasn't working even though people all over Youtube cried foul days after the forced Google + rule.)

It's the same way here by forcing others to do something one individual wants because of some trademark icon that can't be verified due to the lack of a symbol. When you force people to do something they don't want to do, because of a troll, you're going to get one hell of a backlash.

• Like 1

But with everyting happening now, we choose to not use the Colecovision logo on our games anymore

At least, not until Coleco Holdings resolved things with the community, IF that ever happens! (I'm not holding my breath)

As for CollectorVision, we just choose to move foward and focus on making more great CV games

That arrangement seems reasonable. I can't figure why he changed it to the whole "sell me your game at cost and the rights to make it ourselves." business he posted in the thread.