IGNORED

Coleco strong-arming homebrew publishers and fan sites

TPR

Say, if anyone not affiliated with a certain holding company wants to start selling "ColeechcoVision" t-shirts, I'll buy one if it's under $20.00. :-D :thumbsup:

It 'appears' that name would be more to the truth... but that is just my opinion.

I could do a run at cost + shipping if enough people are interested, and if you like my design.

It's easy to make your own nowadays, too.

Watch out though, the ColecoVision logo is the one thing these chumps actually own!

post-2410-0-77304900-1496947148.png

• Like 11

Here's a quote from Mr. Thomanns Twitter feed: "Coleco/ColecoVision products but will not move forward with any potential partner that is not 100 percent transparent with our fan base." I rest my case.

If they shrink their fan base, there are fewer people to worry about!

• Like 1

Watch out though, the ColecoVision logo is the one thing these chumps actually own!

You mean the logo they couldn't even get there hands on without getting it from someone else?

I dig your shirt design, by the way.

• Like 4

http://segaretro.org/PlayPal_Plug_%26_Play

Here's something similar called the PlayPal plugnplay, with similar games except this one is advertised as "fully licensed by Sega of Japan". The Coleco Sonic says that "Sega has no affiliation with the Coleco console hardware".

So just like the Coleco Flashback, is RWB copying and selling software without permission on the Coleco Sonic?

Appears to be a fully legal product, just that they didn't pay for product support from Sega after they got Sega licencing

• Like 1

Appears to be a fully legal product, just that they didn't pay for product support from Sega after they got Sega licencing

Yes, the manufacturer likely used the same Sega license that is shown on their non-Coleco branded variations of the game. That bit on the front might be just to explain that these games were never on a Colecovision. I saw this thing in a store a couple of years ago and wondered why anyone would brand Sonic games with Coleco. Anyway on the back of the package it does credit copyright of the game software to Sega. Unlike the Colecovision Flashback which doesn't seem to have any copyright credits on the packaging.

They'll put any of their marks on anything if they get paid enough, and missing the point is par for the course. From their page:

Brim, which was once a decaf brand (that's why you can fill it to the rim, not just have half a cup) is now regular coffee.

Aiwa was a Japanese brand, then went under Sony's wing, and now is being used in Chinese iPod docks.

Underalls is from the time when women wore pantyhose all the time, "a liberating brand during a time of women's liberation." So ... "The team is working diligently to launch the new Underalls product line."

Handspring was a Palm compatible mini computer. Now it's gonna be a LifeLink type thing that has nothing to do with the old mark.

Spuds McKenzie, disgraced beer dog, is being exploited in different ways: "We have launched both a line of pet accessories and vitamins to help those older party animals with their aches and pains. Also, the Spud McKenzie Bar & Grill opened in Cleveland prior to Super Bowl LI."

Honestly, I don't quite understand their reluctance to show a little skin. They've demonstrated that their ethics are up for sale, they're just haggling over the price.

• Like 2

We've seen them go after people for less. This is parody, and in my opinion, fair use, but you know what they say about opinions.

Parody qualifies under the definition of fair use, just like the parody of the Candy Man song I wrote about the stupid clown. Love your logo!