IGNORED

Coleco strong-arming homebrew publishers and fan sites

TPR

What would be really fun is a contest. If all the graphic guru types here designed some artwork for a Coleech-O game that does not exist.

Parody can be quite useful in spreading the word. Heck, maybe even a YouTube video in the style of the old commercials... but injecting a little truth of the current situation into the video. If a video was good enough to go viral, more people, even newbies would be clued into the situation.

I got an idea but I'm not a graphic guru. Who wants it? :D

Just make sure you did it clean room design. Also if there are patents active on it it won't matter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_room_design

If you read/disassembled the code and recreated the features your reverse engineering is tainted and likely won't hold against the copyright holder (if he/she exists that is or cares to file a DMCA complaint at all).

How did the CV Flashback do it? I bet AtGames thought that RWB claims were enough.

EDIT: even more how do they plan to have their new console work if they don't own the IP to the BIOS?

LAST: If the CV implemented anything similar to TMSS

http://segaretro.org/TradeMark_Security_System

then owning the TM equates to controlling the platform, I do not think it does but just thought of mentioning as I always thought Sega little trick was somewhat ingenious

That clean room stuff used in the old days because of "trade secrets". The developers would hire ex-employees of the console manufacturers so using some of their knowledge would be illegal use of trade secrets. The onus is on the developers to prove their work was done without trade secrets. Not sure if the "clean room" is required in all cases.

There was no encryption [or drm] and dmca does not apply. Even when there is drm, dmca allows for reverse engineering for the purpose of interoperability. [Dmca does change things, and it is complicated]

Regarding the CV Flashback we have been told that AT Games accepted whatever RWB gave them regarding the rights to third party software.

Both the Genesis and the NES had unlicensed games which was completely legal.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

Slackers - you need to keep on top of this. We're two posts into page 63 already and I'm having to do your job for you :twisted:

For what my opinion is worth, I find this constant repost of the videos pointless and annoying. Sticky posts are for that sort of thing.

• Like 7

For what my opinion is worth, I find this constant repost of the videos pointless and annoying. Sticky posts are for that sort of thing.

I agree, said something before about posting it elsewhere on their platforms. Nothing else though if the advice not taking and still repost videos maybe just a link would be better if possible. I have no room to talk though I know I can be annoying.

Edited by SignGuy81

TPR's been updating the first post with information, including that of the CUPodcast videos.

I agree, said something before about posting it elsewhere on their platforms. Nothing else though if the advice not taking and still repost videos maybe just a link would be better if possible. I have no room to talk though I know I can be annoying.

• Like 1

It's merely so anybody new to the discussion can see the videos instead of having to figure out what page it's on (the topic does have nearly 70 pages at this point). Rather than newcomers having to navigate between posts where it veers off-topic, the videos being on every page is a sure sign they don't miss it.

• Like 2

Hopefully a lawsuit is filed against these guys for the illegal bios and classic games on the CV Flashback. They don't own either one of those things, so how can they license it?

At this point, I don't have much to say. I'm just sitting back with a smile on my face because I'm confident that people like the Homebrew developers/publishers and Ben will find a way to make things work themselves out; I think the TM filings are just going to blow up in RWB's collective faces.

• Like 3

Hopefully a lawsuit is filed against these guys for the illegal bios and classic games on the CV Flashback. They don't own either one of those things, so how can they license it?

How do you know they didn't secure any rights or reverse engineered the bios. If a lawsuit were to happen it could be against RWB or AT Games or both.

Hard to say what they did to secure copyright licenses. But RWB did try to Trademark Sega's Zaxxon and Broderbunds "Choplifter!" [and Taito's "Jungle Hunt"]. Interestingly Data East's "Burgertime" had an active trademark by G-mode but with "Bump'n'jump" it's trademarked on the alternate name "Burnin Rubber". So the Flashback has Bump'njump but not Burgertime. Both those Data East games were programmed by Mattel and code sold to old Coleco with graphics and music now belonging to G-mode. The code for Zaxxon and Choplifter [and Jungle Hunt] also belonged to old Coleco. And some other rights belong to Sega and possibly Dan Gorlin. Not sure anyone knows who owns the copyright on the game code for these games today. Similarly for the Imagic games. Who owns the copyrights on those games. Someone might think if nobody knows then the likelyhood of getting sued is low. There is a long list of old games on the flashback none seem to show copyright credits.

Edited by mr_me

You can trademark a name. Software is not a name, its code. Pat's video covered that. Atgames says they licensed software from Coleco. How could that be possible when Coleco doesn't own the classic software? I bought a CV Flashback and I'm sure many people did here too. So what did I buy, software stolen by Coleco and then illegally licensed to Atgames? That seems to be the case.

• Like 2

You can trademark a name. Software is not a name, its code. Pat's video covered that. Atgames says they licensed software from Coleco. How could that be possible when Coleco doesn't own the classic software? I bought a CV Flashback and I'm sure many people did here too. So what did I buy, software stolen by Coleco and then illegally licensed to Atgames? That seems to be the case.

Some peeps are saying ATgames was one that got the licensed software since they had prior dealing on Atari and Intellvision which covers the same IP holders

Coleco just licensed their name to them

Some peeps are saying ATgames was one that got the licensed software since they had prior dealing on Atari and Intellvision which covers the same IP holders

Coleco just licensed their name to them

If you look at the packaging of the Intellivision Flashback it says copyright Intellivision Productions. One of the Atari flashbacks I have seen says copyright Atari Interactive. Neither of those companies cover the softwares on the CV Flashback.

Pretty sure someone else on here said Atgames licensed the classic CV games from Coleco. Would be great if someone knew for sure.

That's exactly what was said. [see post #1559] Edited by mr_me