IGNORED

Coleco strong-arming homebrew publishers and fan sites

TPR

This post is full of inaccuracies. I will post a full response later tonight. I'm in NYC with my family at the moment and don't have time to respond now, but I will be more than happy to show how the points made in this post are false.

• Like 8

This post is full of inaccuracies. I will post a full response later tonight. I'm in NYC with my family at the moment and don't have time to respond now, but I will be more than happy to show how the points made in this post are false.

Considering you don't make any money on any homebrew game, and Chris only like's journalist's that don't have a mind of their own

Considering you don't make any money on any homebrew game, and Chris only like's journalist's that don't have a mind of their own

I should file an infringement claim against Cardillo for having the same first name as me. With he and I sharing the same first name, it becomes confusing for people who can't tell the difference between a gamer and a douchebag.

• Like 10

"For use on the ColecoVisionTM Platform. Not developed, licensed, or endorsed by the asshats at ColecoTM Holdings, LLC."

I think every homebrew publisher should put that exact quote on every game. You Sir, are a literary genius, I salute you two times.

• Like 6

1 dollar per game for a mafia. Who cares.

I feel sorry for the programmers caught in the middle of this.

Notice how all Rainbow brite threads have been deleted?

I always swore I would buy all of Bobs games and I may have to break that promise if money HAS to go to coleco.

I never had a problem giving Albert etc. money but I just can not pay coleco.

I do not see ANY value here.

Please stay unlicensed. The logo will not make your games any better who needs it?

• Like 11

I suppose it is nit-picky, but the image of Donkey Kong Coleco Holdings used for its expo logo is taken from this image (mirrored) :

post-4291-0-80684800-1496968110.png

That image is of Donkey Kong as depicted in video games produced by Nintendo® (NES DK). Using that image is more likely to confuse consumers about the source, endorsement or affiliation of the expo's goods and services than this image :

post-4291-0-45087600-1496968569.png

or even this image :

post-4291-0-51416500-1496968223.png

Edited by Great Hierophant
  • Like 3

Somehow I must have butthurt that turd as I can no longer respond to posts on his sorry facebook page.

And deleted all my posts! Poor baby can't handle the truth so he deletes it.

So he acts like a dictator who censors anything he finds unfavorable about him and his "company" but he gets offended when he is compared to dictators who do the same thing.

Also, does anyone know the backstory of this product? This looks like circa 2006 and appears to be a mini Game Gear with Coleco printed on it. Mr. Thomann in a 2016 interview stated that Coleco Holdings released it.

Mark Thomann interview: http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=120:markthomanninterview&catid=91&Itemid=160

Thanks for the link! Man, I sucked back then.

Yeah, with no surprise for a RWB product, the Coleco Sonic was just a rebranded handheld from our beloved AtGames.

2576299001_86331ec8d1_b.jpg

I think this one was only sold in the UK though, so maybe the Coleco version included a switch to NTSC TV out?? I dunno, TV out never worked on mine.

Despite that, I really enjoyed the Coleco Sonic and when a fan asked me recently what was the best cheap handheld I've reviewed that exceeded my expectations, I told him it was this one. With a few exceptions the games they included aren't bad and the senseless Coleco nameplate, especially considering that there's no Coleco games on it, gave it a nice curio appeal. Pat and Ian had it wrong though, the games included are from the Sega Master System, not Genesis/MD.

It's weird looking at that video from three years ago when I was pretty indifferent to RWB's involvement with Coleco, maybe even seeing it as progress, and now look where we're at. I'm not sure why Coleco took such a dark turn towards its biggest fans but I hope they can redirect this wasted effort into handhelds like the Sonic and try to repeat that success. Were these products top of the line? No. Did these products even make any sense for the Coleco brand? No. Did the Coleco name rise from the ashes like a mighty Phoenix? No. But there was a certain honesty, self awareness and irony that went into those products that even their toughest critics wouldn't be able to knock. Hopefully someone higher up the chain will take notice of what's going on now and end this madness.

• Like 5

Coleco is, and will continue to be, a big supporter of independent developers. We encourage, and where possible celebrate, homebrew developers creating new, original, games for our platforms. To this extent, Coleco has hired three independent developers to create a brand-new game based on the Rainbow Brite license. Coleco is creating legitimate, paying, jobs in the retro gaming community something we will continue to do in the future.

However, Coleco still has an obligation to protect its trademarks and to protect its buyers. Please note that this means that while we encourage independent creation of homebrew games for Colecovision, those titles cannot be marketed in a manner that suggests to potential buyers that Coleco is the source of the games. If a homebrew game has a large picture of the Coleco logo, that is confusing to potential buyers. If a homebrew game simply states: For Use on the ColecoVision Platform in plain text in smaller text at the bottom of the label, we agree that is a fair use of the trademark. Essentially, the labels should not confuse consumers or amount to counterfeit merchandise, which is what occurred here.

Dear Coleco,

You are protecting your platforms? May I ask what platforms you think you own?

You can claim whatever you want until you explode, and yet nothing changes the fact you only own a name. You aren't being generous or encouraging anything, since you have no saying beyond your trademarked name.

I will help you, repeat with me: "I will stop pretending the ColecoVision is my platform". Again, "I will stop pretending the ColecoVision is my platform". Good.

You see, the only one causing consumer confusion here is you, by pretending you created or own a platform.

Now you can cry, you can scream, you can huff and you can puff, and still you don't own the ColecoVision. You are just a sad delusional, envious, arrogant little man...

• Like 21