IGNORED

Coleco strong-arming homebrew publishers and fan sites

TPR

You give it that long? :P

Chris is probably telling everyone that Sunday will be different and have amazing turnout, and by Monday Coleco Website will tell the story of a evil Cyberman that ruin a expo and the evils of cyber-bullying that hurt multi millionaires button line

141355.219fae9e-7ba8-4e7c-9879-fbc3b87b8

• Like 2

Even with great community outreach, would the attendance have been that much better? Seriously? No. Coleco is a DEAD brand name. When you say to people, do you want to come to a Coleco expo, they go "WTH are you talking about?" This was an idea that never made sense.

I personally would have liked to meet Tim Lapetino in person and congratulate him on the Art of Atari book, but I have a softball game tomorrow, and this expo is too far, like 45 minutes from me, to go beforehand. It's sad, I would LOVE if there was a true CGE/Philly Classic type of show, even if small, in the area. I always enjoy meeting and listening to panels from the programmers of the past.

• Like 3

Even with great community outreach, would the attendance have been that much better? Seriously? No. Coleco is a DEAD brand name. When you say to people, do you want to come to a Coleco expo, they go "WTH are you talking about?" This was an idea that never made sense.

The Expo could have made sense and been great if they had actually put on a good event. IMO, a handful of arcade machines, some wal-mart tables with consoles, mostly unknown guest speakers, random cosplayers, and featured vendors with garden gnomes and crochet knick-knacks doesn't make for a "great" retro gaming expo. Especially when not a single well-known retrogamer, homebrew publisher, or YouTuber was present.

It was not the "idea" that wasn't solid, it was the team behind it putting it all together.

• Like 3

The Expo could have made sense and been great if they had actually put on a good event. IMO, a handful of arcade machines, some wal-mart tables with consoles, mostly unknown guest speakers, random cosplayers, and featured vendors with garden gnomes and crochet knick-knacks doesn't make for a "great" retro gaming expo. Especially when not a single well-known retrogamer, homebrew publisher, or YouTuber was present.

It was not the "idea" that wasn't solid, it was the team behind it putting it all together.

Bingo! An expo needs better content for it to be appealing to the masses. To have good content, you need a team of people who know what appeals to people (of which Cardillo and friends are clueless about). Bad PR + arrogance + bad marketing + irrelevant content + bad timing = shit fest.

A Coleco expo would have made more sense if it were.... MORE COLECO. This made the final episode of How I Met Your Mother look like Citizen Kane. The timing of the expo would have been better once Mello and others are nearing the release of their systems (that would be huge news and a huge appeal to Coleco gamers and retro gamers of other systems, as well); unfortunately, I doubt they would have been part of the expo at any time simply because Cardillo and his fellow idiots pretty much alienated the entire homebrew community and its developers.

Cardillo and friends basically ruined and eliminated any and all positive possibilities long before this colossal failure even began.

• Like 1

Feel bad for the vendors and the folks who traveled and planned to have fun there.

Seriously, all you needed was tumbleweeds at that event.

Maybe if this event were held at Chiller Theater in New Jersey in May or October things would have been better.

Though I have no idea what they charge vendors at those events.

Since that thing is a toy/comics/celebrity meet and greet event there would have been allot of people to relive Coleco memories.

Who knows if they have another one of these next year now though.

Cardillo needs to fix this mess he's created.

Looking at other major events at this Expo center they are usually around 5-15 dollars per ticket and usually that means also some gifts like food or toys;

Apparently some of the events in the past have packed the center

Coleco was asking 20-34 US dollar per ticket with no real added value to anyone except for Coleco Greed

For example

Greenberg’s Great Train & Toy Show Edison, NJ

Adult Admission is $10 Saturday or $9 Sunday (on-site ticket sales cash only) All Saturday tickets good for both days

Kids 11 and under are admitted free and do NOT need a ticket.

offers Free Workshops and Demonstrations, On-Site Train Repairs, Free Test Track – Test Run Your Trains at the Show, 130+ Exhibitors from Across the Country, 500+ Tables of Trains for Sale

• Like 2

thats sad to look at, heck even a small show like my VGS got over 200 people this year, even though at start we had 50 but we kept growing.

I hope you rented a small community center or gym or bar for the first one, and not a huge convention center. ;)

• Like 1

I hope you rented a small community center or gym or bar for the first one, and not a huge convention center. ;)

it was small meeting room in a hotel we had from 2003 to 2014, the place and hotel had a management split and 2015 we moved to another venue we had good amount people but wasn't a good location, 2016 we moved to sports expo and we had good luck there.

our only really bad year 2006 weather was too hot and not a lot people came, almost decided to end it but people want it to continue so in 2008 we came back.

(the first years we did take a small loss around 100 or so '06 took major hit about 300, when came back in 08(took a break in 07) we picked up steam starting gaining )

it was small meeting room in a hotel we had from 2003 to 2014, the place and hotel had a management split and 2015 we moved to another venue we had good amount people but wasn't a good location, 2016 we moved to sports expo and we had good luck there.

our only really bad year 2006 weather was too hot and not a lot people came, almost decided to end it but people want it to continue so in 2008 we came back.

(the first years we did take a small loss around 100 or so '06 took major hit about 300, when came back in 08(took a break in 07) we picked up steam starting gaining )

btw our first shows is where the glendale coco fest is at, was also the the c64 and midwest vintage computer fest was at.

I don't how coco fest gets to hold the event,since the person at the hotel told us the building manager don't to use it for public events after 2014

I personally would have liked to meet Tim Lapetino in person and congratulate him on the Art of Atari book

Tim is cool. We writers all went out to dinner last night and had a great time together. We figure we'll have a great time today whether anyone shows up or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by rolenta