IGNORED

Coleco strong-arming homebrew publishers and fan sites

TPR

So I made a comment on Coleco's Kickstart yesterday, I was actually the first commenter, but they deleted it from the page. I remade my comment today posing my same concerns.

So I made the 1st comment on this page yesterday and it was deleted... which imo is pretty shady. I'll write the same comment I made yesterday. Why is shipping so expensive? You said retail is $69 bucks but my grand total is 65 with shipping, so I'm saving 4 dollars on retail by being an early bird backer... I gotta say thats pretty terrible and barely a deal when youre supporting getting this project on its feet. How do you justify the $20 shipping cost in the USA? Ive gotten an old coleco mini cab shipped for 8 dollars priority and im assuming the old cabs are heavier than these new ones as itll have less electronics... I got a 50in TV shipped last month for 8 bucks. How can you justify doubling the cost of shipping on an item that will fit in a priority box? Comes off as an extra money grab also comes off bad when you delete the comment inquiring about it.

• Like 4

I know these aren't Donkey Kong / Pac-Man, but they're still hitting the same nostalgia feels for me. Anyone have any insight on the actual games? Who's developing them? And would anyone recommend against backing this, given the current Coleco holder's recent track record?

Edited by SpotAnime

Interesting to see it wasn't just our community they were crappy to. I never knew about this before...

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-05-08 at 9.35.46 PM.png

https://makerware.thingiverse.com/thing:2220273

Is that individual sure it was Coleco that issued the DMCA takedown? That seems very strange even by DMCA standards. What kind of trademark or copyright claim would Coleco have on a battery cover?

• Like 1

The random modern games and full motion screen completely clash with the mini cabs and kill any nostalgia.

I was thinking that the big arcade "hood" is no longer necessary when you have a bright LCD screen inside. I still think it's a "cute" idea (not enough to put money into it), but yeah, this totally seems like a nostalgia item. Nothing wrong with that, and with crowdfunding, they only make as many as the market wants.

Quick question for the mini-cabinet fans: were these that well made in ye olden days? I don't trust my memories from when I was 12.

So I made a comment on Coleco's Kickstart yesterday, I was actually the first commenter, but they deleted it from the page. I remade my comment today posing my same concerns.

So I made the 1st comment on this page yesterday and it was deleted... which imo is pretty shady. I'll write the same comment I made yesterday. Why is shipping so expensive? You said retail is $69 bucks but my grand total is 65 with shipping, so I'm saving 4 dollars on retail by being an early bird backer... I gotta say thats pretty terrible and barely a deal when youre supporting getting this project on its feet. How do you justify the $20 shipping cost in the USA? Ive gotten an old coleco mini cab shipped for 8 dollars priority and im assuming the old cabs are heavier than these new ones as itll have less electronics... I got a 50in TV shipped last month for 8 bucks. How can you justify doubling the cost of shipping on an item that will fit in a priority box? Comes off as an extra money grab also comes off bad when you delete the comment inquiring about it.

As someone who's preorderdd the Super NT from Analogue, shipping can be all over the ballpark.
  • Like 1

They have absolutely no right to those molds or techincal drawings. That is retarded. I've been a cad designer for many years and know goes into making these projects. You can't claim because of a logo squating that you then too own technology designs of said company as well. What's next they start pretending they have a copy right on leather products?

Take the word coleco out of the design files name. Picade is gone too. They have no right to do so. I hope the files are switfly put back up.

Interesting to see it wasn't just our community they were crappy to. I never knew about this before...

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-05-08 at 9.35.46 PM.png

https://makerware.thingiverse.com/thing:2220273

Edited by digress
  • Like 1

I can see how the DMCA takedown would be effective, as "Coleco" has a trademark on "battery operated unit for playing electronic games."

It takes a special kind of jackass to act against someone making a battery door cover on Thingverse though.

I doubt it's a dmca takedown. Dmca can only be used for copyright violations. And as far as I know RWB has no Coleco copyrights and there is no copyright on a battery cover. Likely a trademark violation if the Coleco logo was used somewhere on the page.

Edit:

The thing is that making a battery cover is not a violation of anyone's intellectual property. You certainly have the right to say it's for a Coleco electronic game. Using a stylised trademarked logo would be a violation.

Edited by mr_me

I doubt it's a dmca takedown. Dmca can only be used for copyright violations. And as far as I know RWB has no Coleco copyrights and there is no copyright on a battery cover. Likely a trademark violation if the Coleco logo was used somewhere on the page.

I don't know either way ... but yeah, maybe the special kind of jackass used the complaint box because it said COLECO in the description. That seems par for the course with these jokers. I wouldn't want to do business with them, not as a customer and certainly not as a partner.

post-2410-0-63810900-1526049463_thumb.pngpost-2410-0-15168300-1526049472_thumb.pngpost-2410-0-19558800-1526049553_thumb.png

• Like 3

Edit:

The thing is that making a battery cover is not a violation of anyone's intellectual property. You certainly have the right to say it's for a Coleco electronic game. Using a stylised trademarked logo would be a violation.

I don't know either way ... but yeah, maybe the special kind of jackass used the complaint box because it said COLECO in the description. That seems par for the course with these jokers. I wouldn't want to do business with them, not as a customer and certainly not as a partner.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-05-11 at 10.34.34 AM.pngattachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-05-11 at 10.34.46 AM.pngattachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-05-11 at 10.38.47 AM.png

I wish I could recall who it was, but Cardillo was telling one of those Youtube video show guys that his book with a Coleco logo, among others, on the cover was a "big no-no" and the guy shut him up pretty quick with all the precedent to the contrary.

• Like 1

If you are writing a book about Coleco than using trademarked or copyrighted images could be fair use. As long as it's clear that Coleco did not write or endorse the book. With a battery cover there is no reason to have a stylised coleco logo but you have every right to say it's for the coleco donkey kong electronic game for example.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 3

If you are writing a book about Coleco than using trademarked or copyrighted images could be fair use. As long as it's clear that Coleco did not write or endorse the book. With a battery cover there is no reason to have a stylised coleco logo but you have every right to say it's for the coleco donkey kong electronic game.

So, its about using the logo in a way that may make people think it is Coleco endorsed without paying them a fee.

• Like 1